Review of STP Gas Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have been using STP Gas Treatment for a while now, and I have to say, it's great. It quiets down the motor, runs smoother, and accelerates faster and smoother. At $1.68 per bottle, I recommend it for anyone looking for a cleaner/treatment for their motors!

You sure? The little red STP bottle right? 5.25 oz. or something If I recall (which is odd....cause Lucas UCL is 5.25 oz as well, only in a different shaped bottle).

Last time I used it, I didn't notice much of a difference....per the MSDS the majority of it is Kerosene (dry gas) with some light cleaning ingredients....

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Well, I have been using STP Gas Treatment for a while now, and I have to say, it's great. It quiets down the motor, runs smoother, and accelerates faster and smoother. At $1.68 per bottle, I recommend it for anyone looking for a cleaner/treatment for their motors!

Plcebo ? (STP has No PEA)

IMO....You'll get much better results from either Techron, Regane or Redline Si-1 (my favorite).

Of course it will cost a little more than STP....but you always pay for quality.....

The ones I mentioned above.........All work equally well, but I use Si-1 as a mainyainance dose....with every fill-up. All have ample doses of PEA.

the STP red bottle is no better than the Gumout Gas treatment (also red bottle). It's a lightweight kerosene and can't even clean a lawnmower carb.

Why people buy it is only because of the price and advertising.
STP I think last year was advertising "Jet Fuel" on their labling.. didn't mean it was good then, and it's still pretty bad now IMHO.

I guess you learn something everyday... I'll be picking up some Techron on my next run to walmart
smile.gif

I have looked at the PDS's for the REGANE Fuel system Cleaner, Injector Cleaner. They all have Kerosene as their main ingredient as well. They were 2008 PDS's (the most recent I could find.) I would like someone to show me what Regane product has PEA. As of now the only one's I know 100% has PEA is RedLine SI-1, and Techron.

Hmmm, you guys have givin me some good info. I may be trying Chevron every 3K like it suggests. Or maybe the Regane, if I can find it.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Might do some very minor cleaning if used constantly. Better of using one of the above listed bottles with PEA every couple thousand miles.
Good point....and perhaps that's the effect...I know the STP product states to use "every fill up" and/or alternate with the "white" bottle of "Fuel Injector and Carburetor Cleaner" - but back in my early days of driving, I found that the MSDS looked nearly IDENTICAL for the red bottle, and the white bottle...lol. I don't know, perhaps the white bottle is "slightly" more potent than the red bottle, being that's it's got the "Carb Cleaner" in it too? Where as, the red "Gas Treatment" bottle to me, just seemed like something to "balance out" bad gas....the "Jet Fuel" was supposed to make the gas burn better, and thus "burn up" the bad gas (whether it be lower octane, or water in it...). Curious though, how long have you really been using the STP Gas Treatment? I mean, I'm not "knocking" you - but just seems crazy that you feel a difference with it in the fuel....BUT as mentioned previously, if you've been fairly "religious" in your use of the product, perhaps it has kept your internals clean
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I have looked at the PDS's for the REGANE Fuel system Cleaner, Injector Cleaner. They all have Kerosene as their main ingredient as well. They were 2008 PDS's (the most recent I could find.) I would like someone to show me what Regane product has PEA. As of now the only one's I know 100% has PEA is RedLine SI-1, and Techron.
Last I heard (actually, read it here on this board....) some years ago the various additive manufacturers stopped putting the "PEA" on the MSDS.....I guess what it boils down to, an MSDS only has to list "HAzardous Materials" basically....and perhaps in the past few years they've determined that "PEA" isn't as big of a hazard, so they've all removed the listing from their additives...

I know a year or 2 back, I believe it was Regane, that actually changed their bottles temporarily to "advertise" the fact that "PEA is in this Bottle!" lol.....

But now, no sign of it.....which is kind of strange.....to the "newb" down the additive aisle, they see
Gum Out Fuel Injector Cleaner
Gum Out Gas Treatment
Gum Out High Mileage Fuel Injector Cleaner
Gum Out Regane Fuel Injector Cleaner....

How's a "newb" supposed to know which one to get?
smile.gif

But yea, as I've been reading, seems there's all kinds of uses, doses, and speculation....I was reading last night about members doing "incremenet" doses of say, Regane, SL-1, Chevron Techron...rather than pouring the whole bottle in....basically for a "constant clean"...

I think a lot of what these additive manufacturers are doing is going for the "Shock Treatment" - throw the whole bottle in, and clean it out good, then use again in 3k......there's just Nooooo way the additive stays "live" in the tank for 3000 miles
wink.gif
They are likely indicating that by 3000 miles, that original "gunk" that was flushed out through the injectors has "came back" to be treated again.....but, if you use a maintenance dose every fill up, it'll keep the crud at bay for the complete 3k.

I figured this was the jist of it....cause back when I was tracking my MPG on my Kia's, I noticed after a couple tanks with the Fuel Injector ran through, the MPG would slowly go back down....almost like there was a build up.....sure, some may consider it a "margin of error" or whatever....who knows, perhaps it was
smile.gif
Those cars are history though...

My next step is probably gonna be Chevron Techron Concentrate in the tank, then at the next fill up, I'll try out TCW-3 oil, at 1 oz. per 5 gallons, in essence lubing the fuel pump, filter, injectors. and I had another theory, in the engine, oil works to "suspend" crud....well, I'm guessing it would do the same thing in the tank...."suspend" any possible dirt/gum/etc that may be in the tank, and thus burn it up as it goes through the injectors.....just a theory anyways
wink.gif

Long story short.....if the STP Gas Treatment is working for you, keep at it! I think that _IS_ the key to gas additives, "maintenance doses" every fill up, and that's where the STP Gas Treatment wins....now granted; it may be more economical to use TCW-3 (at 1 oz. per 5 gallons of fuel), MMO (at 1-2 oz. per 5 gallons).....given that a "one time" dose of STP Gas Treatment is $1.68; a quart of MMO can be gotten for a little over $3 and can treat at least 4 - 10 gallon tanks (it's early, hope my math is right lol), or even TCW-3...where a jug of SuperTech is like $9-12 and can well.....I don't even know the math there lol....but you get a gallon of TCW-3.....and only use 1 oz. per 5 gallons, there's 128 oz. in a gallon.....so that's a lot of fill ups, at 1 oz. per 5 gallons
smile.gif

When I hear people saying they do or will run Techron/Regane/Si-1 EVERY 3K miles it kind of worries me. Thats a lot of cleaning for what todays gasolines already contain.

What I do is every April, after the spring thaw, I run 16oz of Chevron Techron with 16Gallons of gas all the way empty. Then when refilling I put my 6.5oz of Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank and away I go. The first time I used Techron I could literally feel and hear the difference in the motor, now I notice nothing. From my regiment of MMO constantly working to deter the effects of ethanol and build up of deposits and hitting the tank with one strong dose of Techron each year I have had nothing but a clean system...hopefully...

Do you use 2 of the 8oz bottles or 4 of the 4oz bottles or just one of the 16 oz bottles? This just doesn't sound like I got it right.

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you use 2 of the 8oz bottles or 4 of the 4oz bottles or just one of the 16 oz bottles? This just doesn't sound like I got it right.
What bottles are you referring to? In my locale, I've only seen STP Gas Treatment (the red bottle) in a 5.25 awkward shaped (likely patented by STP...lol) bottle, and interestingly enough, the "Lucas UCL" single dose bottles are 5.25 oz. as well
wink.gif

Never seen a 4 oz. or 8 oz. bottles....at least not RECENTLY
smile.gif
I know couple years ago, many of the FIC company's (to include STP, and Prestone.....primarily...) went on this "2x Concentrated!" bandwagon, and "cut down" the size(s) of some of their products/bottles, and claim to be the same dosing....similar to that of the prior "2x Concentrate" move by laundry detergent companies
wink.gif
Less water - more detergents...in the case of fuel injector cleaners, less KEROSENE, more detergents...since AFAIK Kerosene is simply the "carrier agent" for many of the cleaners....

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
...in the case of fuel injector cleaners, less KEROSENE, more detergents...since AFAIK Kerosene is simply the "carrier agent" for many of the cleaners...

They probably never really needed that much kerosene to carry the cleaners. And the only reason for reducing the kerosene was to cut costs.

Hello everyone,

I bought recently an STP injector cleaner and I am not sure about the quantity of the stuff I should pour in the tank.

The bottle is 200 ml and looks like this: http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/311065?$pd_enlarge$

There is absolutely no information on the bottle into how much liters of fuel I should pour this in. Since my fuel tank is quite small (40 liters) I wonder, will I damage anything is I put it in high concentration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: renegade_987

Plcebo ? (STP has No PEA)

IMO....You'll get much better results from either Techron, Regane or Redline Si-1 (my favorite).
Totally agree.....I've been using Gumout Regane All-in-One every 4 to 5K. It really makes a difference

Of course it will cost a little more than STP....but you always pay for quality.....

Totally agree.....I've been using Gumout Regane All-in-One, every 4K to 5K....and I feel it really makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back