Forum vote for the best fully synthetic motor oil on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Uh Huh! Deny the original premise or the implied basis and answer with another premise.

Spoken like a true philosopher!

I submit: spoken like a true dissembler.

Hi,

I submit: A philosopher is a
dissembler.

How many other South Pole residents post on
this forum? I strongly recommend a
0W oil in your snow mobiles.

tongue.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

Disregarding price, Redline gets my vote, with Amsoil a close second.

But if you take price and convenience into consideration then yes, Mobil 1 does come out ahead.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
I have seen it on here several times about the German Castrol not being sold in the United States. This is incorrect. The German made Castrol 0W-30 IS sold in the U.S. I bought 12 quarts of it from Autozone two weeks ago ($4.99/qt). I am in Georgia so it has made it this far south.

That's excellent news! Although now you guys don't have an excuse to come up here and visit me anymore.
frown.gif
smile.gif

Indeed this is excellent news! If I can find it at my Autozones here in SC, it will be going in my 300 when I change the oil next time.

Alex,

If you have a particular application and type of engine (gas/diesel) in mind, I can tell you the best product from each of these manufacturers for that specific application. But to talk about a best oil without getting into more specifics makes no sense. My recommendation would depend on how much oil you are burning, the number of miles on the engine, and the length of the change intervals you plan to run.

For example, if you plan on changing oil every 3000-5000 miles, I'd generally recommend Mobil 1, 5w-30 or 10w-30, unless you were seeing significant oil consumption. If you want to run 12,000-15,000 mile change intervals, then something like the Amsoil Series 2000, 0w-30 would work better. If you were looking for a 40wt oil, this new Redline 5w-40 has been putting up some very good numbers.

The question is too general to give a good answer ....

TooSlick
Dixie Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
I have seen it on here several times about the German Castrol not being sold in the United States. This is incorrect. The German made Castrol 0W-30 IS sold in the U.S. I bought 12 quarts of it from Autozone two weeks ago ($4.99/qt). I am in Georgia so it has made it this far south.

That's excellent news! Although now you guys don't have an excuse to come up here and visit me anymore.
frown.gif
smile.gif

Indeed this is excellent news! If I can find it at my Autozones here in SC, it will be going in my 300 when I change the oil next time.

Hi,

I understand the excitement about the first
PAO Castrol Syntec sold in the U.S. in a decade.
However, there has not been a single
oil analysis (used or virgin) of this oil.

So, how do we know Castrol 0W-30 will not
be a big disappointment just like Royal Purple?

crushedcar.gif

tongue.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

All I have tried so far is 15w40 Royal Purple. So I can't say it's the best synthetic, but miles ahead of the dino Delo 15w40 I was using previously for break in. I have ran a NASA track weekend with it to 6800 rpms with no problems. And I have 450rwhp/480rwt 427ci C5R blocked Ls1 motor. Can't wait to try 15w50 mobile 1 in the future after my Royal Purple stock runs out.

Leo

quote:

Originally posted by Rebel Rouser:
I'snt the true, proven, absolute quality of a synthetic motor oil derived from the four ball wear scar test?

lol.gif
That's a good one!

I just put 10w 30 Mobile 1 SS into a PT Cruiser 2.4 liter turbo and the engine seemed to have smoothed out immediately. I'll be putting that into my Dodge Stealth Base after my run of Auto RX is done and I'll see if it gives that engine a nice kick in the *** .

So far I can only comment on Mobile 1 and so far I like it. Easy to get, and when bought by the case, it's not too much. Pep Boys charges 8.99 to put in the oil if you have all the stuff.

Although I'd prefer a K and N or Amsoil Filter, I stuck in a Fram for now. Anyone know what's the best oil filter by any chance?

I feel that's just as important, if not more so. FRAM is obviously everywhere.....but if I have to order a K/N or Mobile 1, or Amsoil filter, I will.

quote:

Originally posted by J:

I understand the excitement about the first
PAO Castrol Syntec sold in the U.S. in a decade.
However, there has not been a single
oil analysis (used or virgin) of this oil.

So, how do we know Castrol 0W-30 will not
be a big disappointment just like Royal Purple?

It's true, we don't know 100% for sure, but when you look at the tests it passes, we know it has to be pretty good. Europeans don't want an oil that thins out by 2.6 cst in 2600 miles, so this oil theoretically should be shear stable. Don't forget, they use very long drain intervals there. One of the tests this oil passes is the BMW Longlife, and while I don't know for sure, I'm assuming that test means the oil will remain in grade for whatever BMWs drain interval is (15k perhaps?) And the two MB tests it passes have to count for something too. You don't see these credentials on a bottle of Royal Purple, you just see a bunch of hype (unfounded hype IMO)

Even though it's not fully synthetic, we also have to mention Schaeffer Supreme in this thread. It has proven itself to perform like a full synthetic. I'd even say that it shows better wear numbers than Mobil 1, and can handle pretty much the same length of drain interval too. And look at it's HTHS numbers, they are incredible for a blend! (better than Mobil 1s HTHS numbers)

quote:

Mobil 1, and can handle pretty much the same length of drain interval too. And look at it's HTHS numbers, they are incredible for a blend! (better than Mobil 1s HTHS numbers)

Specs., there is more to an oil then specs. If we based an oils ability on specs alone, Amsoil would be king. Unfortunately, it's not.
wink.gif

It's good that we can all state our opinions on here without fighting like other forums.

While it's simply an opinion, I will say this, no one can really prove what oils are best. It would be nice to take the UOA section and summarize the results somehow. Obviously there would be many variables to standardize numbers, but we could compare the oils with similar xmiles with xengines etc.
grin.gif
That would be a project and a 1/2...ummmm nevermind.
grin.gif

[ April 11, 2003, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Oils are like socks or gloves it has got to be fitted to the engine.

Was that an independent , unbiased dodge ?

For instance VWs 1.8l T like Redline 10w-30 or 5w-40.

Honda 4 cylinders like Schaeffers 5w-30 for street, Redline 5w-30 for Racing.

Amsoil 10w-30 and Redline 10w-30 in a non turbo Volvo 2.9 inline 6 cylinder.

Molekules M1 10w-30 Brew runs well in anything !!!!!!

Schaeffers 5w-30 in a Honda 6 works great for a daily driver changed at 6000 mile intervals.

Gloves and socks don't make you quit but they can make you alot more comfortable.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back