what you guys think of valvoline nextgen oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about additive clash? That topic gets a bit of discussion here doesn't it? Unless they are removing additives in their re-refining process and re-adding their formula back in, isn't clash an issue?

Originally Posted By: JDD
What about additive clash? That topic gets a bit of discussion here doesn't it? Unless they are removing additives in their re-refining process and re-adding their formula back in, isn't clash an issue?

My guess is that it would be one of two possibilities.

Either,

1. They re-refine it to the point there are no significant quantities of additives left.

or

2. They analyze the residual additives and make sure the new additive pack complements it.

Whether it's 1 or 2 or a bit of both, I very much doubt that they leave it to chance.

If they use the same refining process as crude oil, all the additives will be removed.

Originally Posted By: uart

My guess is that it would be one of two possibilities.

Either,

1. They re-refine it to the point there are no significant quantities of additives left.

or

2. They analyze the residual additives and make sure the new additive pack complements it.

Whether it's 1 or 2 or a bit of both, I very much doubt that they leave it to chance.

they say on the site that they remove "used" additives. but im still waiting on a response from my question about the different base stocks getting mixed in.....

IMO the oil has been tested by valvoine and would not be on the market if it was not 100% safe to use.
If they can pull all the old [censored] out of the used oil I see no problem with it.
If it passes oil tests of today its a far better than an oil from 10 years ago.

Valvoline wouldn't risk damaging their brand on a product that wasn't good enough to put in our engines.

I'm sure it's a great oil and your engine won't know the difference between the oils.

The only problem I have with this oil is the price (it's got to be cheaper if I'm going to run it.)

Wow - some of the bias against recycled oil is stupefying.

NextGen is 50% recycled. EcoPower by SafetyKleen is 100% recycled. I just ran EcoPower in my 2010 G37 from 2800 miles to 5500 miles.

Wear metals dropped from a combined 102 ppm on Castrol Syntec Blend 100% non-recycled oil to 48 ppm on EcoPower. That's a 53% decrease.

At 5500 miles, every single wear metal is now below Universal Average for my car except Copper, which dropped from 72 to 32 and should continue to trend down to its average of 12 ppm.

I put EcoPower back in my car for another run, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I'm sure NextGen will be a fine product too.

I will stick with my Mobil 1 for now. It took a long time for me to be convinced about the benefits of Synthetics before I switched from Dino. Same goes for Nextgen. Will wait for the UOAs and user reviews before trying it out, but will be very happy to test it in my mother-in-law's Ford 500.
56.gif

I have been frequenting Wal-Mart lately and the 5w-30 varieties are almost half 3/4 empty and a couple 10w-30s gone. I think since I live in a colder climate people don't go with the 10w-30 as much. Anyway either the color and the marketing have paid off, or everyone has found out about their rebate for $7/10 off a Jug.

I would use it in my Mustang and Saturn. I seriously doubt that they would be selling dirty used oil without properly cleaning and "adding" to it in this day and age, especially with a big company like valvoline.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I would use it in my Mustang and Saturn. I seriously doubt that they would be selling dirty used oil without properly cleaning and "adding" to it in this day and age, especially with a big company like valvoline.

Yeah the purity of the nextgen stuff has really been put beyond any doubt after this VOA. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2194500#Post2194500

All that remains is to see how it performs in UOA's, but I'm pretty sure there will be no problems there either.

Last edited:
Used the 5w30 in my girlfriend's PT Cruiser a few weeks ago. The engine hasn't blown up yet so I guess that's a good sign lol. My Explorer is due for an OC and I will use it in that too.

Originally Posted By: walk23
Blend of new and re-filtered used oil.

At this point, with the information that Valvoline has released about it, you still think that that's all NextGen is? Really?

Yikes.

Originally Posted By: VRAY
What do you think it is ?

I think it's exactly what Valvoline says it is, and it's not just 'filtered used oil'.

Since Valvoline has decided to use 50% re-refined oil and has put it on the shelves, I wanted to share this with the audience:

Here is a comment from John Cutshall from Safety-Kleen as to why re-refined oil is not available in retail stores. He sent this to me 1.2.2009:

The real problem with retail marketing of our products is that there is little demand.

With low demand, it is impossible to get any retail outlets to stock the products.

Any time somebody goes into a parts store for oil, they are either looking for a name brand or the cheapest quart there. We do not offer either product.

"If you talked with Safety-Kleen in Waco, they do not distribute the America's Choice lubricants.

We have distributors in Ft. Worth, Fredericksburg and Gonzales.

These distributors do supply our government customers or sell our products as housebrand.

I'm sorry that I can not offer much hope of retail availability, but over the last 10 years, the State of California has spent tens of millions of dollars trying to generate retail demand for rerefined lubricants with little success.

With the economy down and State budgets being in the red, there will not be any support from those areas.

Thanks for your interest in our products."

Straight from Mr. Cutshall/Safety-Klean Regional Manager for Texas and the Western half of the U.S.

My opinion:

Re-Refined oil will not cost less than virgin oil because it costs more to take out the contaminants, and replace the additives to bring the oil back into compliance with the current standards.

I think that Valvoline probably gets its' supply of re-refined oil from Safety Klean (best option) or another "re-refiner." Re-refined oil has to be government subsidized to work. Europe taxes people like crazy to subsidize the industry. The same would have to happen here as well and it may be happening now.

Fact:

The U.S. Government is supposed to use re-refined oil per (2) Executive Orders signed by President Clinton, if the oil is available, for all government vehicles.

For your reference: Executive Order #13101 dated 9/14/1998 & 13149 dated 4/21/2000.

Where is your data on re-refined oil subsidy?

The gov't use of recycled oil has already been discussed here, but kudos for the specifics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back