Amsoil 0W-30 Honda S2000 39,524 mi OCI w/bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my latest UOA with my '03 Honda S2000. I went one year and 39,524 miles on this UOA using Amsoil SSO 0W-30 with an Amsoil BMK-13 bypass filter and a prelube pump. These were mostly highway miles.

39524mileUOA6-3-11.jpg

My setup has been working great, however I swapped out the prelube pump for a new one with this oil change since my original ShurFlo pump started to take a long time to get pressure, especially this past winter in cold weather. Here is my setup.
grin.gif

Wow. When I heard Honda was easy on oil, I had no clue.
About 10 years ago I owned an Integra changed the oil every 3000. Now I feel guilty

Also, love the S2000 set up - If we all set up our engines like that Jiffy Lube would be out of business and we would only log onto BITOG once a year.

Last edited:
Wow.. congrats on one of the longest OCI's I've ever seen... with great wear too..

makes me wonder what I could squeeze out of my civic...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: needsducktape
Wow. When I heard Honda was easy on oil, I had no clue.
About 10 years ago I owned an Integra changed the oil every 3000. Now I feel guilty

Also, love the S2000 set up - If we all set up our engines like that Jiffy Lube would be out of business and we would only log onto BITOG once a year.

No kidding about the OCI. I ran Mobil 1 3k intervals on my Civic as a teen. I didn't know any better.

Since you added 1 quart of oil every 6-7k miles and the TBN is still very high after almost 40k miles with very little wear metal, I think you may be able to extend the OCI to 1.5 years or 60k miles.

Did you change either bypass or full flow filter during this OCI ?

Bypass systems on normal gasoline engines sure give amazing results. Grats on the most impressive UOA I've ever seen!

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Bypass systems on normal gasoline engines sure give amazing results. Grats on the most impressive UOA I've ever seen!

+1 Wow, impressive results for sure. I also think the pre-lube pump is a big plus too, it totally eliminates dry starts and gives oil pressure before the key is even turned. I realize the impressive results are a combination of good filtering, and the pre-luber. I'd love to know which is the main contributor? That would make for some interesting debates and experiments. At any rate keep up the good job!

Thanks for the compliments.
smile.gif

I did not change the filters between oil changes. Occasionally I touched the bypass filter when I had a warm engine to make sure I didn't have a plugged bypass filter, but it was always hot.

The oil gradually got very dark and became an opaque black/brown color by the time I changed the oil, suggesting that it was not filtering out the fine soot. But after the oil change, the new bypass filter cleaned up any remaining soot - I've put another 2,000 mile since this oil change and the oil still looks new (transparent) on the dipstick.

I was planning on going 40,000 miles on this OCI but the timing on my trips didn't work out. Besides - I was down a quart of oil on June 3rd so I had to either add another quart or change it before a long business trip.

I really don't see a change in oil consumption on this car over time, however it seems to burn a little more when I drive aggressively - after all, it is an S2000. The car still runs like new.

Amazing. You honestly don't have to change the oil on this engine anymore - just keep it topped off, and change filters every 2 years or 60k.

You said you changed filters during this OC. Besides starting off with both new filters with the new oil, how many times did you change the primary filter and by pass filter during the OCI?

Add me to the list of "wow's!" The pre-oiler, Amsoil and the fact that cylinder liners are a composite material must each have played a major role in this remarkable UOA.

As an aside, if I (6'6" tall) could have fit in these cars, I would have owned a dozen of them and kept every one. Brilliant engine design.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Amazing. You honestly don't have to change the oil on this engine anymore - just keep it topped off, and change filters every 2 years or 60k.

I agree, with the bypass and pre-lube setup just change the filters once in a while(may be once a year) and top off when needed, then may be change oil and filters at 100k or 120k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back