Forum vote for the best fully synthetic motor oil on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of you have given me great information in regards to the best dino oil on the market and based on your comments I did many searches and erad up on the issue.

NOW - Please post your opinions for the best fully synthetic motor oil on the market,disregarding price:
Redline?
Amsoil?
Mobil 1?
Royal Purple?

(MolaKule) Price is not the issue. My question is in regards to overall performance, keeping wear down and resisting heat oxidation, while providing good cold start properties.

Thank you all for your help !!

[ April 10, 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

By what criteria. Price, anecdotal or actual performance, additive package?

I would have to choose Redline for first place at this point in Oil History. Pricy, yes, but it has the criteria I look for in a full synth; excellent additive package, and a high ratio of multi polyol esters to PAO's.

Amsoil would be second place. Priced below Mobil 1 as of now, so it has a good price/performance ratio.

Mobil 1 would be third. Good for an OTC (and only synthetic) oil, but could be better.

I like to use Mobil 1 in the winter time and Amsoil 10W30 ATM in the summertime. Here in Doo-Dah Land, we have basically four seasons; Early Summer, Late Summer, Early Winter, and Late Winter.

I think the UOAs of Mobil 1 SuperSyn show that it can hold its own with any synthetic oil on the market. And since it is an otc oil with a definite price advantage, it gets my vote as the best fully synthetic oil you can buy.

I'll also vote for Redline. Ester base oil is the main reason. They also seem real good at formulating additive packages for specific applications.

I would say Amsoil the cost is between mobil1 and Redline and Neo.Amsoil 10w40 full syn., I don't know the oil number has killer specs and cost less than the 3,000 and 2,000 series.

YES SIR !! There are three applications in my house that I am especially interested in:

1. GM LT1/LT4 engines - my 1996 Corvette
2. GM LS engines - My wifes 2001 LS1 Trans Am and my 2002 L59 Suburban 5.3
3. Ford modular SOHC engines - My 1994 4.6 SOHC T-Bird winter beater

I appreciate your feed back on these TooSlick !!!

Cheerio !!!
quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Alex,

If you have a particular application and type of engine (gas/diesel) in mind, I can tell you the best product from each of these manufacturers for that specific application. But to talk about a best oil without getting into more specifics makes no sense. My recommendation would depend on how much oil you are burning, the number of miles on the engine, and the length of the change intervals you plan to run.

For example, if you plan on changing oil every 3000-5000 miles, I'd generally recommend Mobil 1, 5w-30 or 10w-30, unless you were seeing significant oil consumption. If you want to run 12,000-15,000 mile change intervals, then something like the Amsoil Series 2000, 0w-30 would work better. If you were looking for a 40wt oil, this new Redline 5w-40 has been putting up some very good numbers.

The question is too general to give a good answer ....

TooSlick
Dixie Synthetics

[ April 10, 2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:

Redline?
Amsoil?
Mobil 1?
Royal Purple?

The best synthetic oil is Mobil 1.

Best grades of Mobil 1 are 0W-40 and 10W-30.

itschy.gif

By the way, why did Royal Purple make your list?

crushedcar.gif

tongue.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

I would agree along the thinking of Too Slick. This is too broad a question for a one-size-fits all answer.
It is obvious when reviewing all of the different UOA's and inputs from the many wonderful individuals who contribute here, that one oil does great for some and in some applications and lengths of use, whereas another is better for other uses.
In the short haul, 3,000 mile changes, it looks like any OTC oil (dino & synthetic) will perform just fine. For going longer then synthetics are better, as Schaeffer's has also proven in the longer haul also.
With all this said if I were just going for 7,000 mile changes then Mobil 1 would be the winner: price and convenience and quality.
If I were looking to go longer then some personal invesitgation for my particular application would have to be used (UOA and research and more research and then experiencing).

Good Day,
Stevev
patriot.gif

quote:

NOW - Please post your opinions for the best fully synthetic motor oil on the market,disregarding price:

Why is it just oil, what about filteration, availablity, customer service?

Jeesch.....did I open a whole box of worm cans or what....All I wanted are your opinions on the best synthetic. Price, service, local availability , etc. not being a factor. The brands I listed was just to get started. SO have at it if you want to add. Is that too difficult of a question. Fitration and the other stuff doesn't fit here. This is the oil segment of the forum.

When I read the forum all kinds of people have all kinds of input and answers, sometimes backed by facts, sometimes just SWAGs..and here I am asking a simple question ...
dunno.gif
....you don't have an opinion as to what synthetic you favor?? .....if you need to qualify your answer or limit your comment by conditions, just do so.......anyway, back to work.......

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

Why is it just oil, what about filteration, availablity, customer service?

[ April 10, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

quote:

Jeesch.....did I open a whole box of worm cans or what....All I wanted are your opinions on the best synthetic.

Hi,

If you wanted opinions, you should have used
the word "favorite" instead of "best". Best
implies logic, but favorite implies emotions,
which are illogical and opinionated.

Now, I suffer from a debilitating illness
called "Male Answer Syndrome". It has a lot
of negative side-effects, but one positive effect
is being able to answer a question regardless
of logic or expertise. So, since I did not care
to answer the question as stated, I automatically
answered a related question which was more
to my liking.

grin.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

Alex,

For #'s 1 and 2, I'd run the Amsoil or Redline 5w-30 synthetics (I note you live in a cold climate, so I'd go with 5w-30 over 10w-30 here). I'd run 7500 mile change intervals in both of these engines with a premium oil filter. Based on the oil analysis testing that 3MP has been doing in the LS-1 engine, that should be very conservative.

The Amsoil/Redline 5w-30's are a bit thicker than the Mobil 1, 5w-30 and should reduce both the piston slap and oil consumption. Noack volatility on the Amsoil/Redline 5w-30's is in the 5%-7% range, which is extremely low for any oil.

For the 4.6L/5.4L Ford engines, most of my customers have been running the Amsoil 0w-30 year round, which "brackets" the 5w-20 grade recommended by Ford. You could also use a 5w-30 synthetic in this motor. I think a somewhat less expensive oil like Mobil 1, 0w-30 (changed every 6 months) would be fine for the 4.6L engine.

TooSlick

Thank you TooSlick ....good info...one point the 4.6 SOHC in my T-bird is an earlier version (1994)of the SOHC and not yet a "5W-20" version of the 4.6/5.4. The manual recommends 5W-30 for this car, or 10W-30 above 0 degrees F.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Alex,

For #'s 1 and 2, I'd run the Amsoil or Redline 5w-30 synthetics (I note you live in a cold climate, so I'd go with 5w-30 over 10w-30 here). I'd run 7500 mile change intervals in both of these engines with a premium oil filter. Based on the oil analysis testing that 3MP has been doing in the LS-1 engine, that should be very conservative.

The Amsoil/Redline 5w-30's are a bit thicker than the Mobil 1, 5w-30 and should reduce both the piston slap and oil consumption. Noack volatility on the Amsoil/Redline 5w-30's is in the 5%-7% range, which is extremely low for any oil.

For the 4.6L/5.4L Ford engines, most of my customers have been running the Amsoil 0w-30 year round, which "brackets" the 5w-20 grade recommended by Ford. You could also use a 5w-30 synthetic in this motor. I think a somewhat less expensive oil like Mobil 1, 0w-30 (changed every 6 months) would be fine for the 4.6L engine.

TooSlick

I`m really impressed with the German Castrol Syntec 0w-30..i`m currently using it in my 3 cars,a Ford Taurus 3.8 V6,a Taurus SHO 3.0 dohc v6,and a Cadillac Fleetwood 4.5 V8....i`m going to get UOA`s done on all 3 in the near future and will post....

quote:

Originally posted by Shoboost:
I`m really impressed with the German Castrol Syntec 0w-30..i`m currently using it in my 3 cars,a Ford Taurus 3.8 V6,a Taurus SHO 3.0 dohc v6,and a Cadillac Fleetwood 4.5 V8....i`m going to get UOA`s done on all 3 in the near future and will post....

I've talked a lot about the German 0w30 Castrol on here, and I really hope it's good stuff since I'm switching all my cars over to it, and my sister's car is already switched. But I didn't mention it in this thread since it's an unknown entity right now. It's specs look really good and the scuttlebutt on this oil is that it's one of Europe's best oils, but until I start seeing the UOAs, I can't really give an honest opinion on the stuff. I like the fact that it's a very thick 30wt oil, however I just hope it stays that way over the entire interval.

Where do you buy this Castrol 0W-30 stuff???
Where do you buy Mobil 1 0W-40???

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Shoboost:

I've talked a lot about the German 0w30 Castrol on here, and I really hope it's good stuff since I'm switching all my cars over to it, and my sister's car is already switched. But I didn't mention it in this thread since it's an unknown entity right now. It's specs look really good and the scuttlebutt on this oil is that it's one of Europe's best oils, but until I start seeing the UOAs, I can't really give an honest opinion on the stuff. I like the fact that it's a very thick 30wt oil, however I just hope it stays that way over the entire interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back