Shimano WH-R500 rim trueing nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
I trued the front wheel with no problem. Tried the rear one and the second spoke the spoke wrench stripped the nipple. I find they are an allow. I lubed the nipple at the threads and the nipple to rim.

The rear rim is actually straighter than the front was. So I will just leave it and ride the bike. Seems from reading that they are entry level rims. I thought about ordering new spokes and nipples. But I can see that turning into a pain with ordering spokes and nipples etc.

I guess I will ride the rims till I have real problems. Then maybe upgrade.

Take off the tire & rim tape, then remove the nipple with a screwdriver from the back side & replace. I make a point of giving the spoke/nipple interface a drop of 3-in-1 or MMO before truing and I've never stripped one after doing so unless I was using the wrong size wrench.

Then again, I only ever true wheels on the bike and only get it good enough. If it's straight-ish, ride it until your brakes pulsate!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
wont an oil like that screw up the rim tape? I thought they were rubber.

They should be fine.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
wont an oil like that screw up the rim tape? I thought they were rubber.

Two drops at most (one at spoke/nipple, the other at nipple flange/rim) won't get much, if any, on the rim tape. Most of mine are adhesive-backed cloth and some are rubber, but I've used electrical tape before in a pinch.

Yes I was using the right size wrench and lubed them at both points. I think the nipple was damaged at the factory. It looked a little rounded before I even put the wrench on it. But I was still not surprised when it rounded.

Since the rim is fairly straight I think I'll just leave everything. After I rounded the nipple I thought I would take a vice grip I had with smooth flats near the front to see if I could get the nipple to grip. That's when I realized the nipple was not brass.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Yes I was using the right size wrench and lubed them at both points. I think the nipple was damaged at the factory. It looked a little rounded before I even put the wrench on it. But I was still not surprised when it rounded.

I think they're all trued at the factory from the 'back' side of the nipple, the side with the Phillips head. Probably could have been a barely in-spec nipple which caused it to strip. Pretty sure all mine have had aluminum ones as well, can't recall ever getting a brass one.

In any case if the wheel's straight, round & dished correctly, no reason to touch it!

It's pretty straight, but I was trying to get it perfect. I'm old school my last bike had brass nipples. I think your right that it was out or barely in spec.

Yes I'm going to just ride it I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back