recording of abnormal noiseToyota 2GR-FE engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO...Maybe you need some upper cylinder lube. IMO...That might be causing the knocking that you seem to hear. Sounds to me like a normal Toyota engine that you have there but it might be worthwhile to try some UCL to see if it quiets it down. If there is too much ethanol in the gasoline, that would surely not help.

I have a full dose of Lucas UCL and premium gas in it already. No difference. Unfortunately, the knock is very faint in this video. I will rerecord it tomorrow (need cold start).

OEM filter and Toyota oil (5W20). I'm glad you mentioned that. The problem started a few months ago roughly after Toyota filled it with 5W20 (should be 5W30). But, I thickened it up with SLOB recently and no difference now.

This may sound a lil off-beat,but if your car isn`t under warranty,drain your existing fill and re-fill with either Pennzoil yb 5W30 or Valvoline 5W30 and a Wix oil filter and see if it fixes it up :^)

I don't think the video comes across with the same effect as what you hear and feel driving it.
5w30 for a start, and then 6.4 quarts to the top line of the dipstick, only other item that comes to my mind is the coolant level. A little low and engine sound gets more pronounced.

Very similar to my 06 Avalon,28,000 miles OCI every 6 months and nothing but Toyota filters and PP 10-30. I know it calls for 5-30 so no need to tellme.

I'm not sure if you meant that you have a similar abnormal noise or you consider it normal. The reason I refer to this as abnormal is that it wasn't there 1000 miles ago and it gradually appeared.

After thinking about it more, it could be carbon knock. I pulled plugs and pistons are well covered with carbon and the car saw lots of short trip and city lately.

I guess there is one way to know for sure: water decarb. I will do it closer toward the end of OCI (i have only 1400 miles into this OCI).

You could also start a regimen of using some TC-W3 in your gasoline. That will lube your upper cylinder and clean it at the same time. It will burn off clean so you won't have deposits. Just start out reading the fuel additive section to get a feel for the right mix and add it to your gas at each fill up. I've been using it for almost 2 years, every fill up, Winter, Summer, Spring and Fall and have a smooth acceleration and no knocks from the Ethanol in the gasoline. It takes some time to find the right mix for your vehicle....less is better than more...in the case of TC-W3.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Great minds think alike as I have done it already and no change so far. This will be a great experiment to show if TCW3 in gas cleans carbon.

First off change the dealer oil including another oem filter. Use high quality oil 5W-30 before any other action is taken. A problem that shows up all of the sudden can hardly be due to deposits at such low miles. Or just take the car to the dealer and tell them you have had the noise since last oil change see what they say.

I doubt it has anything to do with 5w20 vs 5w30. Bitog is bound to think it has something (everything) to do with the oil.

Just to eliminate that possibility, i would take CaspianM's advice and insist that they put 5w30 in. Make sure that they don't just drain and fill and that they put a new filter on too.

Just an FYI, toyota's official charts say that 5w30, 5w20, and ow20 are all acceptable oils for that engine (2GR-FE)
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2144765&page=1

After you get all that sorted out, if there's still some noise/rattles, i'm inclined to think that the valves are out of adjustment. It's not very common to see that at such a low mileage, but it does happen.

Youtube recommended this video after I watched yours: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGYlO_peq1Q

Same engine and it sounds to me like the same sound only heard from the front of the car with the hood open.

This is the ultimate summation of that video:

"We have a 2010 Sienna where I work with a 3.5 engine and only 32000 KM. It has a bad piston knock when cold that doesn't totally go away when the engine is warm. This looks like a common problem with this engine. The main problem is that Toyota is hesitant to correct the problem, it needs an engine or a set of pistons.
benjaminwayneb 2 months ago

@benjaminwayneb

That's right and it's exactly what ours got, a brand new short block. The Toyota shop foreman told me part of the problem is that the engine parts are coming from different suppliers and some of the parts aren't always in spec, but still get used. It's a very sad thing for a TOYOTA.

vela07 2 months ago"

vela07 being the person that posted the video.

Also:

"Update is no more tapping! They installed a new shortblock assembly at 80k miles under warranty. Luckily I bought the Toyota Extra Care 100k platinum warranty or I would've got screwed by Toyota since they didn't stand up and fix the problem when it was under factory warranty. That is all.

R-
vela07 3 months ago"

Not sure if yours is the same issue but I would definitely take it to the dealer to get them involved asap. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: cmf

Not sure if yours is the same issue but I would definitely take it to the dealer to get them involved asap. Hope this helps.

I saw that video and the difference is the other guy had it knocking while idling, mine only knocks under load.

I got dealership involved of course as I still had warranty when it first surfaced. I also registered my case with Corporate Toyota. They all agreed there was noise, but they all call it "normal". But, I have it registered in case TSB surfaces later.

I plan to run TCW3 with combustion cleaners in a few tanks, follow it up with water carbon cleaning (in needed) and change filter/oil to GC 0W30. I'll keep you posted.

That TSB is for idle tapping/knocking noise combined with MIL light and has to do with a defect with VVT-i. So far it doesn't match my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back