Kohler Small Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know much about the Kohler small engines such as the 149cc? I've heard that they are made by a Chinese company but not for sure. I recently bought a Husqvarna push mower with that engine and so far it's great. No primmer bulb and easy to start.

I like the kohler better than briggs because when I mowed lawns and churches in high school the briggs would GUZZLE oil after 150hrs or so. The kawi, and kohler used none. My bread and butter push mower was a 1990 Monkey Wards mower that Im sure had over a 1,000 hrs on it and running it 25 hrs between changes it would still be full...
I NEVER killed a mower even the oil guzzling briggs. I just had to add a qt of delo 15w40 every 3 hrs or so.

Replaced several carbs on Stihl weedwhackers (made in China). Can't seem to troubleshoot/clean them back to health. If a quality brand like Stihl puts Chinese junk (carbs) on their machines, I have a hard time trusting even Kohler to get something that's worth your money from China. I have to admit though, Chinese engines are getting better and you will find Chinese parts on many, many quality brands of everything you buy everyday. Just do a once over on the nuts and bolts to make sure they're tight. Keep a VERY close eye on the fuel you put through it. Carbs from China are very, very unforgiving when it comes to extremely small particles of dirt and/or old varnishy fuel. Is varnishy a word? Oh, and change the plug sooner than later if it's the coveted "Torch" brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
Replaced several carbs on Stihl weedwhackers (made in China). Can't seem to troubleshoot/clean them back to health. If a quality brand like Stihl puts Chinese junk (carbs) on their machines, I have a hard time trusting even Kohler to get something that's worth your money from China. I have to admit though, Chinese engines are getting better and you will find Chinese parts on many, many quality brands of everything you buy everyday. Just do a once over on the nuts and bolts to make sure they're tight. Keep a VERY close eye on the fuel you put through it. Carbs from China are very, very unforgiving when it comes to extremely small particles of dirt and/or old varnishy fuel. Is varnishy a word? Oh, and change the plug sooner than later if it's the coveted "Torch" brand.

Chinese engines in my daily experience sux and are usually Knockoffs of the HONDA motors.. Parts are not easy to find and they are generally not worth messing with anyway once they break. These engines are the ones used in the junk gens sold for $100.00 at China Mart (HARBOR FRIEGHT)..

While KHOLER Engines are usually very good I'm not a FAN of the COURAGE line at all.

As far as STIHL using JUNK carbs that's not true.. They use ZAMA Carbs mostly and they are very good, might even call them the industry standard.. I go about 50/50 on repair or replace but usually the decision is cost based. "SOME" carbs can be replaced for less then it would cost the customer for me to repair it (in labor & parts $).. There are only three quality carb makers for small engines.. ZAMA, WALBRO, & TILLOTSON. The "others" are the JUNK ones and oft used in the inexpensive handheld units cheapazz homeowners love to buy.. The ZAMA Carbs I have the most trouble with are the ones that are not adjustable.. However these carbs are not chosen because they are the "best" option they are chosen because they don't want anyone to adj them at all. Emissions regs play a significant role in the carbs chosen for a specific unit or product line.
I am "usually" able to get a carb back in service with a good cleaning and correct kit.. The ones I don't even try to mess with are the ones that loose a Welch plug, these units I just replace when found.

As far as B&S Engines "sucking" oil, Iv'e NEVER seen a "properly running B&S suck oil? Yes they DO burn oil in use (very little) but it's not excessive inless something is wrong with it.. The units I see with LOW oil are pretty much always units the owner has neglected by failing to change the oil at recommended intervals.

Last edited:
Stihl owens Zama now. Zama is Japanies.
Kohler vertical walk behind mower engines are junky when you get down to it.
Currently they are replaceing the whole carb, per Bruce Taylor at Kohler, due to stuck needels. The plateing on the needel does not hold up to fuel, and corrosion accures within one to two years. We have replaced a dozen or so this season through the service department I manage.

The carburetors are a problem. I keep 10+ on hand, and even then I'm reordering almost once a week.

But, aside from the troublesome carbs, they seem to be decent engines. It seems like they are less prone to bent cranks compared to Hondas.

If that post was directed to me about "briggs sucking oil" I maintained my equipment meticulously changing the oil every 25 hrs (4 days of operation) I DID NOT neglect them. The briggs is fine for the average joe but they use oil once they have a few hours on them I have NEVER seen one that did not

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
If that post was directed to me about "briggs sucking oil" I maintained my equipment meticulously changing the oil every 25 hrs (4 days of operation) I DID NOT neglect them. The briggs is fine for the average joe but they use oil once they have a few hours on them I have NEVER seen one that did not

No not really directed at you, just felt your statement was a pretty broad one is all. When you say you've "NEVER seen one that didn't burn oil" my only Q would be how large was your data base? My current/specific line of work means I have been in contact with several hundred units and I base my comments on that.

No not at all, if you were any kind of operator I would think your equipment would have been very well maintained.. Not doing so, IE: Neglecting your equip would be quite counter productive to your BIZ and your bottom line..

Trust me I see PLENTY of neglected equip and am very familiar with the consequences.

The Zama carb on my Echo PB-200 blower is made in China. Its stamped on it. Could the Japanese be giving work to China too?

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
The Zama carb on my Echo PB-200 blower is made in China. Its stamped on it. Could the Japanese be giving work to China too?

The Japanese companies have off shored many manufacturing concerns to China also.

When I come upon a carburetor that needs replacing 50 percent of the time because it's more cost effective to replace it than rebuild it, it's junk. Reminds me of the Tecumseh push mower engine with the plastic carb bowl that was held on with a bale. You couldn't clean or troubleshoot the bowl...you just had to suck up the $20 and replace it. I could be (and often am according to my wife) wrong, but I think my Stihl chainsaw carb has China stamped on it.

Man,what`s happening to this Country of ours? China this,China that? You think the OLD stale excuse "we have no money" is bad now? Just wait.

Last edited:
Quote:
Reminds me of the Tecumseh push mower engine with the plastic carb bowl that was held on with a bale.

I do my best to FORGET about those and had been doing really well until just now..

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Man,what`s happening to this Country of ours? China this,China that? You think the OLD stale excuse "we have no money" is bad now? Just wait.

No kidding. I just replaced the belt on my Honda mower with OEM Honda and sure as rain- it's stamped "Made in China" right next to the Honda stamp.I bought Japanese to buy Japanese, not Chinese. Global economy be [censored], I still want my Japanese parts...

No kidding. I just replaced the belt on my Honda mower with OEM Honda and sure as rain- it's stamped "Made in China" right next to the Honda stamp.I bought Japanese to buy Japanese, not Chinese. Global economy be [censored], I still want my Japanese parts...

Funny thing is, in the 70's and 80's, everybody was making the same argument about "Japanese this, Japanese that".

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Funny thing is, in the 70's and 80's, everybody was making the same argument about "Japanese this, Japanese that".

Yep, your right. I remember that as well. But at least some road repairs and things were still being done then. Now,they arent doing a freaking thing! The supposed cause? "we dont have the money" Funny though how fast checks get written for foreign aid. they cant get them written fast enough. No money problem there. Rant over, I dont want to get the thread locked. And I`m off the original topic anyway`s.

Last edited:

Yep, your right. I remember that as well. But at least some road repairs and things were still being done then. Now,they arent doing a freaking thing! The supposed cause? "we dont have the money" Funny though how fast checks get written for foreign aid. they cant get them written fast enough. No money problem there. Rant over, I dont want to get the thread locked. And I`m off the original topic anyway`s.

It is simple economics in that manufacturing companies are always under pressure to find the balance between quality and lowest cost. No longer is it cost advantageous for small item manufacturing items to be made here in the USA. So things like this go overseas.

What is left here is either highly specialized manufacturing or service industry economy. Those that failed to evolve to the education and skill sets that a highly specialized manufacturing economy demands, are left behind to waddle in the service economy or just not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back