fuel treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to add some fuel system cleaner to my system in my vq35 powered sentra, i been having a misfire on cylinder 2 and we replaced the plug and coil and o2 sensors both banks. and we recently pulled the plugs on cylinder 2 and 4 to compare and 2 was white (very lean). Probable injector on cylinder 2 what do you guys recommend for a really potent fuel system cleaner? I tried seafoam and Chevron Techron and Gumout Regane in the past on other cars.

Berryman's B-12 CHEMTOOL- with a long funnel, I like the little red "long" Flo-Tool ATF funnel, not the extremely large one though.....just big enough that the funnel actually fits into the tank. You don't want the stuff spilling on the side of your car...and the can has an awkard "bubble" shape to it, but it works great.

I typically use 1 can every oil change.....

Is the B-12 Chemtool SAFE? like the other's. No i haven't used the Redline Fuel System Cleaner how is it? I used their gear oil MT90 and it is great in the nissan gearbox.

ALRIGHT GUYS, i went to my favorite store AAP and found one lone can of Lubromoly Jectron Fuel System Cleaner and i said what the heck it was 7 dollars and change with tax. I go out to the car full tank, open the bottle pour it in drive it 10-12 miles and the results are great such a smooth idle and it pulls like a freight train, (not going to get my hopes up) but it is much better Lubromoly FTW!!

Originally Posted By: Grambo
ALRIGHT GUYS, i went to my favorite store AAP and found one lone can of Lubromoly Jectron Fuel System Cleaner and i said what the heck it was 7 dollars and change with tax. I go out to the car full tank, open the bottle pour it in drive it 10-12 miles and the results are great such a smooth idle and it pulls like a freight train, (not going to get my hopes up) but it is much better Lubromoly FTW!!

hmmmmm. 10-12 miles???

If your really into the whole performance scene (I assume you are) why not just replace all plugs, coils, and injectors? Yea, it's pricey, but not as much as what you already have been doing (motor swaps)

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
If you want cheap try STP gas treatment or fuel system cleaner @ Walmart
STP Gas Treatment doesn't have much detergency to it...it may have been good in the "old days" of 100% gasoline, but these days with the dry corn fuel they are given us, what the fuel really needs is "lubrication" - Ethanol in itself is actually a pretty good "injection cleaner" in itself believe it or not
wink.gif
It's very high octane, but they have to "buffer it" to meet the AKI grades at the pump with "real" gasoline and other additives...so that that, I'd say MMO or TCW-3 would be your best bet....Seafoam isn't all that bad either...but some scoff at it in the fuel, since it does contain Isopropnaol, which is basically 100% Rubbing Alcohol...but yes, it still does have it's uses today in the crankcase, oil, and lesser extent in the fuel, since it does have lubrication properties to it....

Is the B-12 Chemtool SAFE?
Safe for your fuel tank? Yes indeed....or it wouldn't be on the shelves as a Fuel System Cleaner.....now if you're asking safe for your paint? LOL, no it's not
wink.gif
But no, I don't see too many people with additive stains down their fuel door area
wink.gif
Just becareful with it, you want to "go light" if possible.....if you don;t have at least a 15 gallon tank (a lot of these new fuel efficient cars only got 9-11 gallon tanks....) I'd only add half a bottle or so....then at your next fill up, add the remainder.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
LOLz 10 - 12 miles ???

My First Cup o Coffee doesn't work that quick.

Anymore info/updates?

Thanks, Jim

10-12 miles may not be that "laughable
wink.gif
I had Chevron Techron Concentrate "trip" a CEL almost a mile or so down the road after adding it to the fuel tank
wink.gif
And no, the gas cap was not loose or damaged
wink.gif
The next morning when I did the "italian tune up" on the highway from the acceleration lane to merge into traffic the CEL Went out
wink.gif

My guess, carbon must have passed through the o2 sensor?
smile.gif

Last edited:
The only time I'd use B-12 Chemtool in my fuel; at least on an old vehicle that I didn't maintain cleanliness...would be to try to help a near blocked injector to avoid pulling them for manual cleaning; for example. I'd fear it being 'too' aggressive and getting lot's of gunk loose. I'd be prepared for potentially replacing the fuel filter and having to deal with an injector getting clogged.

well it turns out that cylinder number 2 injector is bad i am going to order a new one tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

hmmmmm. 10-12 miles???

If your really into the whole performance scene (I assume you are) why not just replace all plugs, coils, and injectors? Yea, it's pricey, but not as much as what you already have been doing (motor swaps)

I just don't throw parts at a problem which i haven't diagnosed yet, i replaced the coil and plug on cylinder number 2. The plug was pulled and it was white meaning a lean condition. to verify it wasnt the coil we swapped cyl 2 coil and plug with cyl 4 coil and plug, and what do you know the friendly service engine soon light came on. P0302 Cylinder Number 2 Misfire. So to get to the point i try to gather evidence rather then waste money throwing parts at the problem that wont solve it.

I had a similar situation on my '96 windstar......cylinder #2 injector.
However, Berryman's B-12 Chemtool (disussed above) cleaned it up.
It was the ONLY cleaner of MANY that I tried over the years that would clean up the injectors on that vehicle.
It is one of the cheapest cleaners out there, but it really works.

It is worth a try, if you have the patience, over the cost and time in replacing the injector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back