Honda versamow mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, My 5 year old Honda HRR216SDA has developed a slipping transmission (apparently common on this level). I replaced the belt, but it still slips as the transmission heats up. The belt is nice and tight. The replacement trans is about $200, which is more than the mower is worth.

Anyhow...How does the Honda mowers with the Hydro trans hold up? Does anyone have one that is a few years old? Hows it working? I am looking at model HRX217K2HXA. It has the versamow and hydro trans with the 190 vs the 160 engine. I have a half acre with oaks so the versamow system caught my eye. I want to avoid another Honda with a transmission issue. I don't want to drop $700 only to have it start slipping in another 5 years.

I know you were asking for Honda opinions, but I'll just throw this out there.

I have an MTD self propelled (simple one speed system) which has been bulletproof for 20 years. Original belt, starts on first pull every time, etc.

On my recommendation, my uncle purchased a Toro personal-pace mower about 4 years ago, and it's been great so far. The range of speeds is perfect, you can speed-walk if you want or creep along. Rear wheel drive helps it lose no steam up hills and maneuver well.

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
Hi, My 5 year old Honda HRR216SDA has developed a slipping transmission (apparently common on this level). I replaced the belt, but it still slips as the transmission heats up. The belt is nice and tight. The replacement trans is about $200, which is more than the mower is worth.

Anyhow...How does the Honda mowers with the Hydro trans hold up? Does anyone have one that is a few years old? Hows it working? I am looking at model HRX217K2HXA. It has the versamow and hydro trans with the 190 vs the 160 engine. I have a half acre with oaks so the versamow system caught my eye. I want to avoid another Honda with a transmission issue. I don't want to drop $700 only to have it start slipping in another 5 years.

I don't think you'll have the transmission issues in the HRX that you see in the HRR. If I recall, the HRR is the basic steel deck model sold at Home Depot and the transmissions in those really aren't that solid. That said, if it's slipping (rather than just "out"), you may be able to tighten the transmission up internally. They sometimes have small clutch plates internally.

Honda's hydro transmissions, to my knowledge, are pretty durable. Especially with the light weight of the resin deck on that HRX, I wouldn't be predicting another transmission failure for you in the near future.

Hey jeep nut you dont need a trans you need two 1 dollar axle bushings and some grease. bet your unit wont roll backward very well. Try to roll a rear wheel backwards. the friction your feeling is what your trans is having to push through causing the extra heat. you have to remove the pivot arms and clean the axle with emery cloth, knock out the bushings pop the new ones in, grease em up and reassy. Might take the novice 2 hrs tops.
bushing part number 44327-vg3-b00.

Yea it doesn't like to pull backwards, but rolls forward fine (with clicking). When I replaced the belt, I took the rear wheels off and greased the small gear along with the gear on the inside of the wheel. I will have to disassemble the rears again and see if some grease will help. I just don't want to start throwing money at this thing in vain.

The Toro 20338 is another on my short list. I much prefer the standard self propel over the personal pace.

It rolls forward easily, just clicks while doing so, so wouldn't the manner in which it rolls forward indicate how much drag was on the drive train?
I'm trying to better understand how being hard to pull backwards is causing the transmission to slip. The mower is used in the forward manner, which doesn't give any resistance when pushing. Can you better explain this to me? Thanks

I'm trying to better understand how being hard to pull backwards is causing the transmission to slip.

I believe the binding 660 is referring to is on the drive axles, where the axles protrude through the deck shell and spin the small drive gears. Your wheels could still free-wheel OK on their spindles so to speak, but the trans is having a hard time rotating the axles through the bound-up axle bushings.

Same thing happened to my cheaper HRS single speed self-propelled Honda. I got real lazy and shot'em up with spray-lube.

Joel

Last edited:
Well once I get home today that's the first thing I'm gonna try! PB Blaster to the rescue. I will post back...

Spraying the axle helped somewhat, and I can pull it backwards easily now but the trans still slips when it gets hot and the bag is full (which adds more weight). Thanks for the suggestions.

I am going to limp through the remainder of summer and then unload it on craigslist and get a Toro. I am a fan of Honda don't get me wrong but more so of their engines rather than their transmissions..

Spraying the axle helped somewhat, and I can pull it backwards easily now but the trans still slips when it gets hot and the bag is full (which adds more weight). Thanks for the suggestions..

If I'm not mistaken, this is just a single speed gear drive trans like my cheaper HRS model has. That being the case, there's nothing on the trans itself that's going to slip. It's either go or no-go. Only the belt will slip. Mine started acting up again today (drive slipping) now that we've moved and it's my primary mower like it once was years ago.

I need to address those bushings as 660mag suggested.

I am in the market for something with a faster/hardier self propel system though! My 'new' hilly 1 acre about killed me today. Just over a half needs to be mowed.

Joel

Last edited:
It is the 1 speed thats right. I just replaced the belt and tightened it as much as the tensioner would allow. I will say that between the new belt and lubing the bushing area it does go somewhat better. If I cant sell it on craigslist I am going to play with it over the winter and try to sell it again in the spring.

I would like a mower with more mulching options such as the HRX series with the versamow system, however after looking around at the higher end Super recycler/super bagger Toros and the Snapper HI VAC commercial models, I realize that there is more than the Hondas out there. I like this model snapper with the spin on filter:

http://www.mowersdirect.com/Snapper-7800772-Lawn-Mower/p6534.html

Interesting that the mower in the pic is a gxv honda, but the spec says B&S. the 2011 B&S has the steel sleeve ohv w/ the cute lil oil filter. Very cool mower.

... I realize that there is more than the Hondas out there. I like this model snapper with the spin on filter:

Oh man I hear that! I've been eye-balling the Ninja Recycler model for awhile. I'm really not interested in bagging at all. The only negatives I can think of on this particular mower are #1, for the price, you'd think it would be an aluminum deck, #2, you have to buy a kit to side discharge and #3 for ~$40 more you can get one with a Kawasaki engine.
7800764_500.jpg

Originally Posted By: 660mag
Interesting that the mower in the pic is a gxv honda, but the spec says B&S. the 2011 B&S has the steel sleeve ohv w/ the cute lil oil filter. Very cool mower.

Yea they used the same picture for both models. I hate when websites do that.

Originally Posted By: JTK
... I realize that there is more than the Hondas out there. I like this model snapper with the spin on filter:

Oh man I hear that! I've been eye-balling the Ninja Recycler model for awhile. I'm really not interested in bagging at all. The only negatives I can think of on this particular mower are #1, for the price, you'd think it would be an aluminum deck, #2, you have to buy a kit to side discharge and #3 for ~$40 more you can get one with a Kawasaki engine.
7800764_500.jpg

Yea I'm digging the Kawasaki powered models too. That Ninja recycler is nice too. I have been eyeballing it as well!

This website has the Ninja Commercial for $500. Anyone ever heard of this site or shopped there? Seems too good to be true

link

This website has the Ninja Commercial for $500. Anyone ever heard of this site or shopped there? Seems too good to be true

link

Yeah I looked at that too! $500 would be nice if it was real.

After visiting a few dealerships and checking out Toro Super Recyclers and some Snappers, I wound-up mail-ordering the Snapper Commercial Ninja w/ the Briggs 850 from mowersdirect. Free shipping and no tax. A few hundred more than I wanted to spend, but the overall super heavy-dutiness of this machine sold me. Extra bracing, steel wheels, differential, simple no bagger, spin-on oil filter, etc.

The general lack of product knowledge from the local Toro (sales) folks I spoke with kinds spooked me away.

Me: 'Do you have any Supers with an OHV engine?' (knowing I can get a 20099 with a Kohler, or a Super bagger with a Honda)

Them: "Uhh.. no.. you can't get one with an OHV..... Well.. wait.. I think you can get one with a Subaru engine, but they're HUNDREDS more and don't sell well.."

I did almost pull the plug on a 20092 Super Recycler for $499, but I just didn't want to go back to a flat-head.

Joel

Last edited:
Congrats! That Snapper is a nice machine. The Ninja blade is unlike any other I have seen. I have always been a bagger because I don't like the grass clippings sticking to wet shoes then tracked indoors. Can you post back on how the Snapper performs?
Did you have to pay extra for liftgate service? I was reading that certain weight mowers require a lift gate because the driver of a normal delivery truck isn't obligated to help lift it off a regular truck. (I'm sure a $20 bill would suffice though) What's the fate of your Honda now? Light duty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back