Selling a used riding mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtb

Has anyone ever had good luck doing this? I recently moved to a home with a much smaller yard, and would like to get rid of my Craftsman riding mower. All I need now is a push mower, riding in a .25 acre lot is ridiculous.

Have you ever had success selling a riding mower? Can you get a good price for one?

Put it on craigslist ,there are many on there this time of year,and yes you will have success selling this way,ideal time of year.

I've tried buying mowers on craigslist, but I never get any luck doing so. They're usually sold or the person isn't REALLY interested in selling it. It couldn't hurt to try.

Originally Posted By: 40Deluxe
Put it on craigslist ,there are many on there this time of year,and yes you will have success selling this way,ideal time of year.

Yep, Craigslist is a pretty good place to sell things locally...plus its free.

Yes -- I've been looking for one locally, and CL is the place to sell/buy. The Cubs and Deeres go fast and high $ (might as well buy new). If you were "somewhere" in KS or MO, I'd be interested
smile.gif
. How big, new, etc. is yours? They typically go for 300-600 around here -- depending on condition and size.

I sold my Cub ZTR 8hrs after posting the listing on CL a few days ago. I hated to do it given it was only just over a year old, but the 'new' home we're moving to in a few weeks needs less than 0.5 acres mowed. Silly to keep it for that.

Last year my Case 220 garden tractor sold pretty quick on CL too. A few days IIRC. I bought it to tinker with. Did some re-building on it and re-sold it.

I've also fixed up and sold snowblowers that way with good success.

Joel

Originally Posted By: vtb
Have you ever had success selling a riding mower? Can you get a good price for one?

The answer to your first question is yes, and the answer to your second question is double-yes. I sold a 2001 model Murray rider with a 17.5hp Tecumseh single for 400 bucks on Craigslist. I had it sitting in the yard during our yard sale that Saturday with $250 on the hood, but nobody asked about it. That next week, I looked on CL, saw tons of riding mowers going for $350 minimum, and put it up there for $400. I got my asking price in a very short while...same day as I recall.

24 hp Craftsman, bought brand new in May 09. 46 inch deck, only about 50 hours on the thing.

Very well maintained except scuffs on paint from run ins with tree branches. Wix filter changed at 5 hours, 25 hours, and now has a new one on it. PYB used.

Also have steel dump cart that attaches to it.

Looks like you can buy new similar for $1400 --> 1600 -- unless it's a Craftsman Pro? You could start at around $800-->900. Any more, and most will buy new. Since yours is a larger, more expensive model, it may be more difficult to sell. You'll probably take a beating on it since it's so new.

post up the model-and pics-does it have the grass collection system/bagger? where in PA, etc maybe you'll sell it here-there is a for sale forum

Last edited:
Freakin' A!!

Had a guy look at it, we bargained to $1100, and agreed on a time for him to pick it up. He calls me the day before and says, "I just realized, I don't have anywhere to store it, so I'm not buying it."

/stares at phone in disbelief and disgust

I stored it outside under a tarp for two years, with no ill effects, I tell him. He says he can't do that.

If I could strangle through the phone, I would have.

Oh yeah. I've dealt with some real dirt bags when selling used stuff. Set an "appointment" to buy and never show up. Come with less cash than agreed upon or show up with a personal check, just to name a few.

I sell 1 riding mower for every 15 I take in and only when it's a really good machine I know will last for a few years. I've never had one on Craig's List for more than a few hours. I always upload a video of me mowing grass with it on You Tube and attach the link to my ad. I tell them on the video not to bother if they can't meet my price.

that's craigslist for you. I buy a lot of stuff and people always seem amazed when I show up, we agree on a price, and I actually have cash. I always hear "you're the 50th person to email and the 3rd to show up and the only one who wasn't a total [censored]!"

But I also sell a lot on CL and I know how it works. I deal with the [censored] and keep firm on my price and ALWAYS end up getting it.

I think the guy just decided to spend his money on a smaller, new tractor. He was mulling that over when we met.

Whatever, just don't waste my time.

Now I'm going to keep the tractor I think. It's big for my yard, but it cuts well, runs well, and it'll do.

I'm trying to sell my Yamaha YT3600 rider on craigs list right now. only had one offer in two days, but I don't mind holding out. I have all the time in the world to sell it.
He asked if I would go down considerably on the price, but didn't read my post.
I told him there were some tin cans for 500$ he might be interested in on there. ha.
I'm asking 1000.

paitence is the key on craigslist. i had my motocross bike on craigslist for a month and out of the blue a guy called, came and looked at, and gave me my full asking price without any haggling.

Originally Posted By: 660mag
I'm trying to sell my Yamaha YT3600 rider on craigs list right now.

That's a cool looking beast right there! I had to Google that model #. Never saw one before. Bet it was expensive new.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back