813 hour, New Holland tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the current UOA on the TS135A New Holland tractor we use to feed cattle on our farm. Current change interval is 813 hours. I'm posting the last two UOA results as well. Using Service Pro 15w-40.

Hours 6003, 7372, 8185
OCI 595, 759, 813

Iron 37, 54, 49
Chro 1, 1, 1
Alum 2, 2, 1
Copp 2, 4, 5
Lead 5, 13, 22
Sili 4, 5, 6
Sod 3, 3, 3
Moly 2, 141, 133
Anti 0, 0, 1
Bor 3, 22, 9
Mag 184, 935, 982
Cal 2658, 1541, 1245
Phos 1026, 961, 1038
Zinc 1291, 1246, 1270

Soot .6%, .4%, .5%
Vis 15, 14.2, 15.4
TBN 5.76, 6.4, 4.73
Oxid 9, 14, 14
Nit 12, 18, 22

Do you think the lead is getting a little high? Given the higher hours on the OCI, do you think I should be concerned with it and do fewer hours for the next OC?

An 800 hour oil change interval?? !!! There is an oil jobber that sells Service Pro oil out here. If all service pro oil is as good I will use it !! What is the mfg recommended interval. Again you must have a big operation.

At first I thought it was 800 hrs total on the machine! It looks good. I suppose you could scale it back to 600 hours and see if the lead goes down. I don't think service pro is an expensive oil so its not like it would be wasting that much money. Maybe I should get my hands on this oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mfg. recommended OCI is 600 hours. I was always sticking to that put all the UOAs were coming back real good so I began increasing the OCI to where I am now. We buy it in bulk so we pay $7.xx a gallon.

Well, as we all know the Fe is a cummulative effect. However, I have to wonder if it's having a secondary effect, in the Pb? One way to know is to back off your OCI and see what happens to the Pb. There may be some point (35ppm, 40ppm, 45ppm ... ?????) where the Fe begins to effect other things. The only way to know for sure is to experiment over several OCIs and see if you can find a correlation that least to a conclusion of causation. I'm not saying that's fact; I'm making a supposition. There is no way to know until you do some experimentation. A few data points isn't enough to make any solid conclusion; it takes a lot of data to establish ranges and trends.

Not that this is a bad report at all; to the contrary, very impressive. I was just commenting on what you brought up. If you move your OCI up and down a few times, and then watch to see if the Pb is moving in concert, you'll have your answer. It's hard to look at just a few OCIs and know for sure. If you move the OCIs up and down, and there is no correlation with Pb, then you can rest easy. If there is sympathetic response, I'd back off the OCI just a bit.

Overall, it seems your fluid choice for all your farm equipment does quite well for a VERY nice price point. Service Pro is to be commended on their products given the type of results you tend to post.

Last edited:
Nice report. I would try another OCI at 700-750 hrs and see what the Pb does. Nothing scary on this report, but it does seem that the Pb is headed uphill...who knows, another 800 OCI may not reveal the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
An 800 hour oil change interval?? !!! There is an oil jobber that sells Service Pro oil out here. If all service pro oil is as good I will use it !! What is the mfg recommended interval. Again you must have a big operation.

Before you order a drum of Service Pro and expect the same results, keep in mind that this report is a product of very specific operating conditions. On our farm the feed tractor gets run 4-5 hours per day, and at a nice steady RPM with a moderate load. I suspect the OP's tractor gets run under similar conditions. If you had the same tractor on a chopper or ag-bag machine wound right to the pin with the radiator half plugged...the UOA might look a little different.
wink.gif

One thing I didn't see listed on the report is fuel. Our feed tractor's OCI is limited by fuel dilution. It is a high-hour 4650 JD that loafs along and idles while the mixing wagon is being loaded.

That's a fantastic UOA for the OCI but Rob Roy summed it up admirably. It's application and situationally-specific. I don't doubt another good oil could do equally well in that situation (not taking anything away from Service Pro). I really like the idea of getting the mostest from the leastest and that Service Pro oil obviously does that admirably. This is an excellent lesson!

sdan: I assume that tractor has bypass filtration?

I agree as well.

Sdan27's UOAs typically look really good.

Part of that is likely due to the good quality oil; Service Pro is a well respected brand, after all, for good reason.

But the other half of the equation is the long, steady operation in his equipment. Full day (or near full day) running at moderate RPM is going to give the best possible wear, especially when diesel ag equipment is designed with that very use in mind. The engineering and maintenance intervals are optimized for that type of use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Nice report. I would try another OCI at 700-750 hrs and see what the Pb does. Nothing scary on this report, but it does seem that the Pb is headed uphill...who knows, another 800 OCI may not reveal the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

Before you order a drum of Service Pro and expect the same results, keep in mind that this report is a product of very specific operating conditions. On our farm the feed tractor gets run 4-5 hours per day, and at a nice steady RPM with a moderate load. I suspect the OP's tractor gets run under similar conditions. If you had the same tractor on a chopper or ag-bag machine wound right to the pin with the radiator half plugged...the UOA might look a little different.
wink.gif

One thing I didn't see listed on the report is fuel. Our feed tractor's OCI is limited by fuel dilution. It is a high-hour 4650 JD that loafs along and idles while the mixing wagon is being loaded.
Great post!!

There was little to no fuel dilution so I did not add on the UOA. Like I stated we do not use a bypass filter on this application but we do use a Fleetguard Stratapore filter. The tractor is run at full bore when mixing the feed but then is not run nearly as hard when distributing it or driving around. Rarely ever even leaves the cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back