Mobil 1 0-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was cruising my walmart oil isle as I often do. I checked the back of the Mobil 0-40 and noticed this batch was SN rated. I was under the impression this wouldn't happen to this oil and am concerned that it's now thinner and has a lessor additive package?

Has the 0-40 recently changed? If so is their any VOA around

Thanks Guys

Thank you bob!!

I was under the impression ZDP levels would have to come down to meet GF5-SN?

If not all the better but this was my understanding

Why would SN mean lower viscosity and a "lesser" additive package?

If you're talking about zinc and phosphorus levels, most people forget (or simply never heard) that SM and SN allow more of those for xw-40s than they do for xw-30s. The previous formulations of Mobil 1 0w-40 carried SM, and SN has the same zinc and phosphorus limits as SM, so I wouldn't worry.

Besides, Mobil 1 0w-40 is one of Mobil's flagship lubes. It carries a lot of high-performance OEM and third-party approvals, and is factory and service fill for some of the most powerful cars you can buy. They will NOT screw it up.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch!

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Thank you bob!!

I was under the impression ZDP levels would have to come down to meet GF5-SN?

If not all the better but this was my understanding

Is this oil GF-5?
smile.gif

/EDIT: D00d beat me to it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Okay I see it's not Gf-5. I was thinking that GF5 and SN went hand in hand. The light has come on

Yup! ILSAC and API are not always together.

40-weight oils are not subject to the same ZN/P limits as other weights, IIRC.

Whatever the reason, SN M1 0w40 is probably one of the best off-the-counter oils ever sold.

it's good oil it used to be the factory fill for all of Chrysler/Doges SRT's even the Viper ACR, they only resion they stop using it as a factory fill was due to contracts when dodge almost went under.

Montrose

Hi,
d00df00d - This recent announcement is self explanatory:

STARTS
Chrysler's Mopar parts and service division has signed a deal to offer one-stop service shops even for competitor's vehicles.
The deal is between the Chrysler subisidiary, Shell for lubes and Fiat's aftermarket parts division Magneti Marelli. Shell will provide premium Mopar branded engine oils as well as its Pennzoil and Rotella heavy-duty engine oil brands.

The agreement will extend across the whole of the Chrysler dealership network in the US, but perhaps most suprisingly, will not just incorporate Chrysler's own vehicles, but any competitor makes that arrive at its Express Lane or other Mopar dealerships for service. In 2010, more than 2.6 non-Chrysler vehicles visited its dealerships for light services, now the arrangement will allow full service for any vehicles.

Magneti Marelli will supply a range of parts including brakes, shock absorbers, struts and filters for Chrysler and competitor models across the Chrysler network.
ENDS

I expect that Shell is or will be the FF suppliers

These moves are all part of International positioning within the Oil Industry. Shell of course is a joint venturer with EM in Infineum. Repsol. Motul and the gigantic Chinese Oil Organisations (Sinopec via Great Wall and etc) are also in the positioning mix. Russian organisations are also positioning themselves with the Majors, Shell, EM and the Caltex-Chevron organisations are big movers

Interesting. Thanks, Doug! Looks like the Fiat connection brought quite a bit to the table, for better or for worse...

I suspected as much.

I would love to hear from some Chrysler engineers about that transition.

Originally Posted By: MJB09SRT8
They are now putting Pennzoil 5W-40 in as a factory fill in all Chrysler/Dodge SRT's.

Montrose

Too bad you can't find it anywhere at retail level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back