Foregoing Synthetic For Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting the links to the uoas you mention would permit us in #1 seeing the add packs of GTX and also#2 deciding if this oil is worth all you say. Just asking
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mva
Originally Posted By: Radman
My Nissan engines are tough on oil, therefore I have used synthetic lubricants for over 15 years. I have researched many different oils on my VQ35DE. Several years later and allot UOA’s the numbers surprised me. The run of the mill Castrol 5W30 GTX outperformed most of the synthetic lubricants. After my Mobil 0W40 stash is exhausted I will be buying the Castrol 6 gallon oil in the box. Doing the right thing needn’t cost $5+ a quart. Who would have thought that Castrol mineral oil would turn out better UOA's than Mobil Synthetic? I am now a Group 2 Convert.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Would you post the links to your UOA history so we can have a look?

Thru the late 70s and throughout the 80s I had 4 bangers. Subarus GL & DL, and a Datsun B210 (been all Mazda (GLC, 323 and now 6) since circa 1990).

Anyway, heard the advertisement - "GTX for small high revving engines". And I was in (mostly 20w50 iirc). In the early '90s I heard "GTX 20w50 is the nearest thing to synthetic in it's properties/performance". It was like when your older brother tells you a physics "fact" when your six yrs old - it sticks as the truth regardless of how off it was. Today I still have to shake that GTX 20w50 statement out of my head.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Mark72
This sounds like an advertisement for Castrol GTX. You guys all work for BP?
smile.gif
LOL... I like GTX as well. I wish it wasn't so high priced. I know that higher cost doesn't always mean better product but sometimes I wonder what they use in their add/pack that is so special and requires such a "special" price.

We`ll never know,they dont tell you anything! It`s a big secret.

The same reason GEICO went from one of the cheapest to the most expensive. Someones got to pay for all those ads.

Synthetics are usually better for extended oil change intervals.I used to think there was nothing better than syn oil untill I started seeing how good the GP2+ Chevron oils worked on the engines at work by 1995 I was back to dino except for the vehicles I do extended oi change on.

Looking at UOAs section I have noticed that GTX holds the viscisity quite well even in engines that are known to bet oil, PYB on the other hand shears a bit more. Frankly this is the oil I would cosider to use if I wee to opt out of synthetics fo under 5K OCIs.

I pick GTX dino oil over any other dino oil if price is not a problem. there high mile version is also exelence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using GTX 5w30 right now in my 2010 Lancer Ralliart (turbo). Going to run it 3750 miles, send off for a UOA and let you guys know the results when done.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Right now, I actually have a run of GTX going on my minivan..the new trishield stuff. I got it for 13.50 for the jug before they cranked it up to 18.50. Off topic…In my 95 Lumina which as 165k on it, I’m running Mobil Super High Mileage, and I have seen a remarkable reduction in fuel usage. I know it’s much better because it is VERY obvious that these Luminas suck gas in town. Almost as if someone is siphoning the gas out of your tank every time you park the thing and get back in it. It is not placebo and it is very evident my car is using less gas on this stuff. It’s the only HM oil that has the energy conserving rating. It is also a syn blend and wonder how much syn is in this stuff.

Maxlife XW-30 is HM blend oil that is resource conserving and GF-5 as well. Of the 3 HM 30 oils, MS is thinnest at 100C, followed by ML, then by Castrol HM.

Hmmm, this thread has me thinking. I am just about to put some Amsoil 5w40 in my wife's maxima. Where did the OP go? I want to see some uoa of this if possible.

Last edited:
The original poster was referring to regular GTX if I understood him correctly. The HM version is great stuff but much thicker and also a syn-blend.

If you do a search you'll find plenty of impressive looking UOA's for regular GTX.

I was looking at GTX the other day at the store as I've settled on it for our new KIA. I noticed the GTX says "Exceeds API SN GF-5" whereas most of the others I looked at, including heavyweight Pennzoil said "meets or exceeds". Who knows but I thought it was interesting.

Here's the thing.....I don't think Mobil 1 oil is all that cracked up it's made out to be. I'm not saying it is a bad oil, I just think it is a typical synthetic oil.

For the first time ever, I put synthetic Pennzoil platinum in my car for the winter here in northern Canada. I don't notice any difference from the usual Quaker State Green bottle I usually put in.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The original poster was referring to regular GTX if I understood him correctly. The HM version is great stuff but much thicker and also a syn-blend.

If you do a search you'll find plenty of impressive looking UOA's for regular GTX.

I was looking at GTX the other day at the store as I've settled on it for our new KIA. I noticed the GTX says "Exceeds API SN GF-5" whereas most of the others I looked at, including heavyweight Pennzoil said "meets or exceeds". Who knows but I thought it was interesting.

Thank you

I just switched from the Castrol GTX, back to Mobil-1. The only reason I did it was because my fuel millage was horrible on the GTX. I like the GTX very much, RX ran good on it, smooth quiet etc. But my millage took a huge drop on it. Yota`s just seem to like Mobil-1. I wouldnt mind trying the GTX 5W20 some time though. Looks like a very stout 20w on paper, (what they tell you about it)

Last edited:
I just switched from the Castrol GTX, back to Mobil-1. The only reason I did it was because my fuel millage was horrible on the GTX. I like the GTX very much, RX ran good on it, smooth quiet etc. But my millage took a huge drop on it. Yota`s just seem to like Mobil-1. I wouldnt mind trying the GTX 5W20 some time though. Looks like a very stout 20w on paper, (what they tell you about it)

Yes it does, one of the reasons I've selected it for our new KIA van. It's the thickest 5w20 I've found except for perhaps an Amsoil offering that costs far more. I've seen UOA's at 5k with the GTX 5w20 and the kv100 was still 9.0. That makes it the perfect 5w20 for people who are not sold on or are still a bit suspicious of the idea of 5w20 (which would be me). That and Castrol has performed well for me in the past it's a no brainer.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Yes it does, one of the reasons I've selected it for our new KIA van. It's the thickest 5w20 I've found except for perhaps an Amsoil offering that costs far more. I've seen UOA's at 5k with the GTX 5w20 and the kv100 was still 9.0. That makes it the perfect 5w20 for people who are not sold on or are still a bit suspicious of the idea of 5w20 (which would be me). That and Castrol has performed well for me in the past it's a no brainer.

thumbsup2.gif

Castrol GTX use to be the choice for Nissan VQ engine according to Maxima.org. Is is very subjective matter. If money is no issue, I would still use synthetic. I would feel safe to use GTX at 5K OCI. My favorite oil for VQ engine is the castrol GC 0W30.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Using GTX 5w30 right now in my 2010 Lancer Ralliart (turbo). Going to run it 3750 miles, send off for a UOA and let you guys know the results when done.

I dont know if it was psychological or what, but the car just didnt 'feel' the same with GTX as opposed to the Edge w/Titanium. Going back to Castrol Edge Titanium soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back