Mobil 1 5w-50 // 2,250 miles // Porsche Cayman S

Status
Not open for further replies.
UOA performed by Blackstone Labs has been copied below. Oil filter was MANN brand (OE replacement). A link to my VOA for this same oil can be found here ( LINK )

The purpose of performing a UOA on this oil was to determine whether or not it was "safe" to go more than one track event on the same oil. During the 2,250 mile interval (1/3qt make up), the car saw appx. 550 miles under track conditions at Watkins Glen (2 days) and Mid-Ohio (3 days). As you can see, the oil held up very well.

Previously, I used M1 0w-40 and changed the oil after every event because I didn't know any better. Subjectively, the M1 0w-40 would consistently produce a cloud of smoke after starting the vehicle following a track session. The 5w-50 cured that. I would also require about 0.5-1.0qt of make-up oil during the course of a 2 day track event with M1 0w-40. With the M1 5w-50 I only added 1/3qt over the course of 5 total days on the track.

Overall I'm very happy with the performance of the oil. I don't get the puff of smoke when I start the car after a track session. I don't use oil. The oil stayed in grade, and it looks like I could easily go to a once a year OCI, which would mean about 5-6k miles with 500-750 miles under track conditions.

I welcome any thoughts or feedback. Also, in case anyone asks, I purchased the Mobil 1 5w-50 from AV Lube ( LINK ) for under $40/case (plus tax & shipping).

========================

Blackstone Comments: Universal averages show typical wear levels for this Porsche engine after about 3,100 miles on the oil. You ran the oil 2,250 miles and wear metals read at or better than those averages. The insolubles were low showing the oil filter is doing a good job keeping the oil clean. There were no harmful contaminants (water, antifreeze, or fuel) found in this used oil. The TBN read strong at 11.1 showing lots of active additive left. Racing the engine puts more stress on it, but so far this engine looks good. Check back to establish wear trends.

My Results / (Universal Avg)

Aluminum 4 / (5)
Chromium 1 / (1)
Iron 9 / (11)
Copper 5 / (11)
Lead 0 / (9)
Tin 3 / (1)
Molybdenum 73/ (66) (Note; VOA shows 99 moly)
Nickel, Manganese, Silver, Titanium = 0
Potassium 1 / (2)
Boron 175/ (60)
Silicon 4 / (15)
Sodium 5 / (10)
Calcium 2579 / (2268)
Magnesium 12 / (138)
Phosphorus 776 / (863)
Zinc 892 / (1028)

SUS Visc. @ 210(F) = 75.7 / (70-86)
cSt Visc. @ 100(C) = 14.43/ (12.9-17.3)
Flaspoint = 405(F) / (>390)
TBN = 11.1

Originally Posted By: Matt_N
...The oil stayed in grade...

cSt Visc. @ 100(C) = 14.43

?

The oil did not stay in grade. It sheared from a 50 (17.28) to a 40 (14.43).

Thanks for pointing that out; I assumed since it was within the range that was specified on the UOA, that it was "in grade".

I reviewed the viscosity chart link from the homepage and see that it did shear to a 40wt.

20% loss of viscosity within 2,500 miles. I guess Porsche is ok with that?

Doug Hillary said recently that the Mobil lab in Oz only tests viscosity @ 40C. I wonder why?

Changing oil so often, it would be hard to resist Mobil 1 High Miles 10w-40. I think you would see similar performance, maybe better. Also, Syntec 5w-50 or SynPower 20w-50 are other options.

I know it's rude to just suggest other oils after your UOA. Sorry about that. I just don't think the mail-order cycle and cost is a necessity. There is also Valvoline Racing Synthetic 20w-50 that's widely available, like AutoZone.

For now, I'd prefer to stay with oils that are approved in the latest Porsche TSB. My warranty is up in 06/2011; I might think about making a change then. I've got enough 5w-50 to get me through another oil change before then.

The other oil I was considering was Redline 5w-50; higher HT/HS than M1 5w-50, and I'm guessing quite a bit more Moly. I have the fortune (or, misfortune depending on if you're asking me or my wife) of living near Summit Racing Equipment; so it's easy to get my hands on Redline fluids of any type.

There you go! Redline does have a higher HT/HS for it's +100c visc than other oils. To me, that's the hallmark of a good oil. Like how German Syntec at 12cSt makes the same HT/HS as Mobil 1 0w-40 does with 14cSt.

So, in effect if you go with Redline, you can "drop" a grade to 5w-40 or 10w-40. I know the Redline SAE 40 is used by Realtime Racing. That's a serious oil.

Agree, no need for a 50 weight in redline on a street car that is liquid cooled - unless you are doing top speed runs on a track
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Also, Syntec 5w-50 or SynPower 20w-50 are other options.

Syntec 5W50 will perform similar to the M1 5W50, but M1 looks like it has the better additive package.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Matt_N
For now, I'd prefer to stay with oils that are approved in the latest Porsche TSB. My warranty is up in 06/2011;............

doesn't track racing already jeopardize your warranty?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
doesn't track racing already jeopardize your warranty?

It isn't racing, it's a high performance driving school event. These events are sanctioned by the Porsche Club of America. As long as I don't have an issue on the track, there won't be an issue with a warranty claim.

I'm excited to see this!

I think it's great to reuse the oil, but how sure can you be that straining/filtering the oil would effective to pour into your BMW?

The puff of smoke is probably valve stem seals the heavier oil doesn't get by It is a common problem with supras and many switch to a heavier oil and report it stops smoking on start up. Stem seals are pretty easy to change for most diy'ers might want to check cayman forums and find out more info about stem seal problems and how easy or hard it is to fix.

Sorry. for being of topic I was reading bc I am thinking of switching from mainly M1 10w30 most recently RP 10w30 to one of the heavier M1 oil either 0w40, 5w50' or 15w 50 this is in a 600hp supra that is mainly street driven with occasional road course days any opinions or advise would be great..

TIA,
Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back