Spark plugs for Ford 4.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how old the spark plugs are in my '97 F-150, but I just cot an OBD code of 0306, miss in cylinder 6, so it may be time to change them.

The Motorcraft Platinum is $4.99, the Bosch Platinum Plus is $2.99, Autolite Double Platinum is $4.49, Iridium plugs are $7.00 and up.

I don't want to spend more money than necessary, but I don't want to "cheap out" either. So if any of you could recommend a plug, I'd appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I would recommend using the exact type of sparkplug the factory put in the engine.

Absolutely right. Nothing better than Motorcraft double platinums for those. The correct plug should be listed on the emission decal under the hood.

Champion makes a sparkplug that's designed not to break off in the cylinder head as the factory ones do (if I'm not mistaken).

I'd use those. Hopefully you don't have this issue upon removal.

If you have the 4.6 without the spark plug break-off issue, then I understand that 4.6 stands a good chance of having the spark-plug blow-out issue. That issue is solved by properly torquing the new spark plug into the head. Check your owner's manual for the exact spec, but IIRC it's 28# of torque.

Motorcraft. Twice I have gotten random misfires from new Autolites in Ford Modular engines...not sure why, but Motorcraft plugs took care of it.

As for the torque spec, I have seen different values in different books. I have always targeted 13 ft-lbs, but ask your local Ford dealer to look it up if you don't have a service manual handy.

Motorcraft or Autolite Double Platinum. The '97s also still had plug wires (Not COP) so those are worth a check as well. Motorcraft or Napa's plug wires are all that I would use there (and did on both my '97 and '99 F150 with the 4.6).

These do not have the plugs breaking off issue. These are the engines with the chance of a plug blowing instead.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Champion makes a sparkplug that's designed not to break off in the cylinder head as the factory ones do (if I'm not mistaken).

I'd use those. Hopefully you don't have this issue upon removal.

If you have the 4.6 without the spark plug break-off issue, then I understand that 4.6 stands a good chance of having the spark-plug blow-out issue. That issue is solved by properly torquing the new spark plug into the head. Check your owner's manual for the exact spec, but IIRC it's 28# of torque.

The 3V ('04+) is the engine with the plugs getting stuck. Anything earlier had the blow-out issue.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
AWSF-32PP is the reco. Is there a new number?

That number has been superceded 3 times.

If using the old spark plug numbering system the current plug is a AGSF-32FM. Using the new system its a SP-432.

We replace so many plugs in the shop due to non Motorcraft plugs causing misfires and other drivability issues.

MNgopher said:
Motorcraft or Autolite Double Platinum. The '97s also still had plug wires (Not COP) so those are worth a check as well. Motorcraft or Napa's plug wires are all that I would use there (and did on both my '97 and '99 F150 with the 4.6).

I believe Motorcraft plugs are manufactured by Autolte.

I would lean toward Autolite Double Plats.....mainly because they a good rebate going now ($1.50 per plug)....which you can apply toward a new set of wires.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back