Selling an oil burner -- disclose or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If trading the car in, I wouldn't say a thing. The dealer isn't going to disclose it to the new owner (assuming they don't just send the car to auction). All they will do is use it as a reason to give you less on trade.

With a private sale, I'd definitely let them know. My old truck used just a little bit of oil during an OCI, but I still let the new owner know. He didn't mind.

Originally Posted By: vtb
Would you "disclose" if it needed brake pads in the next 2000 miles? If the tires needed replacing in 5000 miles?

Yes, I would tell a buyer if a car I'm selling needs brakes, tires, etc. Using a qt every 2000 miles is not considered abnormal, and I would only disclose if asked.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
1 qt. in 2000 miles is nothing.

I agree. Used car purchase, buy with caution. If they ask, tell. If they don't, they will find out in time.

Locally oil burning is only disclosed if it's making visible smoke, IOW, a motivating factor to get rid of something. We have state safety inspections and sellers do attempt (poorly) to mention what would be needed to be legal. This parallels dealers who have to fix cars up to the legal standard. Buyers are blind thinking legally safe is the end-all be-all in mechanical condition. I guess your car would thrill the folks around here with tread on the tires and tight ball joints.
wink.gif

I disclose if asked. Was asked once, selling a saturn, and I replied "it's a saturn; they all do" and the buyer liked that.

If you are going to disclose it at least wait for the shopper to show up in person; don't spill all your beans in the ad.

If you choose to not disclose and want to sleep nights, make sure the owners manual is in the glove box. It instructs the proper care and feeding of the vehicle. Pretty much any contingency is covered by that little book.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I only disclose if the buyer asks. That's why it helps being a BITOG member, Haha.

This is what keeps you legal. The underlying concept in commerce is caveat emptor.

But for good karma you might want to mention that even though it burns a quart in 2k miles, it's still within the manufacturer specs. To make sure that the new buyer does not run out of oil. It might actually help the sale.

Is the PCV valve working perfectly?

Are you using Synthetic oil, high-mileage oil... Are you using the mfr reco on weight?

What kind of car are we talking about. If you have a 100k anything, this usage is not an issue. But if we are talking about, say, a 20,000 mile Honda Accord 4-banger, that oil consumption is a problem.

Good luck

I have to agree with the general consensus of telling a private party, don't bother with a trade in (since the end user/buyer will never get that information).

My V70R drank 1 qt per 2.5-3K, and I made sure to explain that to the guy who bought it so he didn't run low on his drive home! He flew from SoCal to Seattle to pick it up. This was well within spec, and lower than many R's, and it consumed the same amount since new. I was the second owner, and the first owner made sure to tell me the same thing.

Some oil consumption isn't a bad thing; all else being equal, an engine that consumes a small amount of oil ends up having slightly less wear, at least according to the published literature on the subject. Plus, you get to refresh the add pack/TBN of the oil. This is feature, not a bug!

I have never met a potential buyer who did not ask "any thing wrong with this car?" So yes you should disclose whatever is wrong to the best of knowledge. I always have anyway.
I sold my wife 97 v6 camry last year at about 125k miles and told them the car needed timing belt, plugs and there was small leak behind the engine valve cover that could not be seen unless from under. Just do the right thing.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
I have never met a potential buyer who did not ask "any thing wrong with this car?" So yes you should disclose whatever is wrong to the best of knowledge.

Whenever anyone asks me that question, I start of by saying "Yes, its not in your name yet", as that almost always gets a chuckle or a laugh.

What I would do is say that "I always change the oil every 3k miles, and usually have to add a quart of oil just before the oil change."

That indicates that you keep an eye on the oil level, know that it gets low, and that you do more frequent oil changes to keep from ever running low. That answers the question without actually stating how much oil it burns in xxxx amount of miles.

You never want to actually spell out how much oil it burns in a certain number of miles, as that has a negative connotation. You don't want a buyer to be thinking negative thoughts about the vehicle you're trying to sell to them.

BC.

The owner's manual already tells you to check the oil on a regular basis.

I would, as a used car buyer, not need to be told that the car needs to have it's oil checked on a regular basis.

I would assume that it did and go from there.

Originally Posted By: Radman
If I traded in the car I would figure the dealership mechanics would be competent enough to find any anomalies. Therefore I wouldn't bother disclosing to a dealership. If I were selling to an individual I would provide all records and disclose everything I knew about the vehicle. After all the dealership doesn't tell the pre-owned buyers anything about vehicles that the previous owner disclosed so why waste your breath?

I agree with that.

If I were a private buyer, all things being equal, I would rather buy a car from somebody who disclosed the oil burning than from somebody with an equivalent vehicle and had wishy-washy statements in regards to its maintenance history.

The new buyer is going to find out within 2000 miles anyway. If they think its a "no maintenance" car, they'll find out when they seize an engine, and then they'll be REALLY mad. Tell them exactly what it does and that its done it since new. Honesty is far better than a lie of omission, and I'd rather buy a car if the seller is honest enough to tell me how often he needs to add oil.

I also look at it another way- I don't want a car that's served me well for many years to die a premature death. I want the next owner to understand what it needs and to take care of it.

i can see either side. on one hand it is normal limits, on the other hand my sister would seize the motor from not checking the oil. but what you have to understand is my sister has no business buying a used car, just like alot of used car buyers.

you can't get a more basic life skill than checking the oil! just as important as doing your laundry weekly! mike

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: chad8
Most people don't even know where the filler cap is let alone know about oil burning. If it bothers you then tell them the truth if they ask. That is the second question I taught my kids to ask besides if it has had an accident.
You are under no obligation to disclose anything.
Why don't you take it to a local auction house where it is up to the buyer to check the vehicles condition.
done deal.

Three points in response:

1. I would like to live in a world in which people are open and forthcoming about this kind of thing, and I think most people would agree with me. The "Golden Rule" (or whatever you want to call it) naturally follows from that.

2. Coming clean about this kind of thing fits quite naturally with giving the buyer the impression that you have his/her best interests in mind. That's good salesmanship.

3. In all business dealings, it generally is best to minimize any possibility of ill will. You never know what someone might be worth to you in the future.

In other words, any way you look at it, you have something to gain from being honest. Hiding things just runs unnecessary risks for dubious short-term gains.

+1 for dOOdfOOd.....shows me your a man with ethics (i.e. "do unto others...") Hope you keep that attitude the rest of your life.

Unfortunatly....many of the answers above want to be partially ethical.
The question to consider in making an ethical decision is; would I want someone selling me a vehicle (be it a private party or a car company trade-in), disclose the truth regarding any defect in the vehicle?

As a former Realtor (now retired), the party selling their home has to fill out a multiple page disclosure form stating any and all isues and problems with their home as well as when certain improvements were made (like a new roof or repair on a heating system)....and this would be made available to all potential purchasers. Possibly....a disclosure form should be made a legal requirement..... for all vehicles being sold (just a thought... to help keep every seller honest.

I am with the other posters as far as full disclosure in a private party sale, and with the dealer sale not saying a thing.

Chances are someone that has a new family on the way or a young adult will be buying this used car. Would you want to pay for a new engine when trying to finance a new house, buy diapers, pay for college, etc.?

How much disclosure do you want to make? What if you had a flat and "might have driven on the rim"? What if you ran out of gas once and might have shortened the life of the fuel pump? What if you used a fram filter? Lost a gum wrapper in the door channel?

This is the question being posed. It's easy to outdo one another in morality in an internet argument. The OP has seen the spectrum of answers, some of which chide with/ define his inner morality more than others.

The comparison to houses is slightly flawed; yes both are big ticket purchases but houses hold their value while vehicles depreciate, wear out, and become obsolete.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
How much disclosure do you want to make? What if you had a flat and "might have driven on the rim"? What if you ran out of gas once and might have shortened the life of the fuel pump? What if you used a fram filter? Lost a gum wrapper in the door channel?

This is the question being posed. It's easy to outdo one another in morality in an internet argument. The OP has seen the spectrum of answers, some of which chide with/ define his inner morality more than others.

The comparison to houses is slightly flawed; yes both are big ticket purchases but houses hold their value while vehicles depreciate, wear out, and become obsolete.

Those are things that couldn't possibly know about the car... He knows without a shadow of a doubt that it consumes oil. The wheel issue or fuel pump scenario, well if they made noise or their was visible damage he should tell them.

Tell a private party, just so they know to check the oil every month or so at least.
Don't bother telling a dealer, since they won't pass the information on to the retail buyer anyway.
If I were the buyer, I'd want to know, and as a seller, I'd give the information to the buyer as one of the things they need to know to allow the car to last in service for them.

Of course I would tell a potential buyer if they asked, and like I said in the OP I'd probably mention it even if they didn't because this model isn't necessarily known for oil consumption (it's a 2007 Civic with 70k miles).

Thinking about it more, it's more likely I'd trade the car in just for less hassle dealing with phone calls. It's been a while since I've sold a car and the memories are flooding back
smile.gif

2k miles per quart is an oil burner? Man you guys must have never driven real beaters. That's nothing, some new cars do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back