Prior Salvage Title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the differance between a Prior Salvage Title and a regular Salvage Title? I've seen both, and the car I am considering has a Prior Salvage Title. Should I walk away or is it OK?

check YOUR STATE laws. They're so wishy washy, though they're supposed to tighten that up with electronic titles. Someone could take a title to another state that doesn't have an exact equivalent, then they take a wild guess or get lucky and just give clear title.

Sounds like a "prior salvage" has been rebuilt and considered roadworthy, while "Salvage" needs to be inspected before being put back on the road.

What sort of car are we talking about?

Also, call your insurance company. It's not a pleasant surprise to purchase a vehicle and then find out your insurer refuses to write policies for salvage/prior salvage vehicles. I once worked for a large insurer and existing policy holders who wanted liability coverages (forget coll/comp) for salvage vehicles were referred to lesser-known, marginal companies (ie, Dairyland, Vern Fonk...places that specialize in SR-22 and other nightmare situations).

In this regard, state titling & registration might be the minor issue when it comes to owning a salvaged vehicle.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

What sort of car are we talking about?

1993 Blazer 4x4 (Winter car)

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Was it in an accident or a theft recovery ?

Accident

93? Don't think twice! It's a body on frame so it'll take some whacks.

I had a "rebuilt vehicle" cutlass ciera that I had no problems with related either to the wreck (I knew the guy that rebuilt it and trusted him) or getting insurance.

Salvage means that it was totaled in an accident or theft or flood etc then repaired. Prior salvage usually means that it was totaled in one state then reregistered in another state in an attempt to hide the salvage title which would make it worth more w/o a salvage on it.

A car with a salvage title is not worth as much as a car with a clean record. Usually about 1/3 the value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back