85 Jetta Diesel Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 85 Jetta with the 1.6 naturally aspirated diesel engine that has solid lifters and a non-roller cam. I am in the process of doing a rebuild on the motor and I am wondering if I should bother finishing it because I've noticed the oil specifications have gotten to a point that gasoline engines with non-roller cams seem to failing and the diesel specifications are changing, as well. Is this something I need to be concerned with?

Any pointers or information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I had a '91 Jetta Diesel (non-turbo) and had great luck running Rotella 5W40 in it (sometimes 15W40 in the summer). That is what I would still be using if I had it today. With a good Diesel(HDEO)-spec oil you will be fine.

I dont think the Diesel Oils are that far gone yet. I wouldnt be afraid to run a good CJ4 Oil like Shell Rotella T6 5W40 Synthetic.

If you prefer the older CI4+ with more zinc you can still get it from various sources. Chevron Delo 400 (CI4+) is still sold alongside Delo 400LE (CJ4). You can also get high zinc formulas from boutique sources like Amsoil and Redline as well as some tractor manufacturers.

Thanks for the information, everyone. I was hoping I wasn't rebuilding something I could use. Please pardon my lack of knowledge on oils, but another idea I had was to run the TDI-PD oil in it if cam wear was something to really fret, but I don't know if it would be beneficial.

I have the same engine in my rabbit and I use the BMW high performance oil 5w30 SM/CF for over 40k miles with no problems. I recently put a timing belt on it and verified the top end is extremely clean. Oil consumption is very low and gets 5000 mile oil changes cause I am running WVO.

Originally Posted By: jbm2k6
Thanks for the information, everyone. I was hoping I wasn't rebuilding something I could use. Please pardon my lack of knowledge on oils, but another idea I had was to run the TDI-PD oil in it if cam wear was something to really fret, but I don't know if it would be beneficial.

I'd stay away from PD spec oil. (VW 505.01) They minimize the add pack for one test for cam wear. Your engine will love the standard old syn 5w40s - Rotella, M1 Turbo Diesel&Truck, Schaeffer's 9000, or even the 15w40s - Delo, Rotella, Schaeffer's 7000 if the climate allows.

How sound is the old VW body? Rabbit, no?

Originally Posted By: ChiTDII'd
I'd stay away from PD spec oil. (VW 505.01) They minimize the add pack for one test for cam wear. Your engine will love the standard old syn 5w40s - Rotella, M1 Turbo Diesel&Truck, Schaeffer's 9000, or even the 15w40s - Delo, Rotella, Schaeffer's 7000 if the climate allows.

How sound is the old VW body? Rabbit, no?

Thanks for the insight on the PD oil. I didn't realize that it was like that. I was just afraid that these newer oil specs were going to tear up my car's cam based on what its doing to gas cars. I was thinking about 5W40 for it, too.

It is actually a 4 door Jetta. First year for the Mk II, as well. All things considered, it is in remarkably good shape, as these cars can get rather rusty. It has some surface rust here and there, plus some where the vapor barriers let water in the car behind the door cards, but I've got most of that neutralized. I ripped the interior out once I found that the carpet was mushy. I just need to get the interior back together, along with a new windshield, the motor finished up, and it'll be good to go. It was a pleasure to drive when I had it on the road before, but, it won't win any races, haha. My sister even made the comment that it sounded like a tractor. My response was at least my tractor is pretty fuel efficient. :)

Last edited:
I had a 1992 Jetta TD 1.6L 5sp that got great fuel economy, I hit above 4.8L/100kms (48mpgUS) pretty regularly on the highway, a few times I would get 4.4L/100kms (53mpgUs). Alas it was a quirkie machine, I used regular 15w40 in it except for in the winter when it got 0w40. I sold it at 245,000kms(153,125 miles).

It was a love-hate relationship with that car some times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back