How often you you do throttle cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Not much of a coating if deposits still stick to it.

Probably because it's supposed to prevent premature corrosion even with the presence of deposits etc. Not to be 'sleek' and prevent cling from deposits. Yet, without the coating it might pile on pretty heavy, OTOH!
lol.gif

Well, Thinking i have never cleaned the TB yet in the Ciera & i need to replace the T-Stat,(TBody needs to come off to replace Tstat) i thought i would give this a try today... 2 Hrs Later, and im still not done... haha. I am stuck on the coolant hose that comes out of the TB... Its really stuck on the TB.. Ill give it a try tomorrow..... The TB has a decent amount of carbon, back side of the plate is covered, IACV also has a nice layer... BUT, i dont think i would be enough to cause any issues, but a clean TB, is a happy TB... Ill let you know how it is after the TB cleaning... But you already know.. night and day difference, just because everythings clean, and a nice new Tstat.. Speaking of that it does get up to temp, slowly, takes 12 miles from the first start to lock the TC up..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Ford used to have (may be they still do) some coating on the throttle plate. That's why it is generally advised to use TB cleaner sprays rather than using carburetor cleaners. The TB cleaner can will specifically state that it will NOT harm the coating.

So in reality, all TB sprays will be "coating safe"?

Only reason I ask is because I have used MANY TB sprays and have yet to read that on the directions/caption.

Last edited:
So did a TB clean, IACV cleaned, along with a new 195F Tstat, and gaskets. The throttle itself feels silky smooth.... The TB was dirty, but not bad.... The Intake had more carbon then anything else... But it was only a coating.. everything is spotless now, and she idles & runs very well and steady. I dont think i will be cleaning this TB again, unless a issue were to come up, and i have to remove it... (such as to replace the tstat...) It was worth it to clean now that its done, but Not worth the hrs of labor.. :-D

My cars don't have cats..I use a gallon of kerosene..better known as jet fuel to clean my fuel system.
You can feel the difference.
I add one gallon to my full 24 gallon fuel tank.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I need to do a real good TB and IAC Valve cleaning on my wife O1 Lexus RX-300. Anyone have any tip on this particular vehicle, please comment.

The engine starts fine, idles fine, passes traffic fine and excelerates fine. But, step on the pedal to do a WOT and it's only fair. The engine doesn't bog down nor want's to quit but, it's not what it should be. It's like it can't breath well. Something is missing(not a miss in the engine). Nothing you can hear/feel. Tranny kicks down, exceleration picks up but, not where it should be. It's as though some butterfly valves aren't opening all the way so that the engine can breath. Or something is restricted. No one that I demonstrate this for can tell there is anything wrong, just me. Because I know where the performance should be. TIPS PLEASE!

Look on the forum at club lexus. You need to adjust the accelerator cable on the throttle body, for optimum performance. I've done it myself, and it makes a [censored] of a difference.

We also have diy's for throttle body cleaning, iacv cleaning, and maf sensor cleaning.

edit: didn't realize lexus114 already told u about the adjustment.

I will certainly give this throttle cable adjustment a try! Looks to be an easy start to things. If this cures my lack of WOT responce, I may leave the rest alone til another time especially since I have a ton of other things to do this summer besides working on vehilces.

I adjusted the throttle cable exactly the way this was discribed on Club Lexus site. NO CHANGE!
But, like I said, the engine still runs very nice, just not as strong as I think it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back