Converting Honda self propelled to push model

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried (unsuccessfully) to sell my 6 year old HRR216SDA self propelled mower on CL. Any mention of transmission issues brings out the low ballers it would seem.
It has something amiss with the self propel feature. I haven't the time nor desire to dig in and trouble shoot or throw money at it to resolve the issue...

I have noticed that Honda sells the same model (rear discharge, bagger, mulch capable with the quadra cut blades) as a push only model. I am guessing that Honda just omits the rear axle/transmission, cable and engagement lever assembly.

In theory can't I simply remove these items from my model? The rear wheels don't bolt to the axle so they can function without it. The height adjustment won't be affected either. I would shed probably 5-7 lbs by doing so. What do you guys think?

Should I advertise it as "used to be self propelled but converted to push" or simply sell it as a push mower without mention of having been previously self propelled?

I'd have to pull a wheel off of mine to take a peek, but I believe all you'd have to do is remove the drive axle, or the small drive gears on the ends of the drive axle.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I'd have to pull a wheel off of mine to take a peek, but I believe all you'd have to do is remove the drive axle, or the small drive gears on the ends of the drive axle.

I'm pretty sure that JTK is right. Removing the wheel gears will disable the transmission and allow the wheels to move freely. Removing the transmission and other self-propel pieces will reduce weight a little. Take off any "Variable Speed" or other stickers, and most won't be able to tell. There will be a couple holes in the handle and deck and ring gears on the insides of the rear wheels, but no other visible differences. The wheel adjusters are the same part number for both models of mower.

I wouldn't disclose the removal of the transmission unless asked. It's probably not worth the hassle of trying to explain it to most people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back