Castrol GTX shelf life and MMO question..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a pretty good deal on some Castrol GTX, 12 dollars for a 5quart jug, but the oil jug is slightly older than the most current one, it has up to GL-4 which started in 2004 on the back, but GL-5 is out. any way to tell how old it is by the jug markings? is it still good to use??

here's pictures of the labels
front: http://imageshack.us/f/685/20110627184953448.jpg/
back: http://imageshack.us/f/705/20110627184959289.jpg/

And I keep adding a little MMO to my oil sump every 30 miles, because it seems to be burning off at a high rate, if I don't add more and just let it go the oil doesn't drop at any notable rate, but if I add 1/4 a quart of MMO and drive 20 or so miles check again, its back to the mark before I put it in?? so that leads me to the question does MMO burn off??

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I found a pretty good deal on some Castrol GTX, 12 dollars for a 5quart jug, but the oil jug is slightly older than the most current one, it has up to GL-4 which started in 2004 on the back, but GL-5 is out. any way to tell how old it is by the jug markings? is it still good to use??

here's pictures of the labels
front: http://imageshack.us/f/685/20110627184953448.jpg/
back: http://imageshack.us/f/705/20110627184959289.jpg/

And I keep adding a little MMO to my oil sump every 30 miles, because it seems to be burning off at a high rate, if I don't add more and just let it go the oil doesn't drop at any notable rate, but if I add 1/4 a quart of MMO and drive 20 or so miles check again, its back to the mark before I put it in?? so that leads me to the question does MMO burn off??

mmo is 30% solvents and 65% 5wt oil. yes it will burn off easier than heavy oil.

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

You can determine the date of manufacture by locating the fill code on the bottom of the back panel.
It is composed of a series of letters and numbers, with the first five characters being the most important.

For example, if you have M04023...., the "M" would represent the plant location.
The five digits '04023' represent the date of production.
The number 04 represents the last digit of the year (2004) and the '023' represents the day of the year, based on 365 calendar days, on which it was produced (January 23).

Therefore Lot# M040236ATW2418346 16:38
was manufactured on January 23rd of 2004."

Originally Posted By: bodeh6

You can determine the date of manufacture by locating the fill code on the bottom of the back panel.
It is composed of a series of letters and numbers, with the first five characters being the most important.

For example, if you have M04023...., the "M" would represent the plant location.
The number 04 represents the last digit of the year (2004) and the '023' represents the day of the year, based on 365 calendar days, on which it was produced (January 23).

Mine say Y10167 6 0755 HM

So June 16th 2010 is when they were made? so I am guessing I am in the clear and good to go... I might have to go buy up the last 5 jugs at that price...

Did Castrol change the formula to meet GL-5? or is it the same thing in my older bottles just no cert stamp because it was made before GL-5 came out?

And my Honda has always burnt some oil, about 1 quart per 3k, but now that you say it did seem that each time I added more MMO the oil level was a tad bit higher on the same surface I always check on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: bodeh6

This must be one of the most asked questions of all time.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...006#Post2299006

Why don't the mods sticky one of these treads?

Last edited:
No I read that, trust me I searched for what I asked, I know its "about 5 years," but I was asking how to know how old it was by looking at the jug not just the shelf life of it.

But is the MMO doing any good in my engine if its burning off so quickly, and is it affecting the weight of my 5w30 in the long run??

Last edited by a moderator:
^If you are having to add a lot of oil over time(associated with MMO usage or not), at such a high rate, IMO you'd be better of pre-mixing oil with some MMO as your top-up. This will hlep during the particular oil change that you are using MMO, are your plans to use it long-term/when did you start using MMO in this application?

Originally Posted By: Brenden
But is the MMO doing any good in my engine if its burning off so quickly,

No, but if it makes you feel good thats all that counts!

I just used some GTX "Drive Hard" 10W40 from '03. It's perfectly fine.

I've never had any burn off when using MMO, but I'm sure some will, given what it's made of and the low viscosity. I typically use it in winter to thin down whatever oil is in the Jeeps I don't drive often.

I've used AutoRX with good results. The carrier oil (IIRC) is a 10w30.

In my vehicles I've noticed when I add the pint (half quart) to my 4 qt sump with new oil, about 1000-2000 miles into my OCI, my oil level will be low.....

My current OCI, I did not add ANY MMO, only 6 oz. of Seafoam (1.5 oz. per quart....) and 2125 miles into my OCI, my oil level still looks fine.....

I have a theory that as MMO does it's work of breaking up the carbon/varnish in the engine, it suspends most of the built up "gunk" (be it sludge, varnish, carbon, deposits) within the motor oil.....to be drained out at the next scheduled oil change...but some of the oil does get "burned off" - resulting in the low oil level overtime when MMO is used in the oil.

Kind of makes sense.....MMO is designed to burn, since it's primary use appears to be 1-4 oz. per 10 gallons of fuel...so it is designed to burn. I'm guessing with each stroke of the piston(s), some of the MMO coating the pistons, and the rings, must "burn off" over time...at least that's my personal hypothesis during my typical MMO use at 1 pint per my 4.5 (to bring me to the 5 qt. capacity).

No, my car is not leaking any oil....

Everything has been fairly consistent as far as "variables" over time between oil changes. The oil used has primarily been Pennzoil yellow bottle or Pennzoil "bulk" of some sort, using either FRAM TG3614 or the "Mighty" M3614....latest oil change was done at the Dodge dealer with an unknown Mopar filter....but as mentioned; no consumption thus far this OCI....and that's without the MMO; I did add Seafoam though....the oil does look "darker" than normal. Usually even with the 1 pint of MMO in the crankcase, the oil level is very hard to see on the dipstick.....but with the Seafoam in crankcase vs. the MMO, the oil seems to be a tad more "golden" and easier to see.

I got a call back from Castrol, the shelf life of their oil is about 3 years. looks like I'm in the clear on the age of it, now time to go buy more
wink.gif

The shelf life of any oil, even Castrol, is well beyond three years.
Right now, I'm cleaning out the stash.
The '99 Accord is on 2004 vintage Syntec, the older 'roo and the '97 Accord are on 2005 vintage PP, and the lawnmower I just abused today is on 2005 vintage GTX.
Relax, oil in a sealed container will remain useable for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back