Lower octane in turbo engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally emptied my tank of 91.

Previous fill of 87 -- 429mi, 16.6gal (purchased at $3.87/gal, 91 at this time was $4.09/gal)
Emptied fill of 91 -- 452mi, 16.5gal (purchased at $3.97/gal, 87 at this time was $3.87/gal)

The 87 fill was emptied over a weekend -- plenty of highway runs and a few short local trips
The 91 fill ran about the same highway, but because of the higher MPG and the gas saved, it allowed me to go through 2 extra days of local work commute of about ~50mi.

Your manual likely states that minimum recommended is 87, which is by recent govt reg iirc...

You'll knock a couple of times under load (you won't notice) and the ecu will pull timing. You'll likely lose somewhere around 20-30hp off peak.

Don't cheap out and listen to the guys who beat the manual to death, turbocharged engines require a higher octane to run at their max rated power level.

I'm proud to say in the 50k I've owned my boosted four it has never seen lower than 91.

Last edited:
In a convensional indirect injected engine with a tubocharger. then higher octane would be required. New direct injected engines which have been engineered for 87 octane would require just that. Does your fuel door state 87 as a minimum?If so then you should run a higher octane fuel unless you REALLY baby your car, with mostly easy highway cruisng to ensure long engine life. Look at the chevrolet cruze- 1.4L turbocharged, direct injection. 87 octane is SPECIFIED for this car. Is you car direct injection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back