Stock Steel Vs Stock Aluminum Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which are better, and Why?

I have a set of each, Stock Steel and Stock Aluminum Wheels.

2005 Chevrolet Astro Van.
The steelies weigh 29 lbs, the aluminums weigh 19 lbs.
The steelies are 6.5" wide, the aluminums are 7" wide.
All other dimensions are the similar, the only exception might be offset/backspacing.

As I have said, Both are stock for this vehicle.

So which is better in your opinion?

Thanks, Jim

Aluminum as they weigh less and this has its advantages. Steel wheels are better for off roading and in more harsh severe atmospheres as they can take abuse better and are probably a bit more stronger.

Aluminum Wheels do not like POT HOLES.

The Aluminum Wheels may give you a tad better m.p.g.'s and a tad better acceleration, the acceleration point is just my thoughts.

Steel is far stronger at the expense of weight. I doubt you will notice 40lb difference on a vehicle of that size, so I'd just say get the steel ones.

I prefer the stock aluminum/alloy wheels to stock steel. IME, the stock steelies rust under the hub caps over time and begin to look fairly rough. I'm aware they can be painted, but that's not my cup of tea.

Never had an issue stock aluminum/alloy wheels. JMO

The only thing I like about aluminum alloy wheels is they typically let you inspect the outboard brake pad and rotor thickness easily. Other than that I'd go with steelies any day of the week. Durable, cheap & dependable!

On a 2005 Astro van you'll never, ever notice the difference in unsprung mass. Maybe 0.0001 mpg lifetime difference.

Most stock aluminum wheel are durable enough to withstand normal pot holes. Those you want to avoid are cheap knockoff cast aluminum wheels of high strength forge aluminum wheels. They tend to shatter very easily (i.e. Rota).

Interesting you are comparing two rims with slightly different widths. This will have a subtle effect squeezing the tire into slightly different shapes and subsequent wear patterns. Though any tire you would throw at it probably has 1.5" of leeway on rim width; try to get in the middle of the specs.

Unsprung mass is important, but would you feel that with a live axle truck chassis?

You are lucky the stock aluminum ones are 10 lbs lighter. Many are right about the same as steel.

I prefer aluminum for unsprung weight unless it's an offroad machine. Otherwise, get the one that looks best.

unsprung weight is not the best for handling. For an astro van, it may not matter. Steelies may give more rolling inertia, but slower start-off. Steelies are tougher if you have bad roads, not that Ive ever had an issue (knock on wood).

I run dedicated snows on our 02 Volvo V70XC mounted on steels (4). There is a slight difference from the factory aluminums and summer tires, but not much (little in the handling, no noticable difference in MPG). I could not imagine that you would notice any difference on a truck chasis.

Steel is all around better aluminum is pretty and may or may not be lighter. and in a passenger vehicle will not make a difference.

most STOCK aluminum rims are at least comparable to steelies, but on an Astro? Not really a performance platform, I can't imagine any difference.

In the aftermarket it's a [censored], but if the mfgr specs them those aluminum wheels have been tested thoroughly.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Aluminum wheel is better in performance/handling category. All race cars and high performance cars use aluminum wheel.

NASCAR uses steel wheels.

Personally, even on an Astro, I'd go with the aluminum wheels, especially for a 10 pound savings at each corner. Holy cow, what a difference in weight. On every car that I've owned that I've switched from steel to aluminum, I've noticed a difference in ride and handling. The car just seems lighter on its feet. And none of them were "performance" cars. They were two modern Toyotas and an '84 Oldsmobile Cutlass (very similar in chassis design to the Astro van).

Steel rims without full covers always look terrible after a few years of salty roads around here. Aluminum corrodes too, kinda a white crust under the clearcoat, but doesn't look nearly as bad.

I'm sick of touching up our Highlander steelies every spring. Bought a set of new takeoff aluminum wheels. They were cheaper than having the steelies professionally repainted or powder coated.

Last edited:
I'm amazed the stock alloy rims are 19lbs. There are 15" alloy econo car rims that weigh that much.
I bet on the front you could feel slight ride improvement with less unsprung weight, and it doesn't hurt on the back either.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

NASCAR uses steel wheels.
They also use carburators and solid rear axles.
crazy.gif

Actually NASCAR is a "special case" especially when it comes to wheels. Those steel wheels are only 9.5" wide and run oversize tires that bulge out a couple of inches on each side. That's what makes those cars so "squirelly" and the racing so, umm, "exciting".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back