Q.S. Ultimate Durability VS Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering using Quaker State Ultimate Durability in my 1996 Toyota Tacoma 2.4L on my next run. Is there any measurable difference or benefit to Pennzoil Platinum over the Quaker State? Are the additive packs the same and just paying more for the Pennzoil name? Is there any difference in the conventional oil versions as well?

Though owned by the same company, they are separate divisions with their own products. They are similar in quality, with Pennzoil considered a notch above QS.

8050020_qus_5062625_pri_detl.jpg

In the 5W30 PP has Honda's certification of HTO-06 which makes it more high temperature stable for turbo operation.

Originally Posted By: 229
In the 5W30 PP has Honda's certification of HTO-06 which makes it more high temperature stable for turbo operation.

Which the does nothing for the Toyota 4 cyl that the OP is asking about.

To the OP: Personally any(conventional or syn) of the QS/Pennzoil offerings will protect your Toyota just as well as the other for the 5k or 6 months that is the recommended OCI.

Take care, Bill

I switched about a year ago from PP to QSUD and I haven't noticed any difference except paying about $5 less per oil change....

I was planning on QSUD when I went to WalMart today for oil. But they were out of 5w30. So I went for Rotella T6 5w40...also sold out. PYB 5w30? Sold out. QS conventional? In stock. PP? In stock. Never ran the PP before so I went with that for a change of pace.

I've been using PP in my vehicles for about four years. But I took a look at the specs for both oils.

Pennzoil Platinum

Quaker State Ultimate Durability

In my flavor of 5W-30, the QSUD, seemed in my opinion, to have slightly better specs. In reality they were negligible, but with QSUD being the better bargain, my 2011 Silverado just got it's first oil change with QSUD last week.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
...To the OP: Personally any(conventional or syn) of the QS/Pennzoil offerings will protect your Toyota just as well as the other for the 5k or 6 months that is the recommended OCI....
+1
That said, if strictly given the choice between PP and QSUD, with the $3 coopin good till 7/31 on the 5qt jugs of PP at Wally, it puts PP within $1 of QSUD, PP it would be. But that's just me.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
I've been using PP in my vehicles for about four years. But I took a look at the specs for both oils.

Pennzoil Platinum

Quaker State Ultimate Durability

The QSUD link has this in the language:

QUAKER STATE® ULTIMATE DURABILITY AG FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL

What's the "AG"? It's prolific throughout the document. I was studying the back of a QSUD bottle this weekend and don't remember anything "AG".

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: 229

Which the does nothing for the Toyota 4 cyl that the OP is asking about.

To the OP: Personally any(conventional or syn) of the QS/Pennzoil offerings will protect your Toyota just as well as the other for the 5k or 6 months that is the recommended OCI.

Take care, Bill

OP: "Is there any measurable difference or benefit to Pennzoil Platinum over the Quaker State?"

PP has HTO-06 and ACEA A1/B1-08 approval QSUD has A1-02. This is in the 5W30 SAE viscosity.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i used to always use pennzoil but their prices are insane....Honestly any sm or sn oil will do just fine

These price pts are likely really helping ST Dino's market share. Wally ultimately wins in a tough economy.

My Sienna started w/ a mix of Schaeffers and ST dino and I'm topping off w/ the ST. I like it (ST) and I like it's price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back