Keeping Rubber Pliable and Durable

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a Ford 500 with the CVT, there's an upper motor mount called a "Roll Resistor"... it's been known to tear after it dries out. Many guys see it fail at 4-6 years regardless of mileage. Mine is 5 years, and 43K miles old. I inspected it, and it's still healthy, but there's some stress marks.

Is there a product that can be applied to it to keep the rubber strong and supple?

Thanks

Vaseline petroleum jelly or a silicone spray might work. However, many people feel that petroleum deteriorates rubber and plastic. Almost every product sold as a lube seems to contains some form of petroleum product/additive with the exception of vegetable oil or the spray form.

Yes, petroleum oil will swell rubber. In the lab, this sweliing can be used to indicate the crosslink density of rubber. Your best bet is to use silcone. I would spray it with a silicone spray, let it absorb over night and then rub the outside of the rubber with dielectric grease which is a silicone, not petroleum, grease.

However, over time the rubber will fail due to the stress and srain experienced during operation of the vehicle. You can probably delay it a good while but if the part is under engineered, then failure will be a consequence.

I wonder if applying some Liqui-Moly Motor Oil Saver, an ester based oil additive to swell plastic/rubber seals, would do anything to the rubber.
confused.gif

Real Silicone spray may help[[not just a name on the can].

But count this part as an item that needs replacing.
Nothing you can do will counter the heat and loads on it over time.

I use Scott's liquid gold wood spray. Believe it or not, it shines rubber nicely and protects it. Its available everywhere. I've been using it for years.

Most Volvos have a similar mount, the upper "tourque" mount wears/fails fast, just replaced mine with a poly mount made by a company that specializes in Volvo (IPD), maybe something like this is availble for your 500? The only drawback, for some, is that it transfers vibration more than the rubber.

I doubt the unit is rubber but, a polymer based material. If that is true then nothing will help. Just check it at each oil change and replace when needed.

Aerospace 303 protectant makes some pretty stout claims regarding vinyl and rubber protection. Maybe give them a jingle and ask.

i dont realy dont know much about chemicals. but i do know a person that does. he says that o-zone distorys rubber, and that tire makers put chemicals in tires to protect it from o-zone. and if you put dressings on it, that limits the protection put in by the tire maker.

^How? By protecting the protection?!
crazy2.gif
I don't get that. For instance, I've used 303 on tires with some age in the hopes of preventing them from dry rotting and/or appear as bad, but to suggest it actually could cause them to degrade faster? Perhaps not using it on a 'new' tire and if we're talking about chemicals to clean tires, I could see some being more than just a cleaner and degrade the rubber some. I'd like to know a protectant that eats away at a protective chemical that was put into the tires during manufacturing.

Last edited:
slimjim,

The 303 site claims that tires have embedded "waxes" that migrate to the surface to give protection. They claim:

"Petrochemicals and silicone oils can remove the protective waxes and increase the rate of degradation. Common automotive "protectants" and "tire dressings" are typically devoid of UV stabilizers of any type and contain petrochemicals and/or silicone oils which dissolve away the protective waxes and can actually aggress the sidewall. In the event of warranty sidewall failure, one of the first things tire manufacturers look for is evidence of the use of these types of products. When found, this is often cause for not warranting the sidewall failure."

The "experts" say to stay away from clear, greasy type tire dressings and only use "milky" watery type products.
21.gif

Take it for what it's worth.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
slimjim,

The 303 site claims that tires have embedded "waxes" that migrate to the surface to give protection. They claim:

"Petrochemicals and silicone oils can remove the protective waxes and increase the rate of degradation. Common automotive "protectants" and "tire dressings" are typically devoid of UV stabilizers of any type and contain petrochemicals and/or silicone oils which dissolve away the protective waxes and can actually aggress the sidewall. In the event of warranty sidewall failure, one of the first things tire manufacturers look for is evidence of the use of these types of products. When found, this is often cause for not warranting the sidewall failure."

The "experts" say to stay away from clear, greasy type tire dressings and only use "milky" watery type products.
21.gif

Take it for what it's worth.

That's correct regarding tires. "Protectants" (even the old standby ArmorAll) will do more harm to a tire than good. About the only thing they are good for is dressing up its appearance.

I don't know about it being an "embeded wax" but there are UV inhibitors along with some sort of elastomer conditioner in tire rubber to help prevent deterioration. The UV inhibitors job is obvious. The other compounds in the tire are designed to keep it felxible and are "kneeded and worked through" the tire as you drive it (as it bounces/flexes), which is why its a bad idea to leave a vehicle setting for months on end without taking it out for a moderate length drive (30mi or so) since those conditioners don't have a chance to get "worked through" the tire.

Tire dressings or protectants will strip away the UV inhibitors causing faster deterioration of the tires rubber. Not sure of their effect on the rubber conditioners in the tires compound.

As for keeping rubber pliable and durable - pure silicone spray (food grade is the best as its the "purest"). I've got a can of CRC Heavy Duty Silicone Spray multipurpose lubericant that lists rubber on the back as an appropriate application and also lists that it meets the FDA requirements for silicone lubes that may have incidental contact with food. I wipe my door seals down with it 3 or 4 times a year. You can pick it up at most parts stores (and Walmart) for under $2.00

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boomer
Yes, petroleum oil will swell rubber. In the lab, this sweliing can be used to indicate the crosslink density of rubber. Your best bet is to use silcone. I would spray it with a silicone spray, let it absorb over night and then rub the outside of the rubber with dielectric grease which is a silicone, not petroleum, grease.

However, over time the rubber will fail due to the stress and srain experienced during operation of the vehicle. You can probably delay it a good while but if the part is under engineered, then failure will be a consequence.

+2: 100% silicone spray and silicone grease.

I have always used silicone spray on CV boots but that would be for bellows lubrication more than preservation.

My air level shocks in the rear of my GM looked like alligator skin inside the fold last time I had it jacked up. These electro/mechaniacal/hydraulic air shocks are $400 ea just for the part.

I hate the thought of the unnessesary entire shock replacement to repair the air bladder. I don't see anything that will reverse this deterioration. They don't leak yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back