Disected a Polaris transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2005 Trailblazer for pretty much parts. The Transmission, would not shift into forward, only reverse, so I removed it and thought this would be a Great chance to see whats in there. Not much. Two big gears, a silent chain(heavy duty chain)two little gears, two simple ball bearings, two engagement dogs and one lever with a pin. This a high/reverse transmission, I imagine the ones with low, have one extra gear. I took it totally apart and put it back together. Not much in there, like I said. The problem was a broken circlip, that when the dog went to engage the top small gear, the clip wasnt there, so it pushed the gear off the big gear on the rod. I ordered a new clip and bushing and it should be good to go. After seeing whats all in there, I am convinced motor oil(any weight) would do fine and that the 11.50 a qt AG oil they sell is a gimic. There is no different metals, no brass, all steel or cast steel. I expected more, quite simple, yet durable design.

Good find for you! Sometimes you just don't know until you get into it. Parts diagrams help some, but sometimes you just have to open it up.

Doesn't that machine have a belt drive CVT transmission? If so, where part do the gears/oil play?

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Doesn't that machine have a belt drive CVT transmission? If so, where part do the gears/oil play?

True. The "transmission" is actually just a gearbox, in this case for forward/reverse.

Ill post some pictures before I put it back together. I have another Polaris I bought, It was blown up and after I rebuilt it, I found a hole on the side of the tranny. Apparently they were running it without oil. I paid $140 for it. I patched the hole and it still works fine, it just whines and reverse makes a racheting sound. I decided to run it till it stops(I have another tranny to go in it) That one should be interesting to see the contents of. The only real purpose of lubricant in there is to bathe the gears and keep the chain lubricated. Thats why I cant see any motor oil working fine. I may even try some Lucas in that whiner, to see what it does. You know like the little display on the counter gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back