Castrol TWS 10w60 - Where to buy in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Besides the BMW dealer that is.....?

I'd rather use a Mobil product, but it appears they don't make a lubricant suitable for this car.

I haven't got it yet, but I'd like to get all my ducks in a row ahead of time.

The dealer is the only source. If you can buy it in the USA online, then Tischer is the best source - it's about $11 a liter from them.

I have 10 liters in my garage that I had on hand for my E92 M3 that I don't have any more. Make me an offer...

SEe if you can get an account with IMC parts here in the US. They carry the 10w60 TWS and I have ordered it for friends that need it in track cars.

Lubro-Moly sells a 10w60 too. NAPA carries it.

Castrol Edge 10w60, Gulf Competition 10w60, Millers CFS 10w60, Mobil 1 Extended Life 10w60, and Shell Helix Ultra 10w60 are other alternatives.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Castrol Edge 10w60, Gulf Competition 10w60, Millers CFS 10w60, Mobil 1 Extended Life 10w60, and Shell Helix Ultra 10w60 are other alternatives.

So Mobil DOES make a 10w60? Strange, their application guide stated they didn't have a lube for this app.

Hi,
OVERKILL - Two versions of the "Castrol" 10W-60 lubricant exist. The ester based product is sold by BMW - the other is merchandised by Castrol

Both are great products with a long track record

IMO it is wise to use the lowest viscosity lubricant recommended by BMW for your application. You may NOT NEED the 10W-60 viscosity

Doug:

Thank you very much for your reply! I was hoping to be able to use M1 0w40, but I have not spoken to BMW yet.... So I don't know if this is an acceptable choice for this application or not.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

So Mobil DOES make a 10w60? Strange, their application guide stated they didn't have a lube for this app.

It's not available in all markets, that's why it's not listed. AFAIK it's not sold in North America.

he's on the same boat as me

i've used 0W40 in the winter and others use it in the summer too

all the brands named are on opieoils (but in the UK) and some are just as expensive as BMW TWS ($12.50US MSRP) but there's places or methods to get it cheaper (buy by the case)

the lubro moly was the next best thing, but @ napa it's $59US/5L not much different than TWS

There are several 10w60s. I know Ferraris spec it too.

Gulf Competition
Castrol Edge
Castrol Edge Sport
Millers CFS
M1 Extended Life
Shell Helix Ultra Racing
Liqui-Moly GT1
Greddy GR1
Redline
Motorex Cross Power (moto)
Motul 7100 (moto)

etc.

Fun fact, TWS stands for Ten W Sixty. :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m6pwr
Listen to Doug. What kind of car are you going to use 10w60 in, anyway?

I always listen to Doug.

Car in question is a BMW M5, E39.

usually an oil website's recommendation is best if they are already the supplier to that manufacturer (M1 = Porsche + Mercedes --- Castrol = BMW)

not too long ago the M1 website listed 5W30, plus it's not too difficult to find the remnants of the old recommendations...even when they list 10w60 they sneak in the (a) suffix saying 5W30 for >3/2000

johnanthony-albums-random-photos-picture10454-picture-1.png

johnanthony-albums-random-photos-picture10455-picture-2.png

even the U.S. castrol website kept the 5w30 recommendation - during the same time M1's website listed 5W30 so did castrol with no secondary choice of 10W60 unless it was a 2000 car
johnanthony-albums-random-photos-picture10456-picture-3.png

johnanthony-albums-random-photos-picture10457-picture-4.png

Last edited:
my comments are not saying that you shouldn't use 10w60, that's what i have in my car now - am just pointing this stuff out

...looks like someone forgot to inform castrol australia of what went down
johnanthony-albums-random-photos-picture10458-picture-5.png

Don't know why all the fuss and confusion. BMW NA says to use either TWS 10w60 or Castrol RS 10w60 in the M5 S62 engine: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/SyntheticEngineOils.aspx.

I think TWS is a great oil - - ester base stock with maybe a dose of castor oil additive (like the old RS), probably the best anti-wear additive around. I can get it at my SoCal dealer for around $11 a litre. Considering the quality of the oil, I think that its a fantastic deal. I wish I could have used it in my last BMW with the oil-killing (5w30) N54 twin turbo, direct injection motor.

At last year's ADAC races at the Nurburgring, Doug Hilliary said that many of the BMW private teams, and all the M3 cars of the factory race team, ran with TWS, and that many of the VW and Audi teams did as well, including an Audi R8. What's the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back