ProRated Battery Warranties Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a battery (Duralast Gold) today at the "Zone" and noticed when I got home it just came with a 36 month free replacement coverage but nothing after that. When I took back the old battery for the core refund the counter guy confirmed just the 36 month free replacement with nothing after. He said all the major retailers he knew of had done the same, mentioning AAP and Walmart specifically.

This was news to me, can others confirm?

I didnt think that the maxx gold battery that I bought last year was only free replacement warranty...

Mine has 84 months.

Must be really recent.

Napa batteries are 18 month free replacement, pro rated till 65 months (if its a 65 month battery) or 75 months if its a 75 month battery.

I knew Walmart has gone away from the prorated warranty. Didn't know about AAP or AZ doing so. Last time I was in AAP and looked quick at the batteries was probably March, and I remember them having a prorated sticker then.

Walmart changed the warranty on its battery from 2-3 years free replacement and 60-80 months prorated to only 2-3 years free replacement about 6-7 months ago.

Some still have prorated period: Interstate at Firestone up to 85 months, Motorcraft at Ford dealer up to 100 months ... I just bought Motorcraft BXT-49 from Ford for my E430, it has 3 years free replacement and 100 months prorated for $93 plus tax. I think it's better deal than the $82 for Walmart Maxx. I think the Motorcraft BXT-49 is re-branded Interstate Mega-Tron Plus.

Is it me, or is it a coincidence? Walmart sells "Johnson Controls Batteries" - are the AutoZone batteries made/distributed by "Johnson Controls" as well?

When I bought my "MAXX-34" battery from WM, yea, they told me they just changed it this past July....their batteries are straight "Free Replacement" per Johnson Controls....something about JC "losing money" etc etc...budget cuts, blah blah...and well, being in the South....batteries are lucky to last 24 months here...

But get this...my mother drives a 2000 Ford Expedition, the Triton V8, still has the original Ford battery in that beast....lol! I'd like to know who makes that battery
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ahoier

But get this...my mother drives a 2000 Ford Expedition, the Triton V8, still has the original Ford battery in that beast....lol! I'd like to know who makes that battery
smile.gif

I think problem is not so much batteries are worse than they used to be, but the engines are more powerful and put in much smaller confines.

Battery in my V6 RAV heats up to 155F after summer driving with AC on. That is above what should be allowed in acid lead battery.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
smile.gif

Johnson Controls makes the Ford OE and Motorcraft replacement batteries. They are made to Ford's spec's just like the ones they make for Interstate, DieHard etc.

The pro rated part is sort of useless though, like tires. They take the pro rated percentage against the full retail price and the result can be more than just buying a new tire or battery on sale. Full replacement for the longest period of time is the way to go

Originally Posted By: Spector
The pro rated part is sort of useless though, like tires. They take the pro rated percentage against the full retail price and the result can be more than just buying a new tire or battery on sale. Full replacement for the longest period of time is the way to go

Also, the replacement unit will only be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period. So if you change out an original battery that had maybe 6 months left on a 72 month warranty, the new one put in will only be warranted for 6 months.

Last edited:
That's not true at Costco. Costco refunds the remaining percentage and puts it on a cash card, which you can then use to buy another battery, and the warranty starts over.

If you've already gotten another battery, you can use the cash card to buy anything else at Costco.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Also, the replacement unit will only be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period. So if you change out an original battery that had maybe 6 months left on a 72 month warranty, the new one put in will only be warranted for 6 months.

This was not the case when I worked at Sears several years ago. If a battery died in the prorated warranty period, you got a percentage of the original cost towards a new battery. That new battery had a full warranty.

Here's the fine print from the Advance Auto Parts website. Emphasis added by me.

Quote:

PRORATION
The prorated purchase price of any battery listed above, which becomes defective after the lapse of the "Free Replacement Period", and prior to the end of the warranty period, will be either credited toward the purchase of another battery, or refunded at our option. The amount of the proration shall be determined by dividing the purchase price by the number of months of the warranty period, and then multiplying the result by the number of months remaining in the warranty period. (Any partial months will be rounded to the nearest whole month). When a battery is replaced after the "Free Replacement Period" and a prorated fee is paid, the warranty starts from that date as a new purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back