Royal Purple HPS street oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running it yet? Been thinking about tryin it out.
smile.gif

Yeah, I kinda expected that as well,but gave it a shot anyways. Anymore,I get more input from other forums,plus the race track,without all the negativity.

I really can't say it's a bad oil. Other than the shearing we used to see, it has very good tbn retention and is a pretty good extended drain oil. For engines that need higher zdp levels it's a good choice.

I ahve used RP in 20W-50 in Offshore Marine engines. 10W-30 in OPE and 5W-20 in a Honda and I have used other synthetic oils like Amsoil and Penzoil Platinum and Redline.

My take on RP is that it is a really good PAO Grp IV oil.

I am amazed it does not have more followers.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
I ahve used RP in 20W-50 in Offshore Marine engines. 10W-30 in OPE and 5W-20 in a Honda and I have used other synthetic oils like Amsoil and Penzoil Platinum and Redline.

My take on RP is that it is a really good PAO Grp IV oil.

I am amazed it does not have more followers.

It doesn't have many followers because it was rated API SL for so long. I have an email from them and will post it.

Last edited:
ME:

Hello,

Quick question on your motor oil. Why are your motor oils still only API SL certified and not the current SN?

Thank you

RP REP"

Good Afternoon,

We retained the SL license on our street oils because the API SM required a reduction in anti-wear additive. We are a performance oil company and did not agree with the ham-fisted way in which emissions equipment protection was handled. However, because of market demand, we will be releasing API SN oils this summer that will be a warranty compliant product line of engine oils.

Thanks for inquiring about Royal Purple and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Christopher Barker
Technical Services
Royal Purple, Inc.

Im a fan of Royal Purple. People always try to sway me, but the fact of the matter is....it's a great oil. My vehicles call for SL oil or previous specs.... so I guess I'm in the clear....

Chris is a great guy. I have talked to him many times. RP is a great oil SL or otherwise. I have used it in my car for the last 160k or so of the 200k on the car. I tried SM mobil 1 before the RP, my uoa, my iron when from 27 PP with M1, 8 PPM with RP. Copper RP= 0 ppm, M1= 2ppm... RP is WAY WAY better in terms of UOA quality for MY car. Although, I would give Amsoil or Redline a try just to see.
Dusty

I may give RP a try some time. But as price goes Amsoil is cheaper for me since I am a preferred customer. Amsoil prices have been rising the past 3 months. I buy the Amsoil XL series for 10K OCI. They went from $5.45 to $5.80 a quart in the past 3 months. Here I can get a quart of RP for $8.45.

RP has offered a few SM oils since that service level came into effect but most were SL or even SJ as we all know. They are now offering 4 popular weights( one of them a new weight offered by RP )certified to API SN with the Starburst. The API site also lists 2 other weights in SN. The HPS oils the OP asked about are new as well but are not carrying any API certifications. The HPS line has more ZDDP and is for older vehicles where a racing oil like their XPR line is not needed.

Here are RP's current API certified oils according to the API site...

SN:
0W-20 w/ Starburst NEW
5W-20 w/ Starburst
5W-30 w/ Starburst
10W-30 w/ Starburst
10W-40
20W-50

SM:
0W-40
5W-40
15W-40

SL:
5W-20 Energy Conserving
5W-30 Energy Conserving
10W-30 Energy Conserving
10W-40
15W-40

SJ:
SAE 30
SAE 40
SAE 50
20W-50

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Good info but I have to see it in stores to believe it. So far every store I have gone to has only RP SL oil.

Believe what? The info I list is from the API licensing site. Do you think RP paid to certify oils it won't sell? You have to remember the SN oils are brand new formulas that may not even be out yet. They were not due for release until approx right now. They have to be developed and then tested and certified before they can be released. There is going to be a lot of the SL stuff floating around for a while until it is sold off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back