Trek: used bike question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
It is more money, but you might want to look at a Jamis bike new.

Which Jamis model do you have? I can't find anything below about $450, and I don't want to spend anywhere near that much. $100 is about all I'm willing to spend. This is going to be a second bike in case I have some family staying over and we want to go biking together. I'll keep using my Schwinn Sidewinder as my primary bike.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Brons2
forget that, the chinamart bikes are downright dangerous.

Hmm... The $130 Schwinn I bought at walmart in 2005 still serves me well today. I've put about 2K miles on it.

There was a rash of walmart bikes with defective quick releases that resulted in a class action lawsuit. They use the lowest components available. I'd rather spend more for a decent bike shop bike or get something used.

Which Jamis model do you have? I can't find anything below about $450, and I don't want to spend anywhere near that much. $100 is about all I'm willing to spend.

I really don't remember the model. It is in the garage right now behind the car and I can't get to it without moving the car. I got a pretty good deal, too, being clearanced since it was the previous model year, and I got another discount because we bought two bikes at once. It seems similar to this model:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/hardtails/trailx/11_trailx1.html

You might check with your local bike shops and see if they sell used bikes and see what you can find. They'd be all cleaned up for sale and tuned up. Won't find anything for $100 probably, but might find something for around $150.

Are Raleigh bikes decent? There seems to be quite a few of them on CL.

Raleigh makes nice bikes. Although I wasn't looking for an expensive bike (well, for me it was expensive being an undergrad at the time), I wanted a decent one. I shopped nearly every bike shop in Green Bay, Madison, and La Crosse WI over a month's period. There was a Raleigh was my second choice behind the Jamis. It was more expensive for similar specs, though.

Which Jamis model do you have? I can't find anything below about $450, and I don't want to spend anywhere near that much. $100 is about all I'm willing to spend. This is going to be a second bike in case I have some family staying over and we want to go biking together. I'll keep using my Schwinn Sidewinder as my primary bike.

I know you've stated your budget, but you ride a fair bit, so I don't think you'd ever regret getting a "good" bike and let the schwinn become the guest bike. $500-700/15 years isn't alot of money. http://www.norco.com/bikes/urban/
But I guess if your schwinn is doing the job for you then carry on.

Any thoughts on this Schwinn one? Or is it still garbage? It sells for under $300 usually.

Looks OK, but overpriced. It's got bottom shelf components on it all the way around. You'd need it to be professionally assembled & adjusted if you're not going DIY.

If you want a decent bike for not much money, head over to Working Bikes (http://workingbikes.org/) when they have sales hours and take a looksee at what they've got. You'll get a gently used but well adjusted bike for a good price and the money goes for a good cause. And considering most bicycles get purchased and then slowly rust in the garage until they get donated after a divorce
56.gif

I like the former better than the latter.

The Trek has an aluminum frame and a steel fork (a very nice combination for recreational riding), decent quality wheels & components but nothing fancy. You could probably talk them down into the $100s fairly easily, which is an OK price. Possibly an 18.5" frame? Just a SWAG from the picture.

The Giant looks like a tiny, tiny frame size (16"?) and has a front shock. Cheap shocks suck up a lot of your pedaling energy and frankly aren't necessary for much riding.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
I like the former better than the latter.

The Trek has an aluminum frame and a steel fork (a very nice combination for recreational riding), decent quality wheels & components but nothing fancy. You could probably talk them down into the $100s fairly easily, which is an OK price. Possibly an 18.5" frame? Just a SWAG from the picture.

The seller said that supposedly there is a sticker on the frame that says 20 in, 51 cm. I was hoping to get something around 19", but with the seat all the way down, this 20" one might work, too. I'm 5'7".

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I know you've stated your budget, but you ride a fair bit, so I don't think you'd ever regret getting a "good" bike and let the schwinn become the guest bike. $500-700/15 years isn't alot of money. http://www.norco.com/bikes/urban/

I know I'm jumping around with this budget thing, but speaking of $500 hybrid bikes, how's this GT one? I love the looks of it (in black), and always wanted disc brakes, although at this price point, they're probably nothing special...

The front suspension lockout sounds interesting too... not sure how reliable though.

I know I'm jumping around with this budget thing, but speaking of $500 hybrid bikes, how's this GT one? I love the looks of it (in black), and always wanted disc brakes, although at this price point, they're probably nothing special...

The front suspension lockout sounds interesting too... not sure how reliable though.

It looks like a good deal. GT bikes are usually expensive for their specs compared to other brands (Trek is another expensive one). But this one seems like a good deal for what you get. I'm not in the loop anymore about grades of components. But front and rear disc brakes, a 50mm travel front shocks with adjustable preload, and a 6061 aluminum frame for $500 and free shipping seems like a deal to me. The customer reviews are very good on the site. A bike like that would probably last you a decade or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back