2005 Honda 2.4L (CR-V) valve adjustment...yes/no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subject says it all. Coming up on 110k where the manual says to inspect valve adjustments and adjust only if needed.
Indy mechanic is doubtful this is needed. I drive 90% highway.

Your opinions?

The first thing I would do is with a fully warm engine listen to the engine. I would use a Lent of dowel rod and use it as a stethoscope. Theo hear the tapping from each set of valves. If any sound much different then a readjustment is in order. You should hear a tapping from each valve, which shows there is some Clarence as no tapping can lead to exhaust valve burning. How much does it cost to follow the factory recommendation to do it?

I have a 94 Accord 2.2L. It also hase manually adjustable valves as well.

I'd be interested to hear from a Honda tech about this. I don't know if the valves have ever been adjusted in this car.

127k mi now. No problem except a bit of oil weep from the valve cover gasket.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Viggen
I have a 94 Accord 2.2L. It also hase manually adjustable valves as well.

I'd be interested to hear from a Honda tech about this. I don't know if the valves have ever been adjusted in this car.

127k mi now. No problem except a bit of oil weep from the valve cover gasket.

You did.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Do the latest Honda engines have hydraulic valve lifters?

No idea on the very latest but my generation certainly doesn't. I would like to hear why they don't, yet my 1989 Mazda did. What is the advantage of non-hydraulic lifters?

Originally Posted By: 229
The valves have been tight on every one I have checked even at half your mileage.

Did you mean to say "Twice your mileage"? Because not needing adjustment at 55k isn't too terribly impressive and really doesn't speak to the o/p's valve clearance condition.

Now if you'd have said "most of them, even at 220k don't need adjustment", that would definitely inspire confidence.

You absolutely at a minimum should pull the valve cover to inspect them. You can only hear them if they're loose; a tight one is just going to burn out.

On a friend's CRV 2003 @ 60K, all of the rears were too tight (though they did all have some clearance) and one or two intake valves were slightly loose. This is too easy/cheap of a job not to do it.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: 229
The valves have been tight on every one I have checked even at half your mileage.

Did you mean to say "Twice your mileage"? Because not needing adjustment at 55k isn't too terribly impressive and really doesn't speak to the o/p's valve clearance condition.

Now if you'd have said "most of them, even at 220k don't need adjustment", that would definitely inspire confidence.

I have seen them tight at 55K miles. By tight I do not mean in spec. I consider tight to be worse than loose because it will burn the valves. You will not hear valvetrain noise with tight clearances, at least until the seats recede or the valvestems break and drop a valve.

My 07 Si with the K20 engine (smaller brother of the K24 the OP has in his CR-V) has 100k on it and i'm also about to pull the valve cover to inspect the valve clearance. I doubt anything is off by much since the engine runs smooth as can be.

What 229 was saying, I think, is that he found the valve adjustment too tight at half the OP's mileage.
Too tight is not good for the exhaust valves, since if they are too tight they may not seat fully, and may not be able to transfer heat to their seats and may burn.
The valve clearances on a Honda are not difficult to check or to adjust.
You will have to turn the engine over with a wrench a few times, but it is an entertaining Saturday afternoon project.
If I were the OP, I'd check mine, or have it done.

@229....

As the cars age (Honda specifically the 2.2L I have )is it more imporant or less important to check the valves at a certain mileage? I do OC every 5k miles. Car is generally gently driven (engine not revved a lot. )

I assume you work or worked for a Honda dealer how much is reasonable for a valve adjustment job on my 2.2L 4?

Last edited:
The valves have been tight on every one I have checked.

I am seriously thinking about checking it on mine even though it only has 11,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Viggen
@229....

As the cars age (Honda specifically the 2.2L I have )is it more imporant or less important to check the valves at a certain mileage? I do OC every 5k miles. Car is generally gently driven (engine not revved a lot. )

I assume you work or worked for a Honda dealer how much is reasonable for a valve adjustment job on my 2.2L 4?

Yes, worked. Now I have a tougher boss. @$75

I've got an Element with the same engine. Had one side all loose, other side all tight at only 65-67k. Get them checked and adjusted as needed. Your engine will run smoother and last longer.

FWIW, I adjusted the valves on my 2004 Accord with the 2.4 engine a couple months ago. The car had around 95,000 miles on it. About half of the valves were out of adjustment- mostly tight. None were bad enough that I think they would have caused a problem, but they were out of spec by a thousandth or three.

Is this a simple rocker adjustment with a locknut and screw?
By all means, do it.
Normally this is within the realm of shade tree mechanics.

I like to have the engine dead cold -overnight rest. For consistency.
When it is hot, it cools too much by the time you get to the last one. And what is warm?

If you have it done, get before and after readings written out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back