mos2 technical reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not pushing it, as you can tell by my sig,I like LM products. So far I'm only satisfied with them :), and you can really tell that they work,some immediately.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
By the way guys, have anybody tried Ceratech by Lubro Moly? I've heard from reputable person that it makes wonders,3 times better than moly additive. Lasts for 30000 miles(or km, don't remember).Works same way as Moly, but covers with synthetic layer similar to very slippery ceramics. But the only site I found that sells it in USA wants around 50 bucks for it. Will give it a try. Anyone also willing to try it?

I've read and was told by a lead chemist working for a company that sells both moly and the ceramic lubes that they found the ceramic additive finds its way into the combustion chamber and can foul plugs. I have no first hand experience with ceramic additives, I've read about the fouling issue several times, and actually spoke to a chemist about it who comfirmed what I read. I've also read about people using it with no issues.

If I was considering using it I would not use it in a car that burns oil. JMO

If my plugs will get foiled again, I would be really upset,not a big deal changing them out,atleast for me, I can reach those 3 cylinders close to firewall without removing intake.

Well, I finally took the plunge on this additive after hearing such positive things.

First added it to the Corolla, have driven it ~50 miles so far. Impressed so far, already noticing smoother/quieter operation. Also almost non-existent steering wheel "vibration".

Then today, changed the oil in the F100. Used Delo 15w40 and a bottle of Mos2. It seems to have quieted down a bit after only 15 miles of driving.

Hard to beat so far for $4.29/can. I tried it out of curiosity and because my beloved Lubegard Biotech is getting expensive. On their website the quart bottle went from $19.XX to $28.XX, not including shipping.

Will update as more miles accrue.

^I too have taken the 'plunge'. I added the correct dosage per the can's instructions to the little 92-hp Civic. We'll see how the gas mileage goes from here. Performance and "feel" is good, though. Before the idle was rougher, definitely. Now, some 750 miles in it feels like my full temp idle doesn't get as low as it did before, perhaps a moderate oil pressure drop enough to make the warm idle at a stop lug the engine slightly. Of course, this is with 95 degrees and A/C ran most of the time expect for accelerating from a complete stop at times.

Organic moly (= oil-soluble moly) is usually superior to raw MoS_2 particles in suspension.

Most organic moly contains sulfur as well and it works by forming a thin film of Mo, S, and other atoms on the metal surfaces. In that sense organic moly and MoS_2 work in the same way by forming an extreme-pressure film on the metal parts.

The problem with raw MoS_2 is that it's not oil-soluble and it's harder to make it useful as a practical oil additive.

The latest and most successful organic-moly technology is the trinuclear moly patented by Infineum/Exxon-Mobil. It's an excellent extreme-pressure, antiwear, antioxidant, and friction-modifier additive.

(One useless kind of moly additive is the organic moly that does not contain sulfur.)

Here is the info on trinuclear moly. It's found in Mobil Delvac 1300 Super and possibly in most Mobil and Pennzoil products:

Presentation on how trinuclear moly works

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Organic moly (= oil-soluble moly) is usually superior to raw MoS_2 particles in suspension.

Most organic moly contains sulfur as well and it works by forming a thin film of Mo, S, and other atoms on the metal surfaces. In that sense organic moly and MoS_2 work in the same way by forming an extreme-pressure film on the metal parts.

The problem with raw MoS_2 is that it's not oil-soluble and it's harder to make it useful as a practical oil additive.

The latest and most successful organic-moly technology is the trinuclear moly patented by Infineum/Exxon-Mobil. It's an excellent extreme-pressure, antiwear, antioxidant, and friction-modifier additive.

(One useless kind of moly additive is the organic moly that does not contain sulfur.)

Here is the info on trinuclear moly. It's found in Mobil Delvac 1300 Super and possibly in most Mobil and Pennzoil products:

Presentation on how trinuclear moly works

Great Info !!

What products are available that we can purchase and add ourselves ?

Originally Posted By: FMC
Gokhan said:
Great Info !!

What products are available that we can purchase and add ourselves ?

I think the closest product to the Moly Gokhan mentioned that you can buy to add to oil would be Bio Tech Engine Protectant, from Lubegard.

If you want to use an aftermarket moly additive, I think LiquidMoly MoS_2 is your only choice. It's not organic (oil-soluble) moly but raw MoS_2 but people have good reviews about it; so, it seems to be a good product. (Note that Liquid Moly also sells an organic-moly variant -- under the name Synthetic Motor Protect -- but it doesn't contain sulfur, which results in no MoS_2-film formation on metal surfaces, which in turn makes it a useless product.)

There are also oils that contain a lot of moly, such as 0W-20 Japanese ENEOS (datasheet) and 0W-20 genuine-OEM Toyota oils, as well as some formulations of Formula Shell etc. There are also oils that explicitly mention moly in their formulation. Trinuclear moly is the best organic moly and you're most likely to get it through Mobil and Shell (Pennzoil, Quaker State, Formula Shell, Rotella, etc.) products, as it's made by Infineum of Exxon-Mobil and Shell. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 (also available in 10W-30) explicitly mentions trinuclear moly in its datasheet.

ENEOS_0W-20.jpg

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Gokhan- have you looked into Bio Tech Engine Protectant?

Yes, but that one doesn't contain moly; so, I didn't mention it in the moly products in my post above.

Bio Tech Engine Protectant might indeed be a good additive but I know very little about it. There are organic friction modifiers that don't contain moly and this would be one of them.

Bio Tech Engine Protectant might indeed be a good additive but I know very little about it. There are organic friction modifiers that don't contain moly and this would be one of them.

Here's a reply from a question my son had sent to the Lubegard people. My son asked about Bio Tech Engine Protectant and MoS2.

Lubegard products do not contain zinc, chlorinated paraffin’s, solvents or seal swell agents. If the product that you are referring to is MoS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment then they should be compatible when mixed together in the total engine oil solution. Please note that our product does also contain moly.

Please let me know if I can do anything else.

Best regards,

Does anyone know how much MOLY Biotech Engine Protectant has in it, we do have a VOA on MoS2, do we have a VOA on Biotech Engine Protectant.

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan
Does anyone know how much MOLY Biotech Engine Protectant has in it, we do have a VOA on MoS2, do we have a VOA on Biotech Engine Protectant.

Try a search, maybe you'll have better luck than I did. LOL

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan

Try a search, maybe you'll have better luck than I did. LOL

I did try, no luck, but I have heard from members that the product has smoothed out there engines, so it must be a good product, I just wish we had a VOA on it, maybe if someone here has a bottle of this product they could send it out to get a VOA.

Here's a reply from a question my son had sent to the Lubegard people. My son asked about Bio Tech Engine Protectant and MoS2.

Lubegard products do not contain zinc, chlorinated paraffin’s, solvents or seal swell agents. If the product that you are referring to is MoS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment then they should be compatible when mixed together in the total engine oil solution. Please note that our product does also contain moly.

Please let me know if I can do anything else.

Best regards,

Thanks, it's possibly a good product. It might have some kind of organic moly in it as well.

However, it does seem to have a lot of phosphorous and sulfur in it according to this patent, and this could be a problem for new-car warranties and be a concern for catalytic converters.

If you want to use an aftermarket moly additive, I think LiquidMoly MoS_2 is your only choice. It's not organic (oil-soluble) moly but raw MoS_2 but people have good reviews about it; so, it seems to be a good product.

Torco Oil Co. sells two additives which contain (A LOT OF) organic soluble moly (MPZ and SEP).

Now whether or not they contain trinuclear organic moly is anyone's guess
21.gif
and I'm almost certain that they would not tell you if you asked (proprietary and all, you know the drill.
frown.gif
).

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Now whether or not they contain trinuclear organic moly is anyone's guess
21.gif
and I'm almost certain that they would not tell you if you asked (proprietary and all, you know the drill.
frown.gif
).

No worries. Chances are that it doesn't matter if it's trinuclear, mononuclear, or dinuclear if you have a high concentration of Mo.

I think basically, say, 75 ppm Mo via trinuclear moly does the same job in wear protection, antioxidation, and friction reduction as 300 ppm Mo via dinuclear moly, but at one point (after a certain moly level) the effects saturate for both. Therefore, if you don't have trinuclear moly but have dinuclear or mononuclear moly, all you have to do is to add more moly, and you will see the same end result. The important thing is that the organic moly should contain both Mo and S; otherwise, it won't result in the coating of the metal parts with a MoS_2 film and you won't see friction-reduction and antiwear benefits.

Interesting that there are so many aftermarket organic-moly additives out there (Lubeguard, Torco, etc.). I didn't know.

I was interested in the Lubegard Biotech Engine Protectant. I believe there's a good chance it's not just a waste of money completely, LubeGard makes good products. Now, which oil to pair it with? That's the question worth discussing overall value to.

Take a 5,000 mile dino oil to 7,000? That'd be incredible. Make your EP oils go even farther?!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back