Rotella T6 synthetic vs Valvoline Prem Blue synth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone compared the 2. I currently am running the Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 but will be switching back to synthetic soon. Not sure if anyone has compared UOA of the two.

T6 is most likely more available, and will cost less.

Add-packs are actully quite similar, I think.

Prem Blue synth? Do you mean Synpower?

T6 is a diesel oil. Synpower is a gasoline oil. What car/engine is this for?

Regardless, if your engine calls for an Xw-40 oil, either one of these should work fine.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Prem Blue synth? Do you mean Synpower?

T6 is a diesel oil. Synpower is a gasoline oil. What car/engine is this for?

Regardless, if your engine calls for an Xw-40 oil, either one of these should work fine.

Valvoline Premium Blue is a diesel engine oil.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/commercial-industrial-products/oem-endorsed-products/10

Oh, OK. So when he says "Premium Blue synth" he must be talking about this:
http://www.valvoline.com/products/commercial-industrial-products/oem-endorsed-products/11

Didn't know this thing existed. How much does it sell for?

I have found most OTC Diesel syns and Dinos are very similar. You really wont notice any difference between the any of them. We use Delvac for our normal changes and redline for synthetic changes. Baldwin filters for Dino and Stratpores for syn.

Some customers supply their own oil. The Cummins guys have it in their heads the premium blue is the greatest. I think its only because it has cummins on the lable though

Premium Blue Extreme is the 5W40 synthetic HDEO-it can be hard to find, usually has to be gotten from a Valvoline distributor, around $25/gallon. Premium Blue 15W40 is the dino HDEO that is much easier to find (AZ, AAP, others) and is often on sale for $11.99/gallon or so. If you search the diesel UOA section there is a member with BIG miles on regular PB with (almost unbelievable) wear #s.

PB Extreme is most similar to M1 TDT. Identical HTHS, but more Phos.
RT6 is a little stronger in HTHS, but has the same Phos.

Looking at the other oils on the page, I see that PB Classic is back. That is one stout conventional oil. I ran it for years. It is CI4+ rated, and has never been updated to CJ4. We Cummins guys love it because of 1500ppm Phos, and a TBN of 12. I used to do 15000-mile OCI's on this oil.

Here is a link to the pds: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/PBC.pdf

no, premium blue extreme synthetic. I have a diesel. I have used both, just didnt know if one was better than the other. The viscosity of the T6 was higher than normal when i did the UOA recently

I see Valvoline Extreme Blue at certain NAPA and Carquest stores. I see Shell RTS at Advance Auto, Autozone, Pep Boys, and Wal Mart.

That in mind, I don't know if Extreme Blue has any advantage or disadvantage in terms of durability when compared to Shell RTS.

I use PBX 5W40 exclusively in my '04 Ford 6.0 company van, it is now up to 240K miles, no oil-related troule whatsoever, it is on it's ORIGINAL variable-vane turbo, which spools up as well as it did new. Hauling 9K in total weight every day, occasionally 3-7K tandem enclosed trailer in addition, engine runs HOT in summer, I usually look at the cartridge oil filter when VIOC changes it, barely looks dirty after a 5K OCI. Usually only uses less than a quart in 5K too. I'm a believer, now if they could get the price down a little...

If you find a Cummins repair shop, like Cummins Northeast or Cummins Rocky Mountain, they usually have. I used to get it for my father, about a year ago it was 19.99 a gallon. Might be more now. It is good stuff but really isn't too much different than Rotella T6. Either oil should serve your truck very well!

Wait you live in South FLA? Are you going to run very long OCIs? If not, I doubt you will ever notice a difference between the 5w40 and the 15w40 IMHO.

If I understand it correctly, the VPBE is more like T6 than the Mobil Delvac 1 and Mobil TDT. The Mobil products are primarily PAO group IV and that's why they cost more. The VPBE is a group III high end like the T6.

If I'm off base here, please correct me.

If I'm right, then I'd tend towards the T6 simply because of price and ease of attainment (sits on about every Wallyworld shelf you see).

They are both excellent products and are great for extended OCIs. But, if extended OCI aren't your cup of tea, then the dino version will do every bit as well for a lot less cash.

Valvoline Premium Blue, has been updated and is currently available in API-SM, CJ-4.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/pbud.pdf

Unfortunately, the link that you posted was for the older version of Valvoline Premium Blue in API-SL.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
PB Extreme is most similar to M1 TDT. Identical HTHS, but more Phos.
RT6 is a little stronger in HTHS, but has the same Phos.

Looking at the other oils on the page, I see that PB Classic is back. That is one stout conventional oil. I ran it for years. It is CI4+ rated, and has never been updated to CJ4. We Cummins guys love it because of 1500ppm Phos, and a TBN of 12. I used to do 15000-mile OCI's on this oil.

Here is a link to the pds: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/PBC.pdf

There are two Premium Blue's: the version rated CJ4 for 2007 and newer trucks, and Classic which is rated CI4+ for pre-2007 trucks. I prefer Classic for my truck because of its higher TBN and zddp content. Classic went away in 2009 and it took me until late 2010 to use up my stash. Valvoline must has just brought it back because the date on the spec sheet is 6-8-2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back