Mobil 1 vs ACDelco dexos synthetic blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIC

I have a 2010 Cadillac CTS 3.6L. OEM oil is Mobil 1 5W-30, says so in the manual and on the cap. Brought it to Cadillac dealer assuming they would put Mobil 1 in. Reading invoice after the fact, it said, "dexos syn blend oil." Presumably it was GM's own ACDelco. Dealer said that was now the recommended oil.

I called another Cadillac dealer and asked what they would put in and he said Mobil 1 and that the dexos syn blend was a money saving alternative ($60 vs $80).

While I understand that dexos is fine, I want what's best, not just OK. Intuitively, it seems to me that fully synthetic Mobil 1 is better than GM's syn blend. On the other hand, if they're equal, wouldn't mind saving a few dollars either. Interestingly, if that same 3.6L engine is in a Chevy or a Buick, it did not call for Mobil 1 in 2010. Any thoughts out there?

Second question. I drive low miles, maybe 5,000 per year. When I hit the one year mark, the OLM still said I had about 70% life left but I changed it anyway at about 2,000 miles (first oil change). Any other recommendations other than changing it yearly regardless of OLM life left? Same for Mobile 1 or dexos syn blend?

In my low mileage cars (2k-3k per year) with conventional oil, I change every six months. Is that OK? Thank you.

Chances are the OLM is designed for M1 full synthetic not a blend or dino. If the dealer said the blend was now the reccomended oil, I would have him check with Cadillac and see if they got the memo.

For your mileage, changing with the blend at one year intervals will be fine.

Try calling different GM dealers for their oil change prices. $60 for a blend and $80 for M1 seems high. Here M1 is $60 at the local Chevy dealer.

You could also change it yourself for about $30 per oil change with a synthetic.

At my local GM dealership its about 50 for a M1 oil change... I would not be super pleased about the unknown blend being in my new car.. the best way to make sure the right thing gets in there is to do it yourself..

Your oil change intervals are fine. The Mobil1 is a superior oil because it also has HTO-06 approval. The ACDelco is good to use also, he may be using bulk for it and bottled now for Mobil1 as he has adjusted his inventory.

Both products are on the GM approval list for Dexos 1. So in GM's eyes, they are exactly the same.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Dexos supersedes all previous GM oil specs, so you are good to go!

Agree.

It's a GM Approved Oil, used by a GM Dealer. What's the problem? There are multiple brands of oils that meet the Dexos spec. Mobil 1 is only one of them.

I wouldn't wait more than a year to change oil regardless to how many miles on it, as it contaminates due to time. As far as the acdelco versus m1, I would think full synthetic would be better in the long run and it's cheap insurance. That's the direction I chose and my vehicle requires a dexos1 oil. Little is said here at bitog about AcDelco oil's durability.

Last edited:
BIC,

At my brothers Caddy dealership they use Castrol "Syntec" instead of GM/Mobil 1 instead. So tht bing said not all GM dealers go by what the factory says. I'm pretty sure Mobil 1 and Syntec are about equivelant in quality.

I had thought that GM's version is the same as Mobil 1 "Dexos" as I understood it.

Durango

I'd go to one year intervals with your low yearly mileage cars too. Conventional oil will be fine over the year.

Oil does not contaminate over time the way brake fluid does and if you are changing the oil at 70% of life left definitely go with the cheaper change as long as it meets specs.

Yearly changes are best done in the spring after all your winter cold starts.

I did a Virgin oil analysis on the ACDelco Synblend 5W-30. It's made by Mobil and has a very good additive package. The ACDelco oil will be fine for one year oil changes in your car.

ACDelco VOA

Jiffy Lube here charges $79.99 for a synthetic oil change and that is for 6 quarts max. If you have a 7 quart sump like me they charge and extra $6.99 per quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back