CR-V Front End Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a noise in the front end of my 2008 CR-V that is apparently rather hard to find. It's been to the dealer twice now. First trip, they replaced the sway bar end links. That didn't fix it. I replaced the sway bar bushings myself. That didn't fix it. This week, the dealer installed new struts. That didn't fix it.

There's a very rough section of super old asphalt in front of our building at work. It's not rough as in it's been patched a bunch; it's just very pitted and pocked, like it's been there for 50 years (it probably has). If I roll across it at a moderate roll (15 mph), I can hear a rattle in the front end. Sounds JUST like loose sway bar bushings, like a continual series of dull thuds. I can't tell where it's coming from, seems to be from the right side, and I can't tell if it's coming from up high or down low. I seem to be able to feel the noise in the floorboard. Seems to be coming from the center of the car as much as anything else, but there doesn't seem to be anything making contact under there.

But as I roll, as soon as I drag the brake, the noise disappears. I don't have to drag it hard, certainly not hard enough to stop the car. Just enough to cause a slight drag.

This weekend, I am going to rebuild the brakes, just to take those out of my mind; I feel the noise may be coming from one or both of the front calipers. I need to get a tube of M-77 from Honda, and some caliper pin lube from the store. Pep Boys has a set of front brake hardware, including the new caliper slides for the brake pads and new pin boots. I read one report on the internet of a dealer telling a customer that they could grease the caliper pins and make a rattling noise disappear, but it would only be temporary.

Everything seems tight. The sway bar is tight. The tie rods seem to be tight (I can't feel any movement in them). Ball joints seem good. Rocking the tire at 9-and-3 and 12-and-6 doesn't produce any movement. I have a large pry bar, and the control arm seems tight on its bushings, the subframe seems tight. I can't find any movement anywhere.

The frustrating thing is 98% of the time, it's quiet (which makes it a bear to diagnose). It's got to be a very particular type of irregularity for it to make the noise. A very "smooth" railroad crossing (where there's just slight suspension movement). Thick thermoplastic crosswalk tape stripes are perfect for this; it'll make the noise every time. A relatively flush manhole cover works also. And of course very old and pocked pavement. It's got to be a very slight suspension movement. I can go over very bumpy or heavily patched pavement all day long and it's quiet. And it's quiet on smooth pavement. It takes very slight (but sharp) impacts to make the noise. Seems to do it more at slower speeds, like 35 mph or less. I can sometimes hear it at faster speeds, but at those types of speeds, you don't tend to see the types of road surfaces required to make the noise.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this? It drives straight, it drives smooth, and it drives quiet 98% of the time. Unfortunately, our neighborhood has a number of crosswalk tape stripes, so I hear it every day coming and going.

I don't know if they replaced the upper strut mounts. I don't have any paperwork on it yet because they can't close out the ticket. Because I just recently bought it, I guess it's not in Honda's warranty system yet. I'd be really annoyed if it turns out to be the strut mounts; they could have replaced all the parts and done the job right, the first time.

I will say, however, that the upper strut mounts do appear to be new. I'm not going to call them back until after I have a chance to repack the front brakes.

I also have a 2008 CR-V, but I'm not sure if my noise is quite the same, but it also goes away if I step on the brake. Mine is more of a groaning noise, but it warbles as the wheels are turning. More like a "garunga, garunga, garunga" noise that gets faster if it's moving faster. It seems to be that the edges of the rotors are rusty, and there's not much clearance between the rotors and the pad springs, so once the rotors rust and expand with heat, they start rubbing. Going around corners can make it come and go, but once you step on the brake the noise is gone.

Interesting, thanks Dave. I can't tell if the pads on mine are original. It has 46k miles, and the pads look at least half there still. I'm beginning to think that maybe the pads have been replaced, and possibly with some aftermarket pads. I plan to re-pack the brakes this weekend, with new pad springs, new Molykote, and new slider pin lube. I will not replace the pads at this point, but may consider that in the future.

So you said that on yours, the pad springs appear to ever so slightly rub the outer circumference of the brake rotor? Do I understand that right?

That seems to be the case, although it's the rears that seem to do it the most for me. One day I finally got the brakes good and hot before jacking up the rear wheels, and was determined to find out what part was making the noise. The rear rotors had some scaly rust on the edge, and when I took the rear calipers off, the pad springs had some marks where the rotors seemed to be rubbing. Once I took a scraper and knocked the scaly stuff off the edge of the rotor, things were quiet for a while.

I clean up the pad guides and grease them annually since I live in the land of road salt. There's a TSB recommending this, and they can drag if the pads get sticky in their guides.

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank Honda for the free end links and new front struts.

I fixed the noise this afternoon with a simple 45 minute brake re-pack. I used Permatex anti-squeal paste (product link) and lightly coated the back side of the brake pad, then assembled the shim to it, then smeared a little more on the outer side of the shim, to seal the caliper to the shim. This product appears to do the same thing as the Honda M-77 Molykote, and acts as somewhat of an assembly paste.

Anyway, I put everything back together and the front end is quiet as a mouse now. All automotive repairs should be this easy.

You all have a great 4th of July weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back