Oil Change Interval on Heavy Equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many hours do you go before changing your oil in backhoes and bulldozers etc. Our manuals say 500 hours on dino oil. How long on synthetic oil?

I agree with Chris142, I handle or oversee most of the oil changes for our small fleet (Backhoe, three air compressors, two dump trucks, two utility trucks and some various trailers) of equipment at work and I stick with 200 hours. We use whatever major brand, conventional 15W-40 HDEO is priced best at the time. I think the manual for our newest piece of equipment (Sullair 185 with a John Deere 4024) mentioned something about a 500 hour interval, but was specific about the requirements the oil must meet, otherwise I think the interval was 200-250 hours. It's my opinion that if you want to extend your OCI on commercial equipment that you really need to start trending a series of analysis' to see what will work for your application, it's not just a simple matter of using "synthetic" and doubling the OCI. Keep in mind a failure of a piece of equipment will usually cost you a lot more than just the repairs, the downtime costs can be substantial!

I would agree with the other posts if you are going to extend you oil change intervals UOAs to verify how the oil is holding up would be proper procedure. Then work your way up on the hours I couldn't imagine todays price on repairs and replacement.

I have read that if you are using off road diesel with the newer oils you should reduce your oil change interval. I do not have specifics, I only recently heard of this. We have compact diesels and run Rotella 5w40 in two of them the rest get Rotella 10w30 we try to change at the recommended OCI.

Hi,
IME a UOA programme is the best way to set diesel OCIs

In my case I start with the correctly specified mineral oil, progress to a semi-synthetic and if the ecomonics stack up use a synthetic. In my own case my OCIs were averaged at six times the recommended OCIs

The use of the correct specification lubricant is very important

In my case the progression period from mineral to synthetic was nearly two years

IMO a trended UOA programme is fundamental to setting correct OCIs if staying with a mineral lubricanst

Deere introduces Plus-5011 premium engine oil
Slate Canon December 4th, 2009
John Deere has introduced new Plus-50 II Premium Engine Oil for use in high-speed four-stroke diesel engines in heavy-duty agricultural and off-road equipment and lighter duty on-road vehicles.

Plus-50 II replaces Plus-50 engine oil, which has been one of John Deere’s most widely used premium engine oils.

According to Sheri Barta, product line marketing manager for John Deere, Plus-50 II provides up to 500 hours of advanced lubrication performance in modern, low-emission engines and exceeds the requirements of the American Petroleum Institute Service Category CJ-4. “Tests show that Plus-50 II allows for extended oil change intervals up to 500 hours, or nearly twice the engine hours of typical engine oils. Plus-50 II is the recommended engine oil for John Deere Interim Tier 4 engines, for maximum engine wear and corrosion protection,” Barta says.

In addition, Plus-50 II is backward compatible and can be used in all older-model diesel engine applications where Plus-50 oil has been used. “Plus-50 II has been extensively tested in heavy-duty off-road applications and surpasses our most extreme engine dyno test for high temperature oxidation in the industry,” Barta adds. “It provides maximum sludge and varnish control, while inhibiting oxidation and soot under a wide range of operating conditions, to help reduce oil consumption and extend engine life.”

John Deere Plus-50 II meets or exceeds the requirements for most major diesel engine manufacturers. It comes in SAE 15W-40 and 10W-30 viscosity grades and is available in a variety of quantities from one quart containers to 6,000-gallon tanker truck loads. Users should refer to their equipment dealer or engine manufacturer for specific oil-use recommendations.

For more information about Plus-50 II Premium Engine Oil, visit your John Deere dealer or http://www.JohnDeere.com.

Originally Posted By: callbay
How many hours do you go before changing your oil in backhoes and bulldozers etc. Our manuals say 500 hours on dino oil. How long on synthetic oil?

Well it depends....

if were talking new equipment we/here stick to 200-250hr intervals, for one manufacture specs shorter runs to flush wear metals and for two it gives you a chance to give it a good looking over making sure things are tight and still in place from the manufacturing process.

but our used equipment(Heavy and heavy trucks) thats out of warranty and are years old yes we've done 500 hrs no problem UOA's showed we could have gone more.

your going to find out synthetics will add up in a hurry when your dumping 48qts+ in a block! i would stick with name brand(one of the big three)conventional 15w40(summer)and 300-500hr intervals with a quality fleet filter,also air filtration is key here maybe more then engine lubrication.

Depends on the application and how hard you're running the equipment. For construction and agricultural equipment, 250 hours is a commonly recommended OCI. But for older tractors being pulled hard in very dirty conditions, 100 hours is not uncommon. And for something like a generator that stays nice and hot under a constant load with not too much dirt- 500 hours or even more is not uncommon.

For your bulldozers, backhoes, and such- it's gonna depend on what specific equipment you're talking about and what kind of conditions you're running in. If it's hot and dusty, you'll want to change more often than 500 hours. If it's cool and damp, you can probably get away with longer OCI's.

What makes/models of equipment are we talking about here? What conditions are they being used in? What kind of work are you doing with them?

After doing a few UOAs, its not too bad going 500 hours with most the construction and farm machinery we use on our farm. Keep an eye on your air filters and keep them blown out and that will help a lot. We use a generic oil brand called Service Pro, that is a good oil and is still very affordable.

The dozer is an 06 John Deere 550J.

The Backhoe is a 07 Cat 420.

The track loader is a 07 450CT.

They are operated in NW Arkansas which is dusty a lot.

I have many customers running 500 or so hours with a group II CI-4 ans our lousy diesel. I've run great analysis on many with as many as 720 hours. But most start looking for a convenient time to change between 400 and 500. One company with about 30 big agricultural tractors runs 400 to 700 hours and now has 20,000 to 22,000 hours on most of them without repairs.

The risk of extending is what happens if people aren't watching other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back