Scored a FREE running Lawnboy mower tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw an ad in the classifieds today for a free Lawnmower. The person said it would start, run then stall. He didn't want to bother with it, so he bought an electric mower and was just giving the Lawnboy away. My first thought was that someone had run the engine without oil and seized it, but I went and picked it up anyway. First thing I did when I got it home was put a new spark plug in it, cleaned out the little inline fuel filter thing and put some fresh non-ethanol gas and oil in it. It took about a dozen pulls to get it to fire up and when it did, it was running like [censored] and almost stalling. I just let it run for about 10 minutes and it started clearing up and running smoother. I decided it was running well enough to mow some grass so I went and attacked our old lawn. There was some pretty thick grass but the Lawnboy never showed a hint of struggling. It's running a lot smoother now than it was when I picked it up earlier today but I think it could still be a bit better. For example, if you open the throttle up quickly it'll just stumble but if you open it slowly it won't complain. I think I might try some Seafoam in the gas and maybe a bit with a syringe through the carb. Here's a video I took just after finishing mowing our lawn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53FI2T8ygxw

and a pic of the serial number tag:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a289/Infinitrium/CIMG0515.jpg

Can anyone tell me what year this was made in?

Originally Posted By: chad8
c 04 71 is probably a april 71 date .

No.... That's WAY newer than a 1971 model. Please, stop with the wild (and highly inaccurate) guesses.

That's an early 1990's model.

The first letter "C" designates it as a Canada model. S21ZPM's were made for the US market in 1991, so that should be your year.

I also received my Lawn-boy for free. It did need a $32 ignition coil though. I just love the sound of these things and they do seem to have some unusually strong low-end grunt.

Enjoy!

Good deal!

Save yourself the grief and clean the carb. I've got four old LB mowers. Three are running great and the third needs a CDI module. Which is an all too frequent failure problem with post points Lawn Boys. The three that I have running needed carb work and once cleaned, run as good as new. Can't beat these mowers as far as I'm concerned. They are very durable, plenty strong and nice and light. A pleasure to use compared to much heavier modern mowers.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I just love the sound of these things and they do seem to have some unusually strong low-end grunt.

Enjoy!

Yeah! That "Throw a rod at anytime now" Sound.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back