Synthetic vs. conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between synthetic oil, synthetic blend and conventional oil?? I just had my oil changed and the Quick Lube guy said I needed a synthetic blend. I have a 2003 Lexus 300 ES with about 110,000 miles with average driving habits, nothing unusual.

My owner's manual says to use "API Grade SL "Energy-conserving" or ILSAC multigrade engine oil. Viscosity is SAE 5W-30. It doesn't say anything about a synthetic or synthetic blend. Is synthetic a part of the API Grade or is this different? Do I need a synthetic blend or is conventional o.k.? Thanks!

You do not "need" anything but conventional oil, changed at the intervals suggested in your owners manual. The oil guy was just trying to upsell you to make more profit. You do not need synthetic oil unless you do extended interval oil changes.

Originally Posted By: mash
I just had my oil changed and the Quick Lube guy said I needed a synthetic blend.

Did you ask him why? Actually, don't bother... he'll just feed you more khrap.

Another reason to stay away from quickie lube places and start doing your own oil changes.
smile.gif

Welcome to BITOG!

As others mentioned, whether you need mineral or synthetic will depend on how often you want to change your oil. Synthetic allows you to run much longer oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
18.gif
News from quickly lube places can generally be discarded without a second thought.

+1
43.gif

Your driving per year is about 12k miles, if most your trips are more than 10 miles and at least half of it is highway then you can just follow the manual OCI(oil change interval) with conventional oil and I assume it is 5k miles. If you use synthetic blend then you can do 6k/6mo OCI. If you use full synthetic then you may be able to do 12k/12mo OCI.

SL spec is quite outdated. i'm pretty sure the dealership uses conventional as bulk oil (i'm sure its good conventional oil but conventional nonetheless). I highly doubt its a synthetic blend. It would have said something in the manual.

That doesn't mean you can't spring for the semi-synth to give that ol' Lexus some lovin'.

you should do alot of reading before you even think about extended drains. after a little education if you feel your engine is a good candidate for it (no mechanical or sludge problems) you can slowly stretch them out with UOAs.

all that being said the only other reason to buy syn(if not required by the OEM) is if your engine needs extra cleaning. (like maybe it missed a couple oil changes) synthetics are also very good at cleaning up an engine.

odds are 100-1 you dont need a syn for any other reason than you just want it and any name brand conventional oil will serve your car well. its hard to find an SL motor oil any more because now oil is 2 grades better. SM and SN rated oils are usually whats on the shelf now and rest well knowing they have much stricter qualifications to meet now when it comes to preventing wear, preventing sludge build up, and having enough "guts" to suit cars with longer factory recommended drain intervals.

To sum all that up all you need is plain ole Pennzoil, QuakerState,Valvoline, or Castrol or whatever and your car will be just fine. the important thing is to look for that circle on the bottle that says for gasoline engines only and american petroleum institute.

welcome to BITOG!!

Mobil 1 High Mileage is still API SL, and it's an excellent oil. The price is a lot more palatable if you change it yourself, of course.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Mobil 1 High Mileage is still API SL, and it's an excellent oil. The price is a lot more palatable if you change it yourself, of course.

yep and its a great synthetic oil! the only problem is it can cost double what you might pay for a jug of conventional quakerstate, pennzoil or mobil 5000, which would be good enough.

synthetic is not needed but if were going to use it in this application, Mobil 1 High Mileage would be my pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back