Alignment cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My step-sister needs her '95 Explorer aligned and BigO tire wants $80. Does this sound reasonable? I have never shopped for an alignment job before...

It all depends on what they adjust. Some places will advertise an alignment for 49.95 and only adjust the tow. Whereas other places may charge 99.95 for camber, caster and toe.

Around here that is right on target.

Ask for a recommendation of shop, in my area even techs who have an alignment machine at their own workplace send their personal cars to a single shop that is well known for it. They charge $80.

$80 seems about right....but if possible watch them. I've heard of some shops only adjusting certain aspects....they'll only align the one side that looks "off" to make it "even" with the other side for example.

$80 is about the price around here....

You aughta figure out what's causing the alignment problem though....generally it's suspension related....shocks, struts, etc...most places will include an alignment when you have the suspension replaced (shocks, struts, etc...) getting it "re aligned" would simply be a band-aid...

BTW, +1 on the "Lifetime Alignment"
smile.gif
Not a bad idea really....IF it's for the "life" of the vehicle, and not just "life of the tires".....hehe. Read the fine print
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
It all depends on what they adjust. Some places will advertise an alignment for 49.95 and only adjust the tow. Whereas other places may charge 99.95 for camber, caster and toe.

Right. Most are toe only, and maybe straighten the steering wheel to be on center. Many cars are not adjustable [or very difficult] to adjust the camber and caster.

Get a print out front and back of the exact readings.

An Alignment to me is adjusting all readings to Factory Spec, not within spec, but right on the spec.

Now for the Better Shops that is not a problem. They can go even further and customize your alignment setup based on your needs. IE: Better than OEM.

Quick Story, I was once calibrating an aligner at one of the National Tire Stores, you know the... We Can't Fix Anything Shops. In the course of my calibration, they continued to use the aligner in the next bay over. All of a sudden, I hear the Tech hollering... PUSH PRINT, PUSH PRINT. I looked over to find his hands on the front wheel aligner clamp, Bringing the readings into the green. Well the customer really got his moneys worth that day.

As I have said before, Seek out a shop that does only alignments. They are out there, and worth every penny.

Jim

Lifetime alignments are fine, that is if you trust the shop to actually put the car on the machine after the first one since it is a money loser from that point on. I HAVE HAD TERRIBLE LUCK WITH LIFETIME ANYTHING. I agree with finding a reputable independent shop that honors its work. These chains are useless IMO!

Last edited:
I paid 65 bucks for a 4 wheel alignment at the Ford dealer..As much as I HATE the stearlership they do give the best alignments..BTW since the Ford dealer matches the Costco price for tires I generally get my tires there as well.

Originally Posted By: cmf
I paid $80 + $6 material fee + tax. They adjusted toe, camber, and caster.

What materials are used in the alignment? I ask because I did alignments for a couple years and beyond some PB Blaster and WD40 I didn't use any materials. If we are talking about full contact shims or camber kits then that's a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back