SN rating: Full syn still much better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using full syn in my 05 focus 2.3 for 90% of it's 100100 miles. I was planning on just running reg dino from now on. Under the SN rating are the dino oils seem to be better built than SM rating dinos. Have the full syns improved as much as the dinos? I'm thinking most full syns already passed SN tests under SM formula. Whatcha think?

Any SN rated oil (dino or syn) will show reduced wear, reduced sludge, and reduced piston deposits, compared to an SM rated oil.

Most of the dinos and syns are currently SN rated oils. You should make your decision based on the OCI you're looking for.

FWIW, Motorcraft 5W-20 SN synthetic blend is rated for 7,500 miles in 2.3L Fords without an Intelligent Oil Life Moniter and for up to 10,000 miles for vehicles with an IOLM.

IMO the more advanced ratings drive the need for more of a syn content in order to meet the requirements. So youre starting to see superior add packs and superior basestocks that may be/have syn in it.

We're getting closer and closer to just having syn oils for the current specs.

Much better? Doubtful. More robust at the extremes? Likely/

Originally Posted By: JCM35
I have been using full syn in my 05 focus 2.3 for 90% of it's 100100 miles. I was planning on just running reg dino from now on. Under the SN rating are the dino oils seem to be better built than SM rating dinos. Have the full syns improved as much as the dinos? I'm thinking most full syns already passed SN tests under SM formula. Whatcha think?

Questions...before making a decision?
What are your driving habits (mostly highway. 50/50 etc.)?
What OCI do you hope to accomplish?
What Filter are you using... or plan on using?
Do you do your own oil changes?
Are you doing because of financial reasons...or is that not an issue?

03' Ford Focus (2.3L Duratec PZEV) / 98,500
PP 0w20 / Purolator PureOne / OCI: 8,000 +/-

Oregoonian---75% highway driving. Currently using K&N oil filters and pp 5w20 SN. My plan was to run purolator classic and valvoline or quaker state 5w20 dino SN for 5000 intervals. Whatever i decide it will be changed out this afternoon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JCM35
Oregoonian---75% highway driving. Currently using K&N oil filters and pp 5w20 SN. My plan was to run purolator classic and valvoline or quaker state 5w20 dino SN for 5000 intervals. Whatever i decide it will be changed out this afternoon.

and.....how much will you be saving by go the 'dino' route?

How long are you currently running your synthetic oil? Surely...if you're only running it 5000 miles, I'd say, go ahead and go with the dino switch; IMHO most of the conventional oils seem to be coming near "close" to synthetic-equivalent....sure it may not be completely "synthetic" fluid, but the additives they use are surely "man made" synthetic
wink.gif

But on the otherhand, If you're only running PP for 5000 miles, I'd have to slap you
smile.gif
You should be able to easily take that oil 7.5k if not more.....but to know for sure, granted, would require getting an oil analysis done, which adds extra cost to your maintenance.

With some SN add packs it looks like they avoided the price increase by giving less of the product. Kinda like toilet paper does when they give you less of a roll for the same price.

I'm thinking...That each time the "NEW" oil changes from one designation to the next(SL/GF-3 to SM/GF-4 to SN/GF-5), that it just may make synthetic oils less significant in normal everyday use. But, I still beleive that synthetic oils are a must in very extreme condition where every little bit helps.

*Extreme ((COLD)) starts-Northern Canada
*Extreme "HOT" conditions-Southwest US
*Extended OCI's-10,000+ mile oci's
*Continuously High RPM's-Race track
*Engines that are not kind to/hard on oils.-IMG/HG problem engines.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
With some SN add packs it looks like they avoided the price increase by giving less of the product. Kinda like toilet paper does when they give you less of a roll for the same price.

Where are you getting this info from?

What`s the actual differences between PYB and Ultra,VWB and Synpower,etc (besides marketing)? Since they`re purified dino`s and not pao`s or esters,are they just "purified" versions of their dino oils? Do they have different/better add packs,or is it the same oil with all of the impurities removed?

SN is just slightly better than SM...each update on the oil spec is a bit better than the previous spec. (No, I don't want to get into a ZDDP discussion.)

Group III "synthetic" base oil is more than just purified dino. It is changed at the molecular level by the severe hydro-processing--or "purified" by changing the molecular structure, however you wish to express it. Chemically engineered PAO and other "true synthetic" base oils may have a few additional attributes like slightly higher film strength and slightly better operation at very low temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back