Can you mix viscosities of oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a leftover quart of Mobil 1 5W-30. I'd like to switch over to a 0W-30 or -40 for the next OC for better cold performance. Mobil 1 gallon jugs are on sale for $19.99. The Subaru takes 4.2 quarts. Can I put in 4 quarts of 0W-xx and top off the remaining 200 mL with the extra quart of Mobil 1?

yep, i don't see a problem with that. That minute measurement of oil likely won't have any effect "in the mix"....

If you couldn't mix groups, grades and brands of oil, there'd be a whole lot of dead cars lining the roads.
I once did this pretty routinely, although I now do it rarely.
The engines in which I mixed oil with no particular concern for brand, group or grade all went on to live long, happy lives.
FWIR, and based on our older one at least, you can't kill a Subaru merely by playing around with the oil.
Heck, Subaru allows for the use of just about any oil grade you might happen to run across, so I'd say that Subies aren't too picky about oil.

Originally Posted By: tired
I have a leftover quart of Mobil 1 5W-30. I'd like to switch over to a 0W-30 or -40 for the next OC for better cold performance. Mobil 1 gallon jugs are on sale for $19.99. The Subaru takes 4.2 quarts. Can I put in 4 quarts of 0W-xx and top off the remaining 200 mL with the extra quart of Mobil 1?

I think this is the 'umteenth' "can I mix oils" post on this board. How many times do we all have to say....ITS OK! Mix to your hearts content.........

At 4.2qt capacity, I'd dump the gallon in and not worry about it... Use the extra qt if it gets down to the "ADD" before the next scheduled OCI...

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What would make you think otherwise?

Well I wasn't sure if the different additives etc could react and form precipitates or sludge, etc. Just checking.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
I think this is the 'umteenth' "can I mix oils" post on this board. How many times do we all have to say....ITS OK! Mix to your hearts content.........

Sorry, I'm new to the boards and haven't spent too much time following. I'm catching up though.

So you can mix different brands too? They won't interact?

All the oils are compatible, there are only a handfull of additive companies that make the additive packages the oil companies/bottlers .

Originally Posted By: TFB1
At 4.2qt capacity, I'd dump the gallon in and not worry about it... Use the extra qt if it gets down to the "ADD" before the next scheduled OCI...

This is exactly what I do with our Impreza.

Originally Posted By: tired
Originally Posted By: Steve S
What would make you think otherwise?

Well I wasn't sure if the different additives etc could react and form precipitates or sludge, etc. Just checking.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Sorry, I'm new to the boards and haven't spent too much time following. I'm catching up though.

So you can mix different brands too? They won't interact?

Sorry about being so harsh....I didn't realize you were a 'newbe'.....I just have seen this type of question so many times here on BITOG....I forget that there are new people on this site almost everyday.

YES.....mixing brands, different viscosities is all OK.

The last time I did this I mixed 3.5 quarts of M-1 5w20EP....and 1 quart of Amsoil 0w20. Ran an OCI of 10,600 miles...with no issues.

No worries at all.

I just put 4.5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum into my Subaru (it always reads a little low at the 4.2 the manual states) out of a 5 quart container for the oil that will be in for the end of summer through the end of winter. I now have about .5 quart that will get added with a gallon of Rotella T6 5w40 when it will be time for the spring to end of summer oil change.

I just dumped into the Buick:

3qts of Resolute 5w30 (Fleet Farm's "house brand"), a GF-4/SM oil

1qt Syntec 5w40 (SL)

1/2qt G-oil 5w30 (SM)

The engine was replaced with a remanned unit about 19k miles ago. Ask me how concerned I am that I'm going to "grenade" this thing.

*The replacement was lube related only tangentially. Injector failure led to cylinder wall washdown and a nice siezed #6 cylinder.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
No worries at all.

I just put 4.5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum into my Subaru (it always reads a little low at the 4.2 the manual states) out of a 5 quart container for the oil that will be in for the end of summer through the end of winter. I now have about .5 quart that will get added with a gallon of Rotella T6 5w40 when it will be time for the spring to end of summer oil change.

This is exactly what I want to do. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back