Honda GN-4 for '11 Ruckus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 2011 Ruckus 49cc liquid cooled scooter to use around town for errands (but mostly just for fun)
grin.gif

It calls for 0.6q of 10w-30 SG or higher JASO T 903 Standard: MA.

I was planning on using the recommended Honda GN-4. Does anyone have this model and what are you running? My temps are in the mid 80's maybe a little higher and I plan on running it right till around Halloween then storing it in the garage.

Honda GN4 isnt that great... a quart of Rotella 5w-40 is probably cheaper and a better oil.

Those engines last forever no matter what you use, so I wouldnt lose too much sleep over deciding.

A friend of mine has a metropolitan (identical engines, just different carb jetting) and we've been using The Honda 10w-40 motorcycle oil in it. It's got 1700 miles on it right now.

Rotella 5w-40 certain isn't going to hurt it (and it's what I plan to put in it) plus for $20+tax you've got enough oil for six oil changes.

Doesn't it matter much if the 5w-40 isn't the specified weight? Wouldn't the thicker oil when hot rob power?

"Wouldn't the thicker oil when hot rob power?"

Rob power? Really?????? Surely you jest!

We're not talking 15000 rpm race engines here. It's a work horse utility engine that's been around for decades. Stone axe reliable and long lived even if run with poor quality oil and/or severely mistreated.

Any decent off the shelf oil of close to recommended viscosity will be more than sufficient. Despite the miniscule amount of oil used, I would not be paying the premium for Honda branded oil. I'd go with the best oil for the least price. Rotella is a good choice.

It does turn at 9000 rpms so that is high enough to warrant concern. I have read on other forums that thicker oil robs some rpms from these engines. I had to double check on here too though.

I have a 2007 ruckus. I have run both mobil 1 10w-30 and 5w-40 Rotella t-6. I am closing in on 6000 miles on this scoot. I noticed no reduction in performance when i switched to t6 after the first couple oil changes which were the mobil 1. I have run rotella exclusively for the last 5000 miles. It seems like a good oil and gives me the protection needed in a wide range of temperatures from the heat in the summer to the cold of iowa. Use it , you wont regret it.

"It does turn at 9000 rpms so that is high enough to warrant concern"

You don't operate the machine at 9000 rpm for hours on end do you?

There's no need for concern if the machine is being operated normally.

As previously mentioned, these engines have been around for decades virtually unchanged. They are not super sophisticated race engines requiring endless maintenance and specially formulated oil. Buy a gallon of Rotella (flavour of your choice) and you'll have a five year or more supply of more than suitable oil.

5w-40 or 20w-50 oils produce the same results in my scooter. After extended long distance riding, the 20W-50 keeps the valves noticeably quieter, so that's what I run.

Mine is an aircooled vino 125, so not apples to apples, but I have seen ruckii with over 20,000 miles run on whatever oil was cheapest at the time. It sounds like yours will see very little use, but you are concerned with a top notch oil.. maybe look into valvoline VR1 synthetic 10w-30? Probably 10x the oil quality at a similar price to GN4, and the same viscosity should allow you to enjoy all 3.5 horsepower to the fullest.

Last edited:
It will be run at WOT most of the time (it only goes about 40mph or so) so the 9000 rpms will be used more often than not.

Do these scooters come with Hondas "magic" break in oil (lol) like their cars claim to come with? What did you guys change the factory fill at? I believe it is 600 miles recommended.

"It will be run at WOT most of the time (it only goes about 40mph or so) so the 9000 rpms will be used more often than not."

If that's the case, you possibly may have made the wrong choice for a scooter. Something a little bigger may have been better if you need to be running WOT on the Ruckus all the time.

But, then, as in situations below, WOT may not be avoidable on any sub 500cc scooter..........

motorcycle_heavy_man.jpg

Put a bigger rear wheel on the Ruckus. That will help reduce engine speed.

You may have to do a running bicycle start to get it rolling but once under way, you'll be OK unless, you've got some serious hills to contend with.
grin.gif

I actually saw a ruckus with the bigger and wider rear wheel. I guess there is a kit for them. It seems to be a popular scooter for modifying. I tend to leave things stock though. I don't like to mess with factory.

most scooters spend 99% of time at redline, it's how the CVT transmission works. Even at less than WOT, the rpms barely drop off.

nothing is wrong with running them at WOT for hours on end. They are designed for this.

Did the older ruckus models call for 10w-40? Is there a reason why the 2011 calls for 10w-30? Is it EPA related? TIA

Dont know about the older ones but my 2007 is 10w-30.I like the 5w-40 t-6 in mine. The engine works hard. it is liquid cooled but runs high rpm most of the time and still runs warm in the summer. great little scoot.

I agree, it is a great scooter. I have been riding by the beach alot, much more fun than the CR-V lol.

I had to drain some of the factory fill because the dealer overfilled it a tad when I checked it. I also had to adjust the air pressure... they had the tires set at 37 psi (cold). Other than their lackluster PDI, I am happy with it. As with all Honda engines it likes to rev and purrs at full throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back