Checking B&S oil level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Snapper has a B&S engine, what is the proper technic for checking the oil level? Is it when the the dip stick stops after inserting into the engine or after the quarter turn to lock it in place?

Yep, that's how it is on my new Briggs 850 "Professional Series" (LOL). Oil level is checked with the stick twisted in.

On B&S engines, if the dipstick is a turn and lock style; check the oil level while locked in place. If you thread (multiple turns) the dipstick in; then you check the oil level while resting on top of the threads.

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
On B&S engines, if the dipstick is a turn and lock style; check the oil level while locked in place. If you thread (multiple turns) the dipstick in; then you check the oil level while resting on top of the threads.

Not what my manual for the '80s 3.5 & 4Hp engines says... States after wiping, to screw it in completely then remove to check level...

On the ones with the long dipstick tube that fits into the oil sump, I always added a couple extra ounces as oil becomes air locked in the tube when in operation...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: wolfc70

Not what my manual for the '80s 3.5 & 4Hp engines says... States after wiping, to screw it in completely then remove to check level...

On the ones with the long dipstick tube that fits into the oil sump, I always added a couple extra ounces as oil becomes air locked in the tube when in operation...

Yeah, I think on the screw in type sticks the B&S and Honda/Chondas differ. I think B&S wants you to screw in the dipstick while Honda and clones want you to wipe the stick and insert it till the threads touch then check.

I have always wondered about this. So on two of our old snapper riding lawnmowers don't twist in which I was pretty sure how to check the oil level. But I wasn't sure with the push mower and pressure washer both with B&S.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back