what is a good fan belt dressing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one have experience with fan belt dressings? Do you have any to recomend to me? Is the one made by gunk any good?
Thanks guys!

The only dressing I like is Western.

If the belt squeaks it is most likely worn out. Replace it and the tensioner.

If the belt is tensioned properly then its probably worn out or damaged. As has been mentioned, check the belt tensioner(s), rust or grease or anything similar on the pulleys.

Forget belt dressings.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Forget belt dressings.

+1
You are asking for tow truck trouble by not replacing.
I have temporarily stopped squeals with bar soap, but only to get another belt and tensioner.

If you have to use some in the meantime, Pyroil (made by Valvoline) is the best out of many I have tried. It was the only one that worked on my old Jeep Cherokee.

Quote:
what is a good fan belt dressing

None. Seriously they just mask a problem for a short time.
IMHO one of those worthless products that doesn't even belong on the market.

Use Gates products and change the belt and/or the belt tensioner. Fix any coolant or oil leaks that may get on the belt.

I've used WD-40 to temporarily quiet a chronically squeaky belt, it didn't last. I tried some sort of spray on belt dressing once, and then it started squealing like the proverbial "stuck pig". Yeah, new belt time...

Go through the Dayco Q and A. It used to be recommended on here to put dielectric grease on the belt. We tried that and belt dressing before and what actually worked was.............a new belt.

I've tried a lot, and all sorts of substitutes.
Many things will work for a while, but usually end up being noisier than before.

Belt dressings are OK for ancient leather drive belt systems -maybe.

But on modern belts, forget it!

Replacing the belt and whatever is failing on the belt drive is the only solution.

My dad once tried using canned belt dressing on a 1995 Honda Accord. The noise quickly came back, and under the hood, there was a real mess where the belt dressing got thrown off the belt.

Out of everything I ever used over the years silicone spray worked the best.

However, if the belt looks ok and the tensioner seems to be working.. Try taking the belt off and cleaning all the pullies with a good carb cleaner or something of the such. Check the belt, both sides, to see if anything is on it or for any abnormalities.

Check and see if either edge of the belt has more wear than the other. I've seens pullies out of alignment very slightly that would end up causing any belt to start sqealing eventually.

HOWEVER, 9 times out of 10, I'd give the same advise I gavemy customers. Replace the belt AND/OR the tensioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back