Red Line 5W-50 2011 GT500 Shelby - high oxidation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received this report from a fellow GT500 owner who was using Red Line 5W-50 for 2,118 miles. The car has just over 10,000 total miles. Wear numbers look to be acceptable, but look at how low TBN is, and how high oxidation is.

Did the base stock oxidization increase viscosity and make it appear that it didn't shear much as expected from it's virgin 20.9 cSt spec (VOA tested)?

I would assume the test wasn't inaccurate for oxidation since TBN is so low.

Thoughts and input required. Thanks.

RedLine5W-50UOA2118miles.jpg

I would expect the oxidation # is a result of high oil temperatures. Could it be that that this is the result of many runs feeling the pleasure of that 630 RWHP? Enjoy! FWIW--Oldtommy

The esters in the base stock contain oxygen, which gives a false positive for oxidation. You need a sample of virgin oil to serve as a baseline. The low TBN is puzzling.

Ed

I would say go back and try again with Redline 10w-40. Fewer VII's may reduce oxidation. This would be a good UOA to show to Redline and get their comments.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
I would expect the oxidation # is a result of high oil temperatures. Could it be that that this is the result of many runs feeling the pleasure of that 630 RWHP? Enjoy! FWIW--Oldtommy

I certainly hope so. What a waste it would be otherwise!

This was not taken from my 630 rwhp Shelby, it was a stock 2011 GT500 ~500 rwhp. He drives it daily, and has never been at the track. He does drive it aggressively on the street though.

Here is a UOA from my Shelby using Amsoil.

1st run was 20W-50
2nd and 3rd run was the same fill of 10W-40

3rd run mile of interval was 4,124 miles (miles listed is incorrect).

10W-40ShelbyUOA2jpeg.jpg

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Can't high-ester formulations inherently produce high oxidation numbers?
+1

Yes, but I still wouldn't rule out heat. Redline's oil should have anti-oxidation additives to fight an ester's tendency to cause oxidation.

I've been running ester-rich Motul 300V for over a year and I have yet to see anything about oxidation in my reports. And yes, my car sees track time.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Yes, but I still wouldn't rule out heat. Redline's oil should have anti-oxidation additives to fight an ester's tendency to cause oxidation.

It's not that they cause higher oxidation per se. It's that they cause high oxidation numbers on UOAs.

I've been running ester-rich Motul 300V for over a year and I have yet to see anything about oxidation in my reports. And yes, my car sees track time.

Do your UOAs even include oxidation tests? I just took a quick glance at two of them and didn't see that.

Tell him to go back to OAI with the lubricant name and ask them if the esters in RL could affect the oxidation numbers. I've been flagged for high oxidation, and they said it could have been from the different oils I was using.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

It's not that they cause higher oxidation per se. It's that they cause high oxidation numbers on UOAs.

Do your UOAs even include oxidation tests? I just took a quick glance at two of them and didn't see that.

Good point, I just realized they don't....

I suspected the nature of an ester base stock was high oxidation readings, more due to inaccuracies in the test, not actual.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I still go back to the TBN and it just puzzles me why it was so low. I would not use such an expensive oil during break-in.

Had the TBN been closer to 5-7 for only a 2100 mile run, I would feel more at ease about my prior thoughts. I don't know that I'd consider this a break in oil when the car has 10,000 miles on it.

The wear metals rival the best we have seen in the GT500 engines, so that's not an issue at all. I was only concerned with Oxidation and TBN.

The owner of this car has two 2011 GT500, one red and the other Kona blue. He drives the blue car, the wife drives the red one. This sample is from her car. Her new fill of oil is Amsoil 10W-40, and she already has experienced an efficiency increase. I guess the idea of Red Line 5W-50 wasn't the best idea since it doesn't shears rapidly like Motorcraft 5W-50. It retains a viscosity that I have proven to be to much for a Ford modular driven on the street.

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
I guess the idea of Red Line 5W-50 wasn't the best idea since it doesn't shears rapidly like Motorcraft 5W-50. It retains a viscosity that I have proven to be to much for a Ford modular driven on the street.

Their 5W50 HTHS viscosity of 5.9 cSt is higher than necessary for our cars too IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back