Should I stick with John Deere oil filters for diesel tractors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple diesel tractor and have been using John Deere OEM oil filters.

I found a cross to Purolators. (both Premium Plus and Pure Ones).

Is there any complelling reason to stick with JD filters? Do diesels have specific filtration requirements?

The Purolators are cheaper and much easier to get.

JD M806418 = Purolator L14612
JD M806419 = Purolator L14459

Aren't most OEm filters simply re-badged Wix, Champion, etc?

I switched from the Kubota filters to the Wix equivalent on my Kubota diesel tractor close to 2 years ago and have not had any problems. Very convenient for me to go down to NAPA and pick one up when I need it.

I also went from the Kubota 15W-40 oil to Delo 15W-40 so I could be assured of a known quality of product. I did not know the sourcing for the Kubota oil.

When I could no longer find* the right AC number for my truck, before BITOG, I started chopping up alternatives. Except for distant, last place Fram, most of them looked about the same inside and had no more than 3/4 as much filter media as the AC, unknown manufacturer. BOTIG has confirmed my suspicion that filter media area is not the only thing. Filter Guy keeps hinting at it, but never really gives us any inside info on quality.

Made by doesn't mean made the same. On the other hand, I am not sure looking at the insides tells you much unless the filter has failed. That still doesn't tell if the filter was abused, but does tell that it wasn't up to the usage. If the John Deere is an expensive pain to buy, you might try a few alternatives. Cut them and the JD apart and see what you find. A tractor isn't something you get tired of or junk because the power windows failed. I wouldn't use a filter that looked inferior to the JD inside.

*I have to admit, I never checked my stealer.

Filter media area is not the only thing, but it is an important detail for comparison...

There are other reasons that additional sq inches of media are a benefit, over just the filtration quality of that media. More area of the media contributes to more pleats which also contributes to more structural strength for that element. A company could be counterproductive by basing the amount of media needed solely on the minimum required amount for a stated minimum dirt holding capacity. They could be using a media that is technically so efficient that it requires so little filter area that there is not enough to actually support the element properly. The element may be efficient, but weak and unable to handle 3-4 k miles of use.

I had this same decision a few years ago when local shops started changing filter brands, stocking levels, etc..... I have Kubota's and JDs.

In my case, it is easier for me to go to JD and my store is very competive with NAPA(Wix). Between Baldwin and Wix, I occasionally saw cross referencing "glitches" regarding which filter to use(mostly with Baldwin). That bothered me.

I like and use NAPA/WIX filters on my cars, but when I visually compare some of the big tractor filters, sometimes the WIX ones just don't SEEM to be built quite as well (weight, etc.). Probably just my perception/bias.

All of my JD filters(oil, fuel, air) seem to be built like tanks.

My Kubota hyd./tran filter is $28 dollars. The WIX replacement is $8 dollars and weighs about half. Is Kubota gouging me or is the Wix that much of a lesser filter. I don't know, but the Wix almost seems too inexpensive.

A local CAT dealer told me about an expensive engine rebuild due to a "will fit" after market fuel filter that was the wrong micron fitting.

All anecdotal stories, I apologize.

Oil filters are probably not as crucial. But excellent air and hydraulic filters are vital on tractors.

I'm not normally an OEM parts guy, but in this case, I chose to stick with JD for convenience and peace of mind.

Tell us what you decide. Try the purolators once and see how they look and "feel" compared to the JD's. Unfortunately, there isn't much else you can really compare regarding true performance.

I order my Kubota filters here.

http://www.tractorsmart.com/enter.htm

My first order was made online at 6 am on a Monday morning. When I came home from work the next day, (Tuesday), there was a box on our front deck. What is that I thought. I only had ordered one item and that was yesterday. Well, those were the filters I ordered the day before and they came from Johnson City, Tenn. to Hillsborough, N.C. Was I pleased or what!! All you do is find your model number, click, and all the right filters and parts come up.

I would definately go away from the OEM John Deere. John Deere just like many other major manufaturers takes bids from filter supliers and typically the cheapest bid gets it. You may buy two of the exact same number at the exact same time and there is no guarentee as to who made each.
All NAPA filters are made by WIX. Granted there will be times when you get a WIX filter from JD as well but buying at your local NAPA store will guarentee you a WIX filter each time. Your NAPA numbers for your filters are 1365 & 1064.
To compare filters you need to do a cut away and use a micrometer to get the exact specs as well as look up the micron rating on both filters. NAPA can tell you the micron rating on any filter they sell and if you go on the WIX website you can find out what all the other details as well because WIX is not afraid to share the exact specs.
Here is the page for the 1064. http://wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51064

6 year old thread resurrected?
21.gif

Sorry to burst your bubble, napa parts guy, but WIX is not perfect either.

I bought a NAPA Gold air filter for an aerial lift engine and it simple would not seal in the air box. Had I not been observant, the engine would have been ruined.

My first NAPA gold air filter for my daughter's Sebring was made in Korea and had superb fit and finish. The second one was USA made and was too short to seal and had poor rubber castings.

On an older Kubota, Wix had an incorrect interchange in their catalog that I discovered......

Last year I replaced my Wix/Napa gold diesel bulk tank filter assembly and the unit came with a defective internal filter tube. I brought it to Wix's attention and they admitted that a number of them were manufactured with the tube installed upside down....causing a poor seal on the filter element.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back