Butterfly won't open in throttle body

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '01 IS300 sucks under acceleration. Cleaned MAP, Throttle body, changed plugs. Took my finger and twisted the accelerator cable to simulate a wipe open throttle. The butterfly valve only went about half way. This would explain the poor acceleration under full throttle. Now, how do I fix this?

Gary,
If there is no adjustment to take up the slack then you may have to replace the cable. Good fortune.

The cable is not the problem. If I turn the the "wheel" by hand the butterfly doesn't move until I turn the "wheel" quite a ways. I'm not touching the throttle cable. It needs no adjustment.

I'm glad you found the problem. What failed, or what wore out within the throttle body?

Unless you can tighten what is loose, I think the fix is obvious - replace the throttle body.

you're gonna have to take the nut off and see where the play comes from. It may very well be the cable. if the wheel itself is loose, "overturning" it should still open the valve, unless it is jammed. if it is jammed, then the wheel will have distorted, as it may have, on its axle from force of pressure from the cable/foot. If you take some apart enuf with a mechanical problem, you will find it.

Could be trash, debris, stuck mechanism, angry TPS bound up... Regardless, you're going to have to replace either the whole thing or some component...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back