Stabilizing peeling chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

If I have chrome wheels that are showing some corrosion and peeling. I doubt it is fixable/reversible without big $$$, but my intent is to stabilize as best as possible. What is the best approach? Should I peel off the peeling chrome? Steel wool the pitted spots? Aluminum foil rub the surfaces? For spots where there was peeling, should I put clearcoat paint? Clear nail polish? Something else?

I put a few pics, though they don't show the damage the best...

Any info would be great. Thanks!!!

IK3_9807.jpg

5ddea7e2.jpg

57e303c9.jpg

I tried everything on my 06 Infiniti M35 chrome aluminum wheels that were peeling badly.
Nothing helped, the aluminum is corroding under the chrome and it just spreads like wildfire.
Sorry to say but 4 new wheels was the only real fix in my case they were so bad under the chrome.

If its only very minor, peel the chrome away and polish the aluminum to a mirror finish then use one of the new high tech spray chrome finishes to blend it in then clear coat.

This is just one example.

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/magicchrome.html

Last edited:
Uggh... I've sprayed wheels before. I'm too picky. I'd rather spot fix and be unhappy than put that much work into it and be unhappy...

I saw this:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/524-cleaning-chrome-wheels/

And I've read that foil is one of the best ways to polish.

Some other indications are that "chrome" or perhaps "chromed" wheels are actually plastic chrome. Don't think that is true, seems that wheels are done in a three step process using nickel and/or copper...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Hi,

If I have chrome wheels that are showing some corrosion and peeling. I doubt it is fixable/reversible without big $$$, but my intent is to stabilize as best as possible. What is the best approach? Should I peel off the peeling chrome? Steel wool the pitted spots? Aluminum foil rub the surfaces? For spots where there was peeling, should I put clearcoat paint? Clear nail polish? Something else?

I put a few pics, though they don't show the damage the best...

Any info would be great. Thanks!!!

IK3_9807.jpg

5ddea7e2.jpg

57e303c9.jpg

Not sure. Srry.

But you HAVE to post more pics of this thing up!!!

I am thinking about picking up a old 300D for a weekend/project car!

I never tried the foil but i believe yours are a real chrome metal plating, mine is and the chrome is sharp and thin like a razor where its peeling, positively a metal plating on aluminum no plastic.

I feel your pain spraying wheels, i have done some clear coat on polished aluminum, it takes many hours to do it properly.

If you want to do it right and not invest in new wheels find someone to strip the chrome/copper then either send them off to get chromed or find someone that is handy with a paint gun. I've slowly gotten better with a paint gun throughout the years of owning various old dirtbikes/quads and finally a few cars until my current one.

I've painted quite a few wheels for friends with good results, just very time consuming and lots of patience is needed because rushing results in a bad final product.

Just as an example, hubcaps sprayed with PS2 bright silver metallic, flat black center, and fully clear coated. 2 days to spray them black center first, then masked off and sprayed silver. Finally I cleared the whole things let them dry and baked them for an hour.

Steel wheels were also repainted semi-flat black since Michigan road salt/chloride absolutely destroys them.

imag0010y.jpg

imag0022m.jpg

Honestly I've never found a way to stop chrome plating from chipping/peeling once it begins. I hate chrome for that reason alone since on the roads I travel daily it only lasts a few years even with multiple washes a week and lots of heavy wax coatings/wheel protectants. Maybe look into some polished aluminum wheels if you're willing to spend the money? That's the route I'll be going at the end of the summer when I purchase new tires.

Reminds me of the older Ludwig Supraphonic snare drums that have spun shells of aluminum alloy. Hard to find one of them where the chrome is not peeling off or pitted.

I own a drum like this from 1968 and it's either leave it alone or strip it back to the aluminum and then polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back