Foregoing Synthetic For Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Nissan engines are tough on oil, therefore I have used synthetic lubricants for over 15 years. I have researched many different oils on my VQ35DE. Several years later and allot UOA’s the numbers surprised me. The run of the mill Castrol 5W30 GTX outperformed most of the synthetic lubricants. After my Mobil 0W40 stash is exhausted I will be buying the Castrol 6 gallon oil in the box. Doing the right thing needn’t cost $5+ a quart. Who would have thought that Castrol mineral oil would turn out better UOA's than Mobil Synthetic? I am now a Group 2 Convert.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

My 2005 Murano is eating quite a bit of synthetic as well. Was looking into doing what you are as well. Of course mine has 155K on it. It's eating a quart every 3-4K

Last edited:
Yea I don't know the quality of Castrol now but, I'm sure its still pretty good but, I do know that for the longest time it was the best oil hands down especially 80s and 90s for sure. We had a Suzuki Samurai which were notorious for blowing head gaskets. When the head was removed to replace the gasket and mic the head to see if it was still good the mechanic could not belive how clean and how minimal the wear was. He had ask what oil was used and when he found out he was amazed how good that engine had looked with mineral oil at 130,000 which was a hard task for the samurai as it was. He mentioned the cross hatches were still all there and the engine was well within factory specs at the mileage it had. It was enough for the whole shop to change over to GTX. He also stated it was the cleanest engine he ever saw in his 30 years of working on engines and the cleanest Samurai one at that. Use it with confidence if it works for you. Its priced a little high nowadays but, it will hang with the big V.

@VR1 - I have tried and cannot find a better performing oil for the money. It sure beats the price of synthetic and with my oil change frequency this will be my future. The box oil at Wally World helps take the bite of the the price.

Two things I noticed between Synthetic and Conventional in mine are; When using Conventional oil,and the car is cold,it doesnt have the power it should. When using Synthetic, it doesnt do that. Second thing is; On the highway using Conventional, the top end kick in the pants throttle response just isnt there.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Same Na add pack as valvoline in SM. Wonder what the SN pack is.
Why did we have the tea party if you give you $$$ to the Brits?

No offense Arco,... But What??

I've noticed that on toyota/yamaha 4 cyl engines. Must be HTHS related. The unstable 5w-30 dino just falls apart when pushed on shorty slipper skirted pistons. Problem goes away with 10w-40 or a mix.

I tried Valvoline and found high shear. The Valvoline HM wasn’t bad although I got better numbers from Castrol. So I give my money to the better product. Just gotta love Capitalism!!!

I've noticed that on toyota/yamaha 4 cyl engines. Must be HTHS related. The unstable 5w-30 dino just falls apart when pushed on shorty slipper skirted pistons. Problem goes away with 10w-40 or a mix.

Oh, okay.
13.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Same Na add pack as valvoline in SM. Wonder what the SN pack is.
Why did we have the tea party if you give you $$$ to the Brits?

No offense Arco,... But What??
Whaddy mean, "but what?
smile.gif
- the tea party comment or the sodium package? The Na pack has been considered "cheap" in the past, I have no opinion on it. Lubrizol vs inferior(??) packages. Also UOA do not evidence overall engine wear or impending failure (ex:coolant leaks or TAN/TBN or oxidation - but NOT wear) IMO, the OP's original premise for choosing conventional is flawed.

Last edited:
This sounds like an advertisement for Castrol GTX. You guys all work for BP?
smile.gif
LOL... I like GTX as well. I wish it wasn't so high priced. I know that higher cost doesn't always mean better product but sometimes I wonder what they use in their add/pack that is so special and requires such a "special" price.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
This sounds like an advertisement for Castrol GTX. You guys all work for BP?
smile.gif
LOL... I like GTX as well. I wish it wasn't so high priced. I know that higher cost doesn't always mean better product but sometimes I wonder what they use in their add/pack that is so special and requires such a "special" price.

We`ll never know,they dont tell you anything! It`s a big secret.

I have a rebuilt quite a few engines and have seen what different oils have done. Valvoline, Mobil & Castrol leave very clean remains. GTX is a paraffin base and is premium oil at a fair price. If I can get less wear for less money than I would be a fool not to. No more marketing hype for me. PT Barnum said it best!

Originally Posted By: Radman
My Nissan engines are tough on oil, therefore I have used synthetic lubricants for over 15 years. I have researched many different oils on my VQ35DE. Several years later and allot UOA’s the numbers surprised me. The run of the mill Castrol 5W30 GTX outperformed most of the synthetic lubricants. After my Mobil 0W40 stash is exhausted I will be buying the Castrol 6 gallon oil in the box. Doing the right thing needn’t cost $5+ a quart. Who would have thought that Castrol mineral oil would turn out better UOA's than Mobil Synthetic? I am now a Group 2 Convert.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Would you post the links to your UOA history so we can have a look?

Radman, in your past, have you stuck with mostly xw30 oils or does your list of UOAs include a 5w40. I noticed you had 0w40M1 in there but not any 5w40s. I have a VQ35 and would be interested to see your UOA results if you have them all together.

Castrol GTX is a good oil.

In the past, they used to really push that they were the oil for high shear, high heat situations in small engines. They still do, and in looking at UOA's, it seems like GTX shears just a bit less than other XW-30 oils. At least from what I can see.

When I used it, my engine used less of it that other oils.

Right now, I actually have a run of GTX going on my minivan..the new trishield stuff. I got it for 13.50 for the jug before they cranked it up to 18.50. Off topic…In my 95 Lumina which as 165k on it, I’m running Mobil Super High Mileage, and I have seen a remarkable reduction in fuel usage. I know it’s much better because it is VERY obvious that these Luminas suck gas in town. Almost as if someone is siphoning the gas out of your tank every time you park the thing and get back in it. It is not placebo and it is very evident my car is using less gas on this stuff. It’s the only HM oil that has the energy conserving rating. It is also a syn blend and wonder how much syn is in this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back